the 500 greatest albums of all time

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2006 in Other Music
i´m agree with many albums position here ´´the beatles top 10 doesn´t surprised me´´, but i cant understand how Ten by Pearljam was placed in 207th, and how its posible that superunknown by Soundgarden is in 336 and californication is 399th placed...

while the slim shady-marshall mathers eminem, weezer blue album, and rock steady no doubt over many great albums...
the list is here
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dont get too caught up in this. The fact No Doubt have two albums in the top 500, suggests the chart is bullshit. Dont get me wrong, i have both the No Doubt albums but to say its top 500 of all time.....
    London Calling at No. 8 though.. i'm dissapointed with that...
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It is Rolling Stone, they definitely take into account mainstream success and importance. It would be darn near impossible to list the 500 best albums from start to finish based soley on the quality of music.
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    Pearl Jam's Ten at 107 is a bit too high. and Nevermind at #17, no f'n way. Nirvana is so overrated music wise...they are just very influential.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    I agree with a lot of the list. But no Vs.? And how the fuck are there greatest hits albums and soundtracks included? - that's total crap. No AIC? Some flaws, but a decent list.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Greatest Hits albums should never be included in these lists. Even though pretty much all of them are bullshit anyway, I think this just makes them 10 times worse.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Led Zeppelin 1 above Led Zeppelin 4 and Physical Graffiti?!! NO FUCKING WAY!!!

Let's do what Eddie says he does with his copies of Rolling Stone magizine at Cincinatti...

"...I was like 'no fuck you we're a band!' but they were like 'fuck you we're Rolling Stone!' So I keep 50 copies of this magizine in my bathroom whenever I have to take a shit <wipes ass>...."

PRICELESS!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    the list has no credibility....best example, is Electric Ladyland at number 54. That is easily one of the greatest recordings of all time.... I mean did they even listen to the albums?
    "It's all happening"
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Who comes up with these lists, anyway? It's total BS.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I looked over this quickly i saw 1 country album in the top 100. I don't think i saw any hip hop. That seems odd.

Nice to see A supreme Love, But Kind of blue should be top 5 i would think.

also Ok computer did not make the top 100?

The list is certaintly suspect :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they have the best record ever made at 22.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    jaygreen12 wrote:
    Pearl Jam's Ten at 107 is a bit too high. and Nevermind at #17, no f'n way. Nirvana is so overrated music wise...they are just very influential.

wow. i am shocked. someone on a pearl jam message board slamming nirvana and nevermind. double wow.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    iamica wrote:
    Who comes up with these lists, anyway? It's total BS.

there should be a list of the voters at the end of the list or something to that effect. i do not have the issue handy at the moment, but i know there was a page or two stating how they came up with the list and who the voters were...

remember, it is just a list and it is just rolling stone...put those two together and it shouldn't mean anything to you...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    nevermind is way to high.van halen is not even in the top 20 nor is metallica or g n r. RS sucks.i hate the mag to begin with but this just further proves my point
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• dont get too caught up in this. The fact No Doubt have two albums in the top 500, suggests the chart is bullshit. Dont get me wrong, i have both the No Doubt albums but to say its top 500 of all time.....
    London Calling at No. 8 though.. i'm dissapointed with that...

No disrespect to No Doubt fans, and while some of the picks are fine, the idea that every one of Eminem's fucking records are on there and not ONE FUCKING SLEATER-KINNEY record was on there blows me away. And I know that SK doesn't tickle each the same, but Eminem can't shock us the same way with each album, you know? You made the point. Its possible for white folks to rap, and there will be another good white rapper in the future, but c'mon! SK deserve at least one record on there.

And in my opinion Ten is this band's worst record. That's just me.

PJ Sparks
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i agree with the beatles getting a lot of the top spots but most of the list is bs
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    rollingstone its just name, have you ever read one of their cd reviews, it makes you laugh or even cry.....
    and their list....

led zep 2 over 4?
    nevermind over ten?
    doolitle in the last 200th places?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    why does anyone even care about rolling stones lists, anyways
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    wasn't this made like 4-5 years ago?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.