Options

In 10 Years, Will Pearl Jam Be Considered "Classic Rock"?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I am already hearing Pearl Jam, STP, and Nirvana on classic rock radio stations around here, I think anything from the early 90's is soon to be classic rock, what do you think....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they already are.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tonadax wrote:
    I am already hearing Pearl Jam, STP, and Nirvana on classic rock radio stations around here, I think anything from the early 90's is soon to be classic rock, what do you think....

why are you listening to classic rock stations? :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    why are you listening to classic rock stations? :D

There is nothing wrong with a bit of classic rock :o
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    There is nothing wrong with a bit of classic rock :o

i never said there was. i asked what he/she was doing listening to classic rock stations. i cant stand commercial radio and it's because of the commercials. too much talk not enough music IMO :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    i never said there was. i asked what he/she was doing listening to classic rock stations. i cant stand commercial radio and it's because of the commercials. too much talk not enough music IMO :D

Ah ok you are forgiven :p
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i would already consider them classic rock but then again i also hear bands like creed, nickelsack, and other new age shit rock bands on those stations
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    tonadax wrote:

yeah PJ gets played on my local classic rock station but not too often and the only songs that ever get played are songs from Ten, Daughter, and Betterman. I doubt that PJ will ever hit the Led Zeppelin level of classic rock radio and have they're entire catalouge pretty much in rotation
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    They are already being played on some classic rock stations in Texas, but it's because music formats have changed: so Led Zep, pj, stp, the beatles are all grouped as the actual rock music bands, and the new muisc alternative stations, play the emo bands that you see on mtv, and other bands that I don't really care for. This is not to say that new rock alternative station don't play pj/ stp AIC ect from time to time, it just doesn;t seem to be their primary focus as much.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    I don't think PJ will become "classic rock", thats an already established genre. What will happen, in my view, is that '90's rock and grunge will become the populous, filling the gap of where "classic rock" used to be.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    MLB5150 wrote:
    I don't think PJ will become "classic rock", thats an already established genre. What will happen, in my view, is that '90's rock and grunge will become the populous, filling the gap of where "classic rock" used to be.
    Yeah that has kind of happened now there are quite a few 90's and new rock stations around the country.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    104.3 Great Rock
    92.3 mindless blabing

In NYC we only have one choice for rock music, becaue all they do on KRock is talk in circles (Free FM 92.3) .
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    MLB5150 wrote:
    yeah that's probably correct. Though bands like Zeppelin will never disappear. As we've already seen the seattle scene is gonna get simultaneous airplay with the classic rock bands.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    MLB5150 wrote:

i think they already are considered classic rock and i have to disagree that classic rock is already an established genre. you have all the music that you consider to be classic rock but thats not saying that some of the more modern rock of today won't also be considered classic rock down the road. classic rock is just what the name says....."classic" rock music.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    i think they already are considered classic rock and i have to disagree that classic rock is already an established genre. you have all the music that you consider to be classic rock but thats not saying that some of the more modern rock of today won't also be considered classic rock down the road. classic rock is just what the name says....."classic" rock music.
    I agree completely. Guns 'n' Roses are the "newest" band to be getting play on the local classic rock station here, it is only a matter of time until Pearl Jam starts getting played on traditional classic rock stations. I think they will be the first of the 90s bands to start getting played, their sound is so rooted in the classic rock staples, it only makes sense.

I don't think they will ever experience Led Zeppelin play on classic stations, but they have a ton of hits and a ton of great non-singles. They will probably be the most played band of their era 20 years from now. Some bands will probably never get classic rock play(Green Day comes to mind), but Pearl Jam's sound is well suited for those stations and they will probably become the staples of 90s rock music in terms of classic rock radio play.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I heard Pearl Jam and Nirvana being played on Classic Rock 92 in Greensboro over a year ago.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    yeah PJ gets played on my local classic rock station but not too often and the only songs that ever get played are songs from Ten, Daughter, and Betterman. I doubt that PJ will ever hit the Led Zeppelin level of classic rock radio and have they're entire catalouge pretty much in rotation

Um...at least the stations I've heard...the only Zeppelin songs they play are Stairway to Heaven, Rock n' Roll, Kashmir, and Communication Breakdown.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I heard Soundgarden's Burden In My Hand on a classic rock station the other night. That was pretty cool.:D

Usually it's just Black Hole Sun, and then for Pearl Jam it's always Alive.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    yes
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    edited November 2018
    I would think so.  And possibly among the last groups of what will be considered "classic rock".  Who else in the last 20 years will make that list?  I would hope Dinosaur Jr.  Nirvana, and Soundgarden, of course.  Perhaps Radiohead.  Who else?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    Unless they start shuffling Indie Rock into the Classic rock genre, I'd say the 90's stuff will sort of be the capstone of the Classic rock station. Rock pretty much died in mid aughts. Indie stuff would definitely stick out on Classic Rock stations. 
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    My local classic rock station just started playing Sugar Ray.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    My local classic rock station just started playing Sugar Ray.
    Basically everything played in the 90's is considered "Classic" now...

Bad Religion, Tool, Green Day, Hole, Belly, Everclear.  All of em now...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    In the 90s, classic rock stations played music from the 60s & 70s.  It's only fitting in the 2010s - soon to be 2020s - that classic rock stations play music from the 80s & 90s.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    And I just realized most of this thread is from 2007.  So to answer the thread title: yes. :lol:
  • Options
    And I just realized most of this thread is from 2007.  So to answer the thread title: yes. :lol:
    Crazy, right?

There was a song by Bowling for Soup I think?  Anywho the song was called 1985 and there was a line that said "When did Motley Crue become classic rock?!?"

I always knew it was inevitable.  I just wish radio stations had a pulse and would play things other than Alive and Smells Like Teen Spirit.  I swear these bands have other songs.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited December 2018
    Yes. Our local classic rock station already added the 90s to its scope at least a few years ago.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Crazy, right?

There was a song by Bowling for Soup I think?  Anywho the song was called 1985 and there was a line that said "When did Motley Crue become classic rock?!?"

I always knew it was inevitable.  I just wish radio stations had a pulse and would play things other than Alive and Smells Like Teen Spirit.  I swear these bands have other songs.

Oh yeah, it's so frustrating how stations limit the songs from bands with huge catalogues.  I did hear "Better Man" in a Goodwill store about a year ago.  That was cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Of course. In 25 years they will be the next Rolling Stones (¨ I have to check these guys before they pass away¨ kind of thing) . I´m sure about it.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.