My Morning Jacket

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited January 2007 in Other Music
They will open for Pearl jam in some concerts, and i never heard about them before... but last week i downloaded some songs of them, wordless chorus- off the record and it beats for you, and i admit they play good and listenable rock music...i would like to see them live... of course with pearl jam too...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    My current favorite band

download "One Big Holiday" "Anytime" "Mageetah" "Golden" and have a tissue prepared
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Pat H wrote:
    My current favorite band

download "One Big Holiday" "Anytime" "Mageetah" "Golden" and have a tissue prepared

What he/she said. Get the album It Still Moves. Its unbelievable from start to finish.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Get Z. It's amazing.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • my favorite band. everything is great.

at dawn is my fave album.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I thought they were horrible opening for Pearl Jam. The lead singer was screeching and was atrocious. The music and jamming was good but as soon as the singer opened his mouth I couldn't take it.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I thought they were horrible opening for Pearl Jam. The lead singer was screeching and was atrocious. The music and jamming was good but as soon as the singer opened his mouth I couldn't take it.

really? i thought his voice sounds incredible live. it sure beats the wailing of sleater-kinney.

does anyone know anything about their live album/dvd? i saw a post on it at some point but now i cant find it anywhere by searching...
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    It probably has to do with my dislike for that vocal style. I can't stand any of the vocalists of this indie rage.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
    pj_zombie wrote:
    It probably has to do with my dislike for that vocal style. I can't stand any of the vocalists of this indie rage.

i cant usually either, but he reminded me more of some 70s crooner. almost like rush or something. i dig it. but to each their own.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    They are great, I think Z is the best place to start, if you like the last 3 songs then get It Still Moves. They have a double live album coming out next month.
    CM1847 wrote:
    They are great, I think Z is the best place to start, if you like the last 3 songs then get It Still Moves. They have a double live album coming out next month.

where can i find info on this?
    where can i find info on this?
    I'm not sure, I read about it on a MB at first a few weeks ago and couldn't find any solid info. But it leaked, so it definitely exists. I thought it might be a UK only release but recently I saw an article about it with a tracklisting, sorry I can't seem to find it though. It is coming out late September from what I remember.
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    I just checked them out on "Austin City Limits" last night & thought they were great........that song "Dondante" is gorgeous!

So should I get "It Still Moves"? Recommendations? I think I'll pick up "Z" to start with.....

Thanks.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    pick up it still moves first!!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    kdpjam wrote:
    pick up it still moves first!!!

Thanks, I'll check it out - maybe I'll just get both.....:-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonokos

There is a wiki on it, the same information I read before.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I'm not sure, I read about it on a MB at first a few weeks ago and couldn't find any solid info. But it leaked, so it definitely exists. I thought it might be a UK only release but recently I saw an article about it with a tracklisting, sorry I can't seem to find it though. It is coming out late September from what I remember.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=CRCA86210-2

and yes it leaked.
  • the order to get the albums is:

1. It still moves
    2. At dawn (my personal fave)
    3. Z
    4. Tennesee Fire
    5. Ch. 1
    6. Ch. 2
    7. All of the EP's
  • Great band!!!

My favorites songs are Off the record, Gideon and where to begin

"Z" is such an amazing record and I've heard they are pretty good live, I saw them on Letterman and they were awesome!!!! Glad the guys like them

Listen to "Band of Horses" they are from seattle, I'm sure they are influence by My morning Jacket, I recommend that band also!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
    they are good how can i get a download of "it makes no difference" with ed it sounded fantastic at the meodowlands ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    resurrecting this MMJ thread to ask some basics.

I recently got Z and it really is unbelievable. Lay Low is probably one of the best songs of the year IMO:)

So my question is.. what should i get? I went to best buy and got what they had and so far i am not sure what to think. of course it was "the sandwich cometh" which is a demo/covers CD: but i also got the live album which is damn good.

So umm.. what else should i try out by them? incase they changed sounds, i REALLY REALLY would like a suggestion of an album that would be anywheres near the sound of Z.
  • they only have 4 studio albums and the other 3 dont sound like Z.

it still moves is probably your best bet from here, although i think at dawn is better.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I saw MMJ last Friday....great show....I got to watch soundcheck...they really rocked, even in front of 10 people.

I saw them open for PJ 2x.....I reckon I was too focused on PJ to give them a huge chance those nights....I remember seeing them open for the Doves in 2002...they were so metal-like back then!

I have the new live dvd and cd...gonna give them a go tomorrow night!
  • The Tennessee Fire takes a little to get into, but once you do, it is awesome.

At Dawn
    The Tennessee Fire
    Z
    It Still Moves

That's how I rank 'em. Most to least. At the moment anyway.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • they are good how can i get a download of "it makes no difference" with ed it sounded fantastic at the meodowlands ........

this was such a surprise in 2006...best cover ever!

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2006-06-01.dpa4023.shnf
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    I've have also found myself dippin' into some MMJ:D
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I discovered that band when I heard they would open for PJ in Paris.
    I bought "Z" and I liked it.
    Then, it became better and better each time I listened to it.
    Okonokos is also awesome.
    "Lay low" followed by "Donate" is incredible...
    I just ordere the vinyl and can't wait to have it...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    yeah.. i am listening to "It Still Moves" for the first time as i am typing this.. "I Will Sing You Songs" is bouncing off my walls and all i can think is.. WOW

in my opinion, this is what a lot of music is missing now. extended jams and solo's that let you hear the entire bands talent and not just the one good person in the band that everyone talks about.

they have a strange country meets rock-n-roll sound.

i thought of something earlier today.. MMJ is like Kyuss's cousin from Kansas that is not as bad a stoner as Kyuss is. i don't care if it doesn't make sense to you, it does to me:)
  • Lay Low probably the best song off of Z. And as for having an indie-sounding voice, I don't like "indie" music persay, but this doesn't really fall under that category. it's rock.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • I really like this band now. They were brilliant supporting PJ in Europe, even if come the 5th Italy show it was the same songs I'd heard before! :D

Would definitely go and see them live if they played in the UK
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • hmmm...they're growing on me. pretty neat