AIC vs PJ

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Two of the greatest rock bands ever ´´they´re on my top 10´´, i think if pj hadn´t released ten i would pick aic over pj ... i mean pj without alive,black,oceans and even flow wouldn´t be better band than aic...

of course pj has a lot of great songs post-ten...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    lol @ you mentioning all the Ten hit singles, sounds like you need to get to know PJ's whole catalogue a bit more;)

anyways, for me it's no contest, Pearl Jam.

AIC although they were brilliant musicians, made some excellent albums and wore their heart on their sleeve (so to speak) i dont think they can match PJ. In live performance there is no contest. Also, i find that its depressing if i listen to too much AIC, their music can be so sad. On the other hand, i never experience that with PJ, it's always a joy.
  • of course PJ you have to go to the very top to challenge Pearl Jam and imo there is only one band that has been on top of almost every poll for a long time and that's ZEP.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    As much as I love both bands, PEARL JAM EASILY!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    webberf1 wrote:
    lol @ you mentioning all the Ten hit singles, sounds like you need to get to know PJ's whole catalogue a bit more;)

anyways, for me it's no contest, Pearl Jam.

AIC although they were brilliant musicians, made some excellent albums and wore their heart on their sleeve (so to speak) i dont think they can match PJ. In live performance there is no contest. Also, i find that its depressing if i listen to too much AIC, their music can be so sad. On the other hand, i never experience that with PJ, it's always a joy.

AiC were feckin awesome live hardly a no contest, but I think PJ are better both studio and live.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    pj hands down.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    you know what

I think majority will say PJ as its a pearl jam board.

go to the AIC board and as the same, im sure people will say AIC..

so yeah................
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    you know what

so yeah................
    one difference pearl jam fans are an honest bunch
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    so wait... am i gonna be the first to say i love aic more? (albeit by a VERY small margin).
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Aic all the way on this one. Layne I feel had a voice that not many can match, my fav singer ever. Also the melody him and Jerry created together was unmatched. They could blend there voices together so well.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Aic all the way on this one. Layne I feel had a voice that not many can match, my fav singer ever. Also the melody him and Jerry created together was unmatched. They could blend there voices together so well.

The harmony their voices created was awesome, so powerfull.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Not even close, PJ, I would say Soundgarden probably goes goes above AIC also.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    I BrisK I wrote:
    you know what

so yeah................
    my thoughts exactly!
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Was AIC an awsome live band? Were they as good as PJ? The only live thing I've seen is AIC unplugged, and I can hardly stand to watch it. Layne looks horrible, and he just can't sustain a lot of notes the way he does on record.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    I have had this discussion with my brother, and I will try to be unbias, but I don't think they are as good as musicians, AIC that is, i don't think there songs are as good, or albums for that matter. There were great live, but Eddie sounds so much better than Layne did, and I saw them in 93 at he height of their popularity.

Where yes, this is a PJ message board and people are going to always say they are better, we all have to realize one thing....they are better than most bands. They are one of the greatest rock bands of all time. I am sure if you go to Nirvanas message board, they will say they are the best band ever, truth is Pearl Jam was the best band to come out of Seattle, they are the best band from the 90's, and sinec they whole grunge scene, there hasn't been a band better than them. I think other bands could fall into the last category there, including AIC, but PJ really is that good.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    PJ's body of work has had a greater impact on me but I have never felt a connection to a musician like I do with Layne Staley. Eddie is a guy who I would love to sit down and have a beer with and talk about music and politics and stuff but Layne was the kind of guy I just want to give a hug to.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    never seen alice in chains live but i thought that their MTV unplugged was better than pearl jam's, maybe it would have been different if pearl jam had released a few more albums before they done unplugged.

anyways pearl jam wins it for me!
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Evensolo05 wrote:
    never seen alice in chains live but i thought that their MTV unplugged was better than pearl jam's, maybe it would have been different if pearl jam had released a few more albums before they done unplugged.

anyways pearl jam wins it for me!

Pearl Jam did an MTV unplugged? I've never seen it. It must have been pretty bad if AIC's was better.

Honestly, there were moments when it looked like Layne was going to collapse. I loved their albums, especially Dirt, but he was really having problems during the show. Just looking at him sends shivers down my spine thinking about what eventually happened to him.
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436

Yeah thats very true, but that was one of the problems in the final era of the band, Jerry wanted to sing more, and Layne dropped the guitar in the early days to focus more in the singing so...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    tonadax wrote:
    i mean pj without alive,black,oceans and even flow wouldn´t be better band than aic...

I think they would. Alice only released 3 real albums (facelift, dirt, and the self titled one). I guess you can count Jar of Flies too even though it only has 7 songs because it's awesome. still, I think AIC isn't nearly as good as PJ.
    SLH916 wrote:
    Pearl Jam did an MTV unplugged? I've never seen it. It must have been pretty bad if AIC's was better.

no, it's awesome and better than AIC's in my opinion. but AIC's is real good too

here's the mp3s from PJ's show: http://www.f4kin-up.net/fullmp3.asp?P=2
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    AIC had an AMAZING Unplugged show. One of the best unplugged performances I've ever seen a band do.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I could never claim "no contest" to either PJ or AIC winning this vote because
    both bands hold such power in my book. Like was mentioned Jerry and Layne's vocal blending, and harmony was unlkike anythign I'd ever heard. But then again emotion held through vocal cords and resonated into lyrics as is classic with PJ..... But for two completely different reasons these bands have made my lifetime worth owning up to.. So as for who I'd choose to listen to on any given day first will always be different, some days I feel it's more of an AIC day and the others it'll always be PJ first over anyone else.. BUT if ever on any given day PJ takes a back seat to any music ever it's always only AIC.. so that's a hard question for me.. BOTH rule period
  • oh and while you're gonna make bend rule exceptions We Die Young was awesome too and without that true gritted EP we never would have gotte Facelift at all just never forget that that one kicked ass too. :-)
  • Love both Pa' And Ma'...

No matter how cold the winter there's a springtime ahead...
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V