The Breeders, Screamin Trees, Tad, Pavement.....

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited February 2008 in Other Music
i haven't listened too much music of those indie-alt bands: The Breeders, Screaming Trees, Tad, Pavement. It's really worthy listen to them? wich one it's your favorite, and wich one you recomend me to listen first......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Never really listened to Tad or Breeders. Screeming Trees are one of finest bands ever to grace the earth, and Pavement I can take or leave but are probably as good at what they do as anyone if thats your thing.
  • Pavement is ok. Heard a couple of Tad songs...pretty good grunge. Screaming Trees are killer. Breeders are the best of the bunch, IMO. Buy POD right now.
  • Screaming Trees are one of my all time favorite bands. I will never understand why they never got bigger than they did. Great psychedelic guitar work with some of the best rock vocals you will ever hear courtesy of Mark Lanegan. Very strong songwriting, too. Dollar Bill is just gorgeous. Go buy Sweet Oblivion and Dust immediately.

I don't know much about the other bands you asked about. The only Breeders song I can remember hearing was their radio hit, Cannonball. I thought it was just ok. As far as Kim Deal's bands, I prefer the Pixies. I bought one Pavement album based on reviews and was not blown away by it. I've never really heard Tad.
  • Pavement may very well be the greatest American rock band of all-time. Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, and Wowee Zowee are all classics.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • i like all so listen to all;)
    and than deside
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I've only heard/got Sweet oblivion and dust from the Screaming trees and they are both great albums. Not heard anything by the others tho.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Though it may take awhile to actually get use to, the answer has to be Pavement, hands down. They've been cited by Radiohead, Beck, and even Nirvana as major influences on their music. The lead singer Stephen Malkmus is like the ultimate smart-ass slacker. It doesn't get much more indie, from an alternative rock sound, than Pavement. I started listening to them two, three years ago, and at first they were alright. And gradually, as I listened to more and more stuff, they climbed up to my second favorite band of all time. If they recorded more albums together they'd be in a dead heat with Pearl Jam for me. I went out and bought all their albums before I was really into any of them as a whole, and I found myself liking them in this order Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, Wowee Zowee, Slanted and Enchanted, and then Terror Twilight.

Stephen Malkmus' first solo album is better than Terror Twilight in my opinon. And his next album Stephen Malkmus and the Jinks' Real Emotional Trash (Due out next month) is amazing, and the closest sounding to a Pavement album post-break up. Has a Brighten the Corners vibe. I recommend it in the fullest.

That's all.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • PAVEMENT!! wow this band is incredible. stephen malkmus's lyrics can be funny and playful or incredibly serious. and with his lou reed-esque singing/talking style it's easy to understand what he has to say.

definitely one of the most creative, innovative, and influential rock bands of the 90's. their first two albums are a good starting point (i started with crooked rain, crooked rain)

highly recommend pavement!
    drowning, drinking the light
    god's eyes are closed, just like yours
  • btb002 wrote:
    I found myself liking them in this order Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, Wowee Zowee, Slanted and Enchanted, and then Terror Twilight.

exact same order for me. im glad to see another hardcore pavement fan in here
    drowning, drinking the light
    god's eyes are closed, just like yours
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    PAVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my favorite album is Wowee Zowee....but the album that initially got me into them was Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Slanted & Enchanted is widely considered to be their masterpiece - but ya can't really go wrong with any of them......Brighten the Corners, Watery Domestic EP and Terror Twilight are all fantastic in their own right
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    btb002 wrote:
    Though it may take awhile to actually get use to, the answer has to be Pavement, hands down. They've been cited by Radiohead, Beck, and even Nirvana as major influences on their music. The lead singer Stephen Malkmus is like the ultimate smart-ass slacker. It doesn't get much more indie, from an alternative rock sound, than Pavement. I started listening to them two, three years ago, and at first they were alright. And gradually, as I listened to more and more stuff, they climbed up to my second favorite band of all time. If they recorded more albums together they'd be in a dead heat with Pearl Jam for me. I went out and bought all their albums before I was really into any of them as a whole, and I found myself liking them in this order Crooked Rain, Brighten the Corners, Wowee Zowee, Slanted and Enchanted, and then Terror Twilight.

Stephen Malkmus' first solo album is better than Terror Twilight in my opinon. And his next album Stephen Malkmus and the Jinks' Real Emotional Trash (Due out next month) is amazing, and the closest sounding to a Pavement album post-break up. Has a Brighten the Corners vibe. I recommend it in the fullest.

That's all.

Well said.Pavement are real growers after a while.One of the great American bands,influenced many.
    Love Screaming Trees too,Mark Lanegan has just got the most incredible voice.For his solo stuff try Whisky For The Holy Ghost and for collabarations the stunning and essential Ballad of the Broken Seas with Isobel Campbell,formally of Belle and Sebastian.
    Could never get into Tad apart from his funny cameo role in Singles.
    Breeders only really heard Cannonball.Pixies better.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I do like The Breeders

BUT

I LOVE Screaming Trees, one of the most underrated bands ever!!! You MUST get Dust and Sweet Oblivion!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    tonadax wrote:
    i haven't listened too much music of those indie-alt bands: The Breeders, Screaming Trees, Tad, Pavement. It's really worthy listen to them? wich one it's your favorite, and wich one you recomend me to listen first......

dunno, but The Breeders is a great name :D.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I used to LOVE Pavement. Still like them but don't listen much to be honest. I never loved Slanted & Enchanted til I got into Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. Now I think Slanted is one of the best indie rock albums ever made. A lo-fi masterpiece. Wowee Zowee is also great.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Big "Breeders" fan. Not much to choose from album wise, but Last Splash still gets rotation in my iPod. Good stuff.

Screaming Trees is a no brainer to me also! Got into them waaaay back.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• mole1985 wrote:
    I've only heard/got Sweet oblivion and dust from the Screaming trees and they are both great albums. Not heard anything by the others tho.

Get Buzz Factory and Uncle Anesthesia. Buzz Factory is their last raw album and it's a doozy. Uncle Anesthesia is the album where they shifted to the Sweet Oblivion/Dust sound.

Screaming Trees kick ass, that's the bottom line.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Pavement was a great band but I rarely listen to the albums. In fact, I still need to complete my collection. I just never get around to it.

I also love The Breeders. I've been meaning to buy Pod for years but I keep putting it off. Last Splash is fantastic though.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Screaming Trees
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• i like the breeders more than the pixies