fav Pixies album

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2006 in Other Music
the pixies it´s a great great alt-punk-indie rock band, with a genious guy called frank black -francis black wathever, they released masterpieces: surfer rosa, doolittle, come on pilgrim, trompe le monde and bossanova... my fav is surfer rosa ´´doolittle second´´, an album with great songwriting, distorded guitars, quite catchy and great melodic sound...

song list:

Bone Machine
Break My Body
Something Against You
Broken Face
Gigantic
River Euphrates
Where is my Mind?"
Cactus
Tony's Theme
Oh My Golly
You Fucking Die! I Said...
Vamos
I'm Amazed
Brick Is Red

excellent steve albini production work, joey santiago is one of the most underated lead guitar player, and The pixies ROCKS!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• As much as i really love Surfer Rosa, I whole heartedly believe it's the worst Pixies album. I just don't get what all the hype is about compared to the rest of them.

My favorite really depends on the day.. So much so that I cannot name a favorite :)

Favorite song from each album..

Levitate Me
    Bone Machine
    Hey
    All Over The World
    Letter To Memphis

Come to think of it, my favorite today as of this moment would be either Bossanova or Trompe Le Monde :)

P.S.

I own a VINYL copy of Come On Pilgrim. I just think that's the coolest thing ever... got it at the record exchange.. 9$. The guy working the counter said it was his (along with "Emtpy Glass" by Townshend, "To Bring You My Love" by Pj Harvey and tons of others) and he was sad that he had to let them go.

I basically picked all the ones he had to sell so he knew i had good taste.. said he was glad they were going to a good home and i reaffirmed that.

I yelled out "HOLY FUCK NO FUCKING WAY GUYS GET THE FUCK OVER HERE" when i found it... and then i noticed that PJ Harvey was stuck to the back of Come on Pilgrim.

Greatest day ever.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    this is one of the few bands where i don't have a clear cut favorite album. since theyre so short i listen to a couple in a row anyway.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    It's a tough call, but I'd have to say I'm a Doolittle kind of girl. :D
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    I'll go with Trompe, purely because it was my 1st pixies album. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are equal close 2nd and Bossanova is 3rd but still an awesome album.

My favourite songs are prolly: Debaser, U-mass, Vamos, Dig for Fire and Subbacultcha
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Trompe Le Monde
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Doolittle is better than most bands' "Greatest Hits" albums.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am partial to doolittle.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • maeseymaesey Posts: 6
    i'm going to say that Surfer Rosa has the most sentimental value b/c it was my first and Where is My Mind is obviously one of the greatest songs -ever!!

But technically, i'm going w/ Doolittle for all around almost every song rocks. Gouge Away is my favorite.
  • doolittle for me!!

one of my fave bands :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    JWBusher wrote:
    Doolittle is better than most bands' "Greatest Hits" albums.

i've heard that before and i completely agree.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • I'll go for Doolittle on this one. I love every song on it. Surfer Rosa's in a close second, but I just find Doolittle a better record overall. No matter how you cut it, The Pixies are one of my favorite bands ever.
  • Doolittle- followed closely by Surfer Rosa
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Trompe Le Monde!!

Always has been.. I have no idea why this album is so underrated..

Surfer Rosa is a close 2nd
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I've been itching to get a Pixes album since I saw their preformance on Austin City Limits a little while back, and just last week I picked up one of their albums I wasn't sure which one to get but going into it I know I wanted to get the album with Hey and Here Comes Your Man so I picked up Doolittle and I love it, great music!
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    "Doolittle" & the live disc from the "Death To The Pixies" set are my favotite P's cds.
    I own a VINYL copy of Come On Pilgrim. I just think that's the coolest thing ever...

I just found COP on vinyl last weekend. Right on!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i would liked to seen the pixies on ´grunge´ period 91´95, what would happened to them? maybe they were released 2 or 3 classics albums...
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    When I got Sufer Rosa (my first Pixies album) I absolutly hated it. I thought it was crap and a half. I only got it cause I was way into Nirvana and I heard about them. I would pop it in my cd player all the time for about a year and it never really grew on me. But then one day it did! It is obviously one of the best albums ever. Then I got Doolittle and I thought that sucked too. But then I listend to it again about a month later and I couldnt stop listening to it.

I just got Bossanova a few weeks ago.......and I dont really like it. But I have a feeling it will grow on me just like the others........

I think Doolittle is the best!!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • jammerfall wrote:
    "Doolittle" & the live disc from the "Death To The Pixies" set are my favotite P's cds.

I just found COP on vinyl last weekend. Right on!
    YES

WE RULE. :D

"Make our day"
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    YES

WE RULE. :D

Yes, PJ&T, we so do! ;)
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    tonadax wrote:
    i would liked to seen the pixies on ´grunge´ period 91´95, what would happened to them? maybe they were released 2 or 3 classics albums...

Trompe Le Monde came out in 91.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I'll say Surfer Rosa/ Come on Pilgrim, as that was the first thing I heard. That was when they were combined on one CD, so I think of the two as one record. For the longest time, all I had was a dub from a friend's CD, and by the time I bought them to own, they were only available seperately. As a result, if I listen to one, I have to listen to the other.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • I'll say Surfer Rosa/ Come on Pilgrim, as that was the first thing I heard. That was when they were combined on one CD, so I think of the two as one record. For the longest time, all I had was a dub from a friend's CD, and by the time I bought them to own, they were only available seperately. As a result, if I listen to one, I have to listen to the other.
    I don't know why but i love your quote.

"Make our day"
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    one word:

BOSSANOVA! :D

I know most people don't love this album, but I do. I love it how it just connects from one song to another. the album flows very well, opening up w/Cecila Ann and closing it with Havilana. Very awesome album to chill out too :D

Am I the only one who LOVES All Over the World? :o
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn