Bohemian Rhapsody

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited January 2008 in Other Music
This song it's one of the greatest of all time and, have it all: piano, opera, guitar riff, guitar solo, low and super high vocal range, it's an masterpiece

Do you would put Bohemian Rhapsody next to Staiway to Heaven in terms of greatness?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    absolutely.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Yup. Awesome awesome song.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    *faints*

oh my god I love the song!!

you can't listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and not be moved by it in some way.

and I don't think you can compare it to anything. (at least none of the songs I've heard in my lifetime.) it's just WOW. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    tonadax wrote:
    This song it's one of the greatest of all time and, have it all: piano, opera, guitar riff, guitar solo, low and super high vocal range, it's an masterpiece

Do you would put Bohemian Rhapsody next to Staiway to Heaven in terms of greatness?

It's a great song.
    For me ledzep are such sacred ground though... I think Mercury and co. were more than just musicians, and genius at what they were doing, but Stairway has an untouchability about it... Bohemian has a caricaturesque quality about it, on the other hand.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Fantastic song...whenever I call my wife's cell phone from home, that song plays for her. Queen is one of her favorite bands.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Great song but I am at the point where I am very sick of hearing it
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    A good song but I think that Hey jude is better than both.

The rest of Queen material isn't anything special.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i listened to it for years in the waynes world days, then gave it a rest and was recently re-blown away by how amazing it is. one of the most unique songs ever. have you guys seen them perform the first part of it at live aid? pretty good. queen in general rocks. i have two dvds, the bowl, and wembley, but i want to get the new one in montreal, has anybody heard about it or got it for christmas?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • fada wrote:

You're out of your freaking mind.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    fada wrote:

Zuh?

Have you never heard Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Bicycle Race, Flash, We are the Champions, We Will Rock You, I Want to Break Free, I Want it All, The Show must Go On, Another one Bites the dust, Under Pressure, Fat Bottomed Girls, Killer Queen and so forth?
    I could go on for a long long time. Queen were an amazing band.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I grew up with Queen. A Night At The Opera was the first LP I ever owned. Can't say I listen to them much now, but it's hard to argue about the quality of their music (especially the first 6 or seven albums). They will always be a special band IMO. Saw them live 3 times (the youtube clip below is from the second time) and they were as good live as anyone I've seen.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951

INDEED
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    tonadax wrote:

DEFINITELY I WOULD!!!

And we shouldn't forget about

Innuendo, The SHow Must Go On, Headlong, Friends Will Be Friends, Radio Ga-Ga, Princess Of The Universe, One Vision, A Kind Of Magic, Stone Cold Crazy!!!

There are very few bands that had more major hits than fuckin' Queen!!! They are amongst the very best bands EVER without any doubts and Freddie was a truly hypnothic and fantastic frontman! Should I praise Brian May's characteristic guitar sound???;)
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • I love this song! One of the greatest ever written, for sure. And i just learned recently that it was the number 1 song in england the week i was born. bohemian rhapsody and under pressure are 2 of my all time favorite songs...
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I love this song! One of the greatest ever written, for sure. And i just learned recently that it was the number 1 song in england the week i was born. bohemian rhapsody and under pressure are 2 of my all time favorite songs...
    Under Pressure is a masterpiece!
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    tonadax wrote:

yeah, but I will never be able to hear Boheniam Rhapsody without thinking of Wayne's World, right?

I was in high school when Bohemian Rhapsody came out (I guess Stairway to Heaven as well) and the song was one of those songs you sing along with meaning as you sing. The part he is talking to his Mom was always so deep. I am not sure if that is the effect it would have now, but then it was.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • I recall being three when the song was first released. It was the soundtrack to Christmas 1975, in my memory, and I remember it being on Top of the Pops. That's when Christmas was Christmas.
  • tonadax wrote:

Would you put Bohemian Rhapsody next to Stairway to Heaven in terms of greatness?

