• maeseymaesey Posts: 6
    Jeff Buckley
    Pixies
    Thom Yorke
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    Jeff Beck
    Mission of Burma
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    A few people mentioned John Lennon. I think if you have him, you need to include Paul McCartney. Lennon/McCartney songs were gold mines!

Also, I know it's reggae, but he tends to fall more into the rocker crowd, but how about Bob Marley.

And although I'm not an Elvis man (I'm a Beatles man), Elvis probably should be considered as an influential rock star. And Buddy Holly, too (the Beatles at least were influenced by him)!

Shit, nobody mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan!

However, Jimi Hendrix deserves to be at the top of the list in my opinion (and should be on top of everybody's list!!!!).
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Now that's a legitimate answer to the question. Yes, you may like Randy Rhoads or Dave Grohl, but there's a big difference between "enjoyable" and "influential." Without Chuck Berry, there may not have been Elvis, The Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. Without Randy Rhoads, there may not have been... some admittedly killer guitar solos on a couple of Ozzy records.

I like this post - well written and true.
  • I agree with most of the artists already mentioned. There's of course the usuals like Hendrix, Young, CBGB's 70's scene, etc... I'll also add Husker Du, given that they influenced many late 80's/early 90's bands...But they seem overlooked when compared to The Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc...