Glam metal vs Nu metal?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Wich one was worse?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    tough one. going with Nu. worse than a 3rd grade orchestra.
    I love to turn you on
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Nu Metal - korn, slipknot, system of a down, deftones,

Glam Metal - Quiet Riot, Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Helix, W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, and Stryper.

im undecided. :)
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    easily nu metal. Glam Metal folks at least knew how to have a good time and weren't fuck nugetts.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Say what you will, glam metal was at least fun in a camp kind of way, and had some talented musicians. Nu-metal? Not so much.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Glam > Nu. I've found I can still listen to Glam Metal in small doses from time to time. Never with Nu Metal.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Overall glam metal is more tuneful, in its insane silly sort of way, so glam > nu.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Helix....hilarious (Give me an R.......)

My glam metal period lasted a hell of a lot longer than my Nu so Glam > Nu.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Goodness what a choice.Im to old to really get into nu.It would have looked pretty sad.
    But I lived the whole way through the glam stuff and managed to avoid any affiliation with it!LOL
    But if forced I would say glam.At least they knew how to have a laugh.Nu has always been po faced.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Nu Metal at its worst beats the shit out of Glam ANYTHING....
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Nu Metal at its worst beats the shit out of Glam ANYTHING....

Even T. Rex?:eek:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Even T. Rex?:eek:

Oh T Rex were on a different plane.If the 70's are to be considered the choice is huge.Could bring in Bowie for the ultimate chameleon.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Even T. Rex?:eek:

T. Rex is OK but as a genre, Glam is quite embarrassing.. much more so than Nu Metal which spawned some decent bands: early Korn, Incubus, Deftones and System of a Down.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Limp Bizkit was a Nu Metal band [/thread]
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    glam was god awful, thankfully just caught the end

anyone who picks glam should post their age, and thus revealing to all, the only reason they picked it, and that was, they lived through it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    This question might be impossible to answer, both are just sooooooo damn bad
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Nu Metal produced better overall bands (Korn, Deftones, System Of a Down, Incubus) but also the worst (Limp Bizkit, Powerman 5000, Linkin Park).

In my opinion all Glam sucks so I vote Nu Metal.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Hmmmm.....

having trouble puttin Deftones in the nu metal camp....I adore them but hate Linkin Park, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit and Korn....Deftones are in a league of their own......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    That depends on what constitutes "nu-metal." Even glam metal is better than shit like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and P.O.D. But if you include as nu-metal bands like Incubus and Disturbed, then I'm in the minority.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Odin wrote:
    That depends on what constitutes "nu-metal." Even glam metal is better than shit like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach and P.O.D. But if you include as nu-metal bands like Incubus and Disturbed, then I'm in the minority.

Incubus is certainly not metal. They are more toward Prog than Nu metal. Disturbed is one of the more talented from that group and in truth they are very good, though I HATE the radio for playing the Phil Collins song incessantly and the lead singer should be fined greatly for making that grunting thing popular. So many horrible bands have been formed with grunters.

I like Avenged Sevenfold a little too mainly when the singer shuts up and they play.

Nu Metal has opened "singing" to a lot of people who really can't. Same deal with guitar playing. Um...dear Korn.....please buy a tuner. 7 pitch shifters do not equal playing in tune. Volume does not equal talent.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I wouldn't consider Incubus nu-metal. If anything, they're what happens to grunge when it evolves. I always thought they stood out from the terrible radio rock that came out of the late 90's.
  • If you asked me this question back in late 90's early 00's i would have said nu-metal. but things have changed since then so i will go with glam.
  • Hot Chicks Love Incubus so it is really irrelevant wether I like them or not. Im going to the show for the chicks!!!

As for the question of thread its Glam. There was a energy in Glam that Nu metal seems to miss.
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • Nu Metal produced better overall bands (Korn, Deftones, System Of a Down, Incubus) but also the worst (Limp Bizkit, Powerman 5000, Linkin Park).

In my opinion all Glam sucks so I vote Nu Metal.
    i think system of a down is an awesome band and im really digging serj's new solo album. . .and i like linkin park. . .their studio albums were good and they put on a good show. . .and chester is a cool dude, i met him once. . .i used to like korn but there stuff has got pretty stale

fuck glam metal
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Glam metal - musicianship, guitar solos, dudes who could sing, songs about parties

Nu metal - cheap riffs, no solos, dudes who can't sing, songs about how much life blows (but not providing reasons why)

i think Nu Metal is clearly worse
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Glam metal had talented musicians but is an embarrassing part of rock history. I'd rather go with nu metal which produced some good albums (very early korn, soad, incubus, deaftones, snot) over some guys wearing spandex.
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Tough One... I'd rather peel off my skin and have bath in vinegar than listen to some nu-metal bands so I'll go for that.

at least glam has the comedy factor.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Glam Baby!
    NERDS!