No, I'd put it miles ahead of Stairway, which bores me until my piss comes out in lumps.
    Zuh?

Have you never heard Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Bicycle Race, Flash, We are the Champions, We Will Rock You, I Want to Break Free, I Want it All, The Show must Go On, Another one Bites the dust, Under Pressure, Fat Bottomed Girls, Killer Queen and so forth?
    I could go on for a long long time. Queen were an amazing band.

I think that you have to think of the time that the songs were written and given that, it really got itself out of the box so to speak and gave Queen some notoriety that they may not have had prior to the songs mentioned. Just like when you see The Rocky Horror Picture Show, it may not be much compared to these days and what is out there----(hell PG13 is sometimes too much for me----even in cartoon form----but back to the point), but think about it's original timeframe and it's pretty out there---with the whole transvestite thing, you know?

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    fada wrote:

Check out anything from Queen II through The Game. Compared to a lot of other 70's stuff, they were incredible and managed to work prog, rock, pop, metal, classical, operatic and folk music into a beautiful conglomerate.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    sometimes i wish that i didn't buy my girlfriend a queen piano book. anytime i'm at her place, she's playing bohemian rhapsody. i even bought her a gnr book to try and get some variety, but 4/5s of the time it's still rhapsody.

beside stairway in the rankings? i dunno, it is up there, but i don't know if it's quite that high.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    if i never hear that song again it won't bother me in the slightest.
    just not my thing i guess.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032

I never really warmed to Queen. I have their greatest hits but I won't say that I like alot of it. I'll grant you there were a great live band
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't mean to come in and just make negative comments about Queen in this thread when I could just keep it to myself but I really would like some feedback on this. I just can't understand why anyone likes Queen :o Hands down the most annoying "respected" band I can think of. Is it really so genius that they had multi-layered harmonised vocals? No. They had been around in classical choral music for centuries. Is it the case that they were ridiculously pompous and overblown? Yes, without a doubt. What then is the attraction? I know people will say the music is catchy or something and that Mercury was an amazing vocalist or whatever but I just can't take the band seriously and when I want music that isn't serious, I'd go somewhere else for something far less annoying :o
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't mean to come in and just make negative comments about Queen in this thread when I could just keep it to myself but I really would like some feedback on this. I just can't understand why anyone likes Queen :o Hands down the most annoying "respected" band I can think of. Is it really so genius that they had multi-layered harmonised vocals? No. They had been around in classical choral music for centuries. Is it the case that they were ridiculously pompous and overblown? Yes, without a doubt. What then is the attraction? I know people will say the music is catchy or something and that Mercury was an amazing vocalist or whatever but I just can't take the band seriously and when I want music that isn't serious, I'd go somewhere else for something far less annoying :o

hey, speaking for myself, here, I don't go out of my way to listen to Queen, yes, there are many other very talented musicians who put out some very good songs that I prefer to listen to, but just answering your question is what I wanted to do, which I think, with all due respect is what you only wanted to do, right?

• FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Mr. Mercury has my vote for the best SINGER and FRONTMAN of all time..........
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    Mr. Mercury has my vote for the best SINGER and FRONTMAN of all time..........

yeah, there is a lot to be said for originality, truthfully so I agree with you there. are you familar with T.Rex?

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I loved this song! Then came a long FUCKING Waynes World and ruined it!

P.S. All Queen songs rule!
    Watch Austin Powers come out and sing every Queen song known to man and the band will be ruined for me!

FUCK YOU POP CULTURE!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Danimal wrote:
    I loved this song! Then came a long FUCKING Waynes World and ruined it!

yeah, shwing!!!!

• FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    writersu wrote:
    yeah, there is a lot to be said for originality, truthfully so I agree with you there. are you familar with T.Rex?
    very minutely. Other than knowing Bolan's name and "Get it On", couldn't tell you another song. I did own Electric Warrior at one time......