PJ/ Friends

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited March 2007 in Other Music
i´m getting tired of people ´´including friends´´ talking me about some negative pj questions like, are they still playing around, what they had done after do the evolution and finally, all the songs they know or had heared of PJ are alive, jeremy, even flow and do the evlotution, that´s it...

have you ever lived this freak experience with your friends, co workers...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Unfortunately yes...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I heard someone make the comment recently that if "Kurt Cobain was still alive he'd just be another where-are-they-now grunge rocker like Candlebox and Pearl Jam." I was like, wtf!!??

It seems that most people who question the existence of Pearl Jam are people who are generally not well versed in music as a whole. I mean, PJ might not get the media attention of bands like My Chemical Romance or whoever, but they still sell out tours and got some pretty decent print copy with the last cd. It's not like they're totally hidden under a rock. Go figure.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    None of my friends know Pearl Jam
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    jammerfall wrote:
    I heard someone make the comment recently that if "Kurt Cobain was still alive he'd just be another where-are-they-now grunge rocker like Candlebox and Pearl Jam." I was like, wtf!!??

It seems that most people who question the existence of Pearl Jam are people who are generally not well versed in music as a whole. I mean, PJ might not get the media attention of bands like My Chemical Romance or whoever, but they still sell out tours and got some pretty decent print copy with the last cd. It's not like they're totally hidden under a rock. Go figure.

pearl jam's new songs no longer make it on the radio after the obligatory 1 month playing period -- they are archived after that. I know, I talked to a pearl jam lovin' dj once. The standards like Alive and Jeremy are what are requested.

i think pearl jam does so well in concert b/c their fans follow them, are willing to travel and see 5-30 shows per tour :) They certainly are not played 3x per hour on mtv or vh-1, are they?

and they did not sell out in pittsburgh in 2006 (the best concert i've been to in my life) or in hawaii (i did not go to hawaii but i saw empty seats in pics)

but i really think it is pj's dedicated fans that keep them going. they are not popular, you are right My Chemical Romance is popular today. They might not be in 5 years if their fans move on to the next hot band according to MTV.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    i think pearl jam does so well in concert b/c their fans follow them, are willing to travel and see 5-30 shows per tour :) They certainly are not played 3x per hour on mtv or vh-1, are they?

and they did not sell out in pittsburgh in 2006 (the best concert i've been to in my life) or in hawaii (i did not go to hawaii but i saw empty seats in pics)

I guess what I should have said is that the band still maintains a really strong concert attendance, regardless if it's fans going to multiple shows or not. I didn't mean sell out every seat at every show literally. My bad.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    jammerfall wrote:
    I guess what I should have said is that the band still maintains a really strong concert attendance, regardless if it's fans going to multiple shows or not. I didn't mean sell out every seat at every show literally. My bad.

i probably just don't know the meaning of sell out!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    i probably just don't know the meaning of sell out!

Hey, at least we never have to worry about PJ "selling out" in the worst definition of the words, if you get my drift. ;)
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    None of my friends know of Pearl Jam. Or Alice In Chains. Or Stone Temple Pilots. Or Soundgarden. Or know that Chris Cornell fronted anything, they just know of the James Bond theme.
  • A lot of people think I'm nuts. They're ask, "Pearl Jam? Didn't they stop making music? Why are you following them on tour? Are they that good?"

The answer is yes. They are that good. Mind-blowing, in fact.
  • RaybeesRaybees Posts: 40
    The absence of music videos for many years has a lot to do with it. A lot of people's only association with the band is the Alive, Jeremy, etc videos. That was a long time ago.

I've turned a few people onto Pearl Jam who previously didn't care for the Ten-era stuff.
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • jammerfall wrote:
    I heard someone make the comment recently that if "Kurt Cobain was still alive he'd just be another where-are-they-now grunge rocker like Candlebox and Pearl Jam." I was like, wtf!!??

That's true. Anyone with real taste in music (that is, not your top 40 lemmings) know Pearl Jam is still around and highly regarded - even if they don't like them.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    It also works the other way round though. I was at a party with a friend of mine recently when we talked with a girl who went to a George Michael gig in Germany with my friend. They told the rest of us how great the show was when my friend suddenly blurt out 'you Pearl Jam fans have it so easy, I can't find any bootlegs'. When the other guys in the group were confused, I explained and they all freaked out and decided they had to check out PJ again just for being so cool with bootlegs.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    It also works the other way round though. I was at a party with a friend of mine recently when we talked with a girl who went to a George Michael gig in Germany with my friend. They told the rest of us how great the show was when my friend suddenly blurt out 'you Pearl Jam fans have it so easy, I can't find any bootlegs'. When the other guys in the group were confused, I explained and they all freaked out and decided they had to check out PJ again just for being so cool with bootlegs.
    Open minds are able to be exposed to great things, I've had the same thing happen. Actually, a friend of mine in my electronic music class came to class one day (after hearing me rant and having seen a few of my pearl jam shirts) and shouted "Anyone know what band has the record for most album releases?"

I said.. "the beatles..."

And he responds,.. "NOPE! PEARL JAM! FREAKING BOOTLEGS!"

But to be fair, all the people who I've gotten into Pearl Jam have good taste in music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    my friend came up to me on monday and said that she saw on a music channel a pearl jam song and a soundgarden song. i asked what they were and she goes " i don't know, some performance video or something." NO respect!!!
  • emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    my one friend simply hates them because i love them.
    don't worry, i don't really understand either.

but oh well, some people just aren't good enough for pearl jam :p
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Open minds are able to be exposed to great things, I've had the same thing happen. Actually, a friend of mine in my electronic music class came to class one day (after hearing me rant and having seen a few of my pearl jam shirts) and shouted "Anyone know what band has the record for most album releases?"

I said.. "the beatles..."

And he responds,.. "NOPE! PEARL JAM! FREAKING BOOTLEGS!"

But to be fair, all the people who I've gotten into Pearl Jam have good taste in music.

:D
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson