Biggest popstar of 70's?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I grew up listening the best pop artists of 80' and 90's, but who's the biggest popstar of the 70's, Elton john or Stevie wonder?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    tonadax wrote:
    I grew up listening the best pop artists of 80' and 90's, but who's the biggest popstar of the 70's, Elton john or Stevie wonder?

Bee Gees
    the Minions
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    David Bowie had a hit practically every year of the 70's!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I don't think either one. My votes would go for like the bands The Partridge Family, Jackson Five, Osmond Brothers. Those were like really pop music. Also, the Carpenters, Eric Carmen, The Raspberries.

Maybe I will think of more now that you have peaked my interest.

good question.........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • In the UK, there was no competition: Marc Bolan, by millions of miles, between 1971 and 1973. His high point was brief, but unrivalled, that decade. He never found major success in the States, but here, he was the biggest thing since The Beatles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjurGkVtbE0
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    In the UK, there was no competition: Marc Bolan, by millions of miles, between 1971 and 1973. His high point was brief, but unrivalled, that decade. He never found major success in the States, but here, he was the biggest thing since The Beatles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjurGkVtbE0

I LOVE Marc Bolan!!!

I was turned on to Electric Warrior (The album) when Bang A Gong was on and I find it a shame that most people will never know him past that here in the states.

He was an awesome musician. I love him as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti8sMxPwC4U
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • redsdiseaseredsdisease Posts: 147
    Meat Loaf.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Something very bad, whatever it is. Worst decade for pop music, in my opinion. Ugh. Okay, I'll take Meatloaf.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Neil Diamond.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Tom Jones?
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    gabers wrote:
    Something very bad, whatever it is. Worst decade for pop music, in my opinion. Ugh. Okay, I'll take Meatloaf.

It's my favorite decade for music.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    POPSTAR??? Elton John
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    It's my favorite decade for music.

Some of the best rock and roll ever made came from the 70's. But pure pop music? Piles and piles of crap. And then there was Meatloaf. :D
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    Um...Shaun Cassidy? That was my first concert of choice at the age of 9. :o

J/K of course :D
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    ive heard the BAY CITY ROLLERS were quite huge
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    ive heard the BAY CITY ROLLERS were quite huge

Not as hot as Shaun though. :D
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I'd have to vote for Elton John. There are probably some numbers to support that.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Elton John probably can't be beat for pure pop gold. Don't forget Peter Frampton tho--in the day he was pretty big.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    In the UK Rod Stewart and Slade were bigger than Elton John, they had more hits anyway.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Elton John and Stevie Wonder were huge in the 70s. ABBA as well.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com