led zeppelin rippoffs...

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited March 2007 in Other Music
i just watched this thread on other forum and i get a bit surprised of this, suposdly led zep rippoffs some lyrycs/music of those artists, i think stern talked about it few days ago in his radio show...

* "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
* "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
* "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
* "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
* "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
* "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
* "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
* "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
* "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
* "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
* "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
* "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
* "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
* "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
* "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
* "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

http://www.warr.org/zep.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Whole Lotta Love is also almost identical musically to a Small Faces song which was released a good few years before it.
    I'll update this with the title after a chat with my mam later.

Ok checked Wiki, it's You Need Love which the Small Faces used to perform.;)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i´m already cheking some lyrics, and a willie dixon had sued led zep many times...

Arc Music had sued Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It on Home" on Led Zeppelin II, saying that it was Dixon's song, and won a settlement that Dixon never saw any part of until his manager did an audit of Arc's accounts. Dixon and Muddy Waters would later file suit against Arc Music to recover royalties and the ownership of their copyrights. Additionally, many years later Dixon brought suit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Whole Lotta Love" and its resemblance to Dixon's "You Need Love." Both cases resulted in out-of-court settlements that were generous to the songwriter.

http://www.completealbumlyrics.com/information/Willie+Dixon/
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Im sure the rolling stones were ripping riffs too, what are you trying to say : artist or thief ?
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    let´s see another rippoff example, the moby grape song ´never´ and ´since i´ve been loving you´ by led zepp...

Never
    (R. Mosley)

Working from eleven
    To seven every night
    Ought to make life a drag
    Now I know that ain't right.
    Thinking 'bout those bad times
    I wish you really knew,
    How happy I would be
    If I were living love with you

I've gone a long time
    At best, I'm glad of that
    I've been to see the best of fools
    And I thought I had it pat
    Know I love you, baby
    I don't need no one else
    Come love me, baby
    Hear my crying

Can't you hear me?
    Come on back, baby.
    Bring your love on home
    I'm needing you bad
    And knowing I'm sad
    Bring your love
    Bring it on home
    Cause I love you
    Yeah, I love you

I need you, baby
    Oh, can't you hear me, baby
    I'm cryin'
    I'm so all alone
    I ain't got nobody here

It's so far
    And so deep...

Since I've Been Loving You
    (Jones/Page/Plant)

Working from seven to eleven every night,
    It really makes life a drag, I don't think that's right.
    I've really, really been the best of fools, I did what I could.
    'Cause I love you, baby, How I love you, darling, How I love you, baby,
    How I love you, girl, little girl.
    But baby, Since I've Been Loving You. I'm about to lose my worried mind, oh, yeah.

Everybody trying to tell me that you didn't mean me no good.
    I've been trying, Lord, let me tell you, Let me tell you I really did the best I could.
    I've been working from seven to eleven every night, I said It kinda makes my life a drag.
    Lord, that ain't right...
    Since I've Been Loving You, I'm about to lose my worried mind.

Said I've been crying, my tears they fell like rain,
    Don't you hear, Don't you hear them falling,
    Don't you hear, Don't you hear them falling.

Do you remember mama, when I knocked upon your door?
    I said you had the nerve to tell me you didn't want me no more, yeah
    I open my front door, hear my back door slam,
    You must have one of them new fangled back door man.

I've been working from seven, seven, seven, to eleven every night, It kinda makes my life a drag...
    Baby, Since I've Been Loving You, I'm about to lose, I'm about lose to my worried mind.

what are your thoughts people...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    tonadax wrote:
    let´s see another rippoff example, the moby grape song ´never´ and ´since i´ve been loving you´ by led zepp...

Never
    (R. Mosley)

Working from eleven
    To seven every night
    Ought to make life a drag
    Now I know that ain't right.
    Thinking 'bout those bad times
    I wish you really knew,
    How happy I would be
    If I were living love with you

I've gone a long time
    At best, I'm glad of that
    I've been to see the best of fools
    And I thought I had it pat
    Know I love you, baby
    I don't need no one else
    Come love me, baby
    Hear my crying

Can't you hear me?
    Come on back, baby.
    Bring your love on home
    I'm needing you bad
    And knowing I'm sad
    Bring your love
    Bring it on home
    Cause I love you
    Yeah, I love you

I need you, baby
    Oh, can't you hear me, baby
    I'm cryin'
    I'm so all alone
    I ain't got nobody here

It's so far
    And so deep...

Since I've Been Loving You
    (Jones/Page/Plant)

Working from seven to eleven every night,
    It really makes life a drag, I don't think that's right.
    I've really, really been the best of fools, I did what I could.
    'Cause I love you, baby, How I love you, darling, How I love you, baby,
    How I love you, girl, little girl.
    But baby, Since I've Been Loving You. I'm about to lose my worried mind, oh, yeah.

Everybody trying to tell me that you didn't mean me no good.
    I've been trying, Lord, let me tell you, Let me tell you I really did the best I could.
    I've been working from seven to eleven every night, I said It kinda makes my life a drag.
    Lord, that ain't right...
    Since I've Been Loving You, I'm about to lose my worried mind.

Said I've been crying, my tears they fell like rain,
    Don't you hear, Don't you hear them falling,
    Don't you hear, Don't you hear them falling.

Do you remember mama, when I knocked upon your door?
    I said you had the nerve to tell me you didn't want me no more, yeah
    I open my front door, hear my back door slam,
    You must have one of them new fangled back door man.

I've been working from seven, seven, seven, to eleven every night, It kinda makes my life a drag...
    Baby, Since I've Been Loving You, I'm about to lose, I'm about lose to my worried mind.

what are your thoughts people...

I think Bobbi Plant must have really bust his arse on those 4 hour shifts my heart bleeds for him.:D:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    thanks guys. i've just made a bonfire out of all my zeppelin albums. :( now i'm on the lurk for the originals.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    since when is any rock and roller that original? artists borrow from each other wait till you see pearl jam on such a list. They arnt realyy neccesarily creating something entirely novel every time, and zep is more like covering these artists sometimes, like interspersing she moved through the fair in white summer and reworking black mountain side.

stairway is an old celtic song, but im glad musiicians are reworking it
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    thanks guys. i've just made a bonfire out of all my zeppelin albums. :( now i'm on the lurk for the originals.
    Fuck that and fuck this shit.

I am so tired of this tired ass subject. Led Zeppeilin was heavily influenced by many artist before them. Name one band who isn't. They took blues songs and made spectacular, unforgettable, timeless, classic rock and roll. Led Zeppelin's legend will live on forever. Fuck anyone who implies otherwise.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    hey guys, yea i heard stern talking about this and playing clips of the originals....perhaps someone with better knowledge of finding these tunes could perhaps put them in a yousendit file or something of all the originals?

That would be amazing

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Zeppelin's biggest rip-offs weren't musical but lyrical. I believe Robert Plant learned his lesson by the fourth album.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I think the main difference is that they did not give the previous artists songwriting credits
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    ii44 wrote:
    I think the main difference is that they did not give the previous artists songwriting credits

Exactly. I heard Stern talking about it Dazed and Confused and didn't think the song that they were influenced by was that similiar musically sounding but the lyrics obviously were close. I thought Stern and his gang were full of shit until they played the Spirit song. It is exactly like the beginning of Stairway to Heaven.

It is fine if Jimmy Page wanted to take these old songs and breathe new life in them, but he does need to credit the source and pay them accordingly.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    surferdude wrote:
    Zeppelin's biggest rip-offs weren't musical but lyrical. I believe Robert Plant learned his lesson by the fourth album.

exactly. and once they realized their mistakes, any lyrics that were used from past songs from there on out (When The Levee Breaks, Boogie with Stu) were credited as such.

as far as the Spirit/Stairway to Heaven stuff. I've read that Randy California (member of Taurus) has said that Jimmy Page had taken an interest in his work years eariler ('68 or so) and that he considers the Stairway intro to not be a rip-off, but a reworking of his song. he also said that he was proud that Jimmy Page would incorporate any portion of his work into such a great song.

here's the Taurus song, and yes there is obvious influence here. but it's not a rip-off: http://www.mediamax.com/aikin/Hosted/Live%20From%20The%20Time%20Coast_Spirit_7_Taurus.mp3
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I don't think Plant wrote an original lyric until IV. I also don't care. All the 60's bands ripped off blues artists. Page's riffs are usually at the most loosely based on the originals (the Spirit and Bert Jansch tunes being exceptions), and take them to quite a different place than they started. Page's guitar brought a new power and urgency to the material that makes it a totally different beast in my eyes.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I don't think Plant wrote an original lyric until IV. I also don't care. All the 60's bands ripped off blues artists. Page's riffs are usually at the most loosely based on the originals (the Spirit and Bert Jansch tunes being exceptions), and take them to quite a different place than they started. Page's guitar brought a new power and urgency to the material that makes it a totally different beast in my eyes.

It's true that Page takes the riffs to another place but you still have to credit where you got the idea. Page did bring a whole new power and urgency to it and there is a reason that Led Zeppelin stands as the benchmark for all hard rock, as you say. Just give credit to those who influenced you.
    I wasn't trying to suggest the original artists don't deserve credit. I just meant that it does not affect my enjoyment of Zeppelin's music one little bit.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I wasn't trying to suggest the original artists don't deserve credit. I just meant that it does not affect my enjoyment of Zeppelin's music one little bit.

Same here. Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    i think people just read into this stuff too deeply. Zep was influenced by blues and other artist around the jazz period and used variations of their riffs for ZEP songs. I agree tho sources should have been credited
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • To the dwellers who live in that big glass house on the hill....

Given To Fly.

Going To California.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
    rrivers wrote:
    Same here. Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying.

No offense taken. I probably could have made it more clear in my post.

While I agree that songwriting credits should have been given, in Zep's defense, I think they've always been pretty open about the debt they owed to many blues and folk artists in interviews. Reading interviews with Zeppelin and Hendrix was largely what got me to start listening to old blues records in the first place. I credit them with my love of Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and many, many others.