The Stones, The Beatles and The Who in concert - who would open, who would close?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Imagine that these three great bands held a huge open air concert, say circa 1968. In your opinion, who would open, who would close and who would bridge the gap?

Can you imagine the Beatles following the Who? With Pete's windmilling and guitar smashing and Keith Moon the madman on drums? Ringo pretty much just sat there and grinned...

This is just a imaginary scenario of course. What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    The Stones as the opener (that way I can be late :) )
    The Beatles in the middle slot
    The Who to close and blow the roof off.
    NERDS!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Assuming Kieth Moon and John Entwhistle are alive.

3. The Stones
    2. The Who
    1. The Beatles
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    opening - The Who
    Middle - The STones
    Last - THE BEATLES

ideally it'd be

open - The Stones
    Middle - Led Zeppelin
    Last - THE BEATLES
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the beatles open with their 30 minute live act.......that's how long it was

the stones are in the the rocking chair

the who close and destroy the stage.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    open- the who or the stones or pink floyd
    mid- ZEPPELIN
    headline- beatles

its a no brainer
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Really, the Beatles should close as they're the greatest, with the Stones taking the middle and the Who opening.

In terms of a good performance and what I'd want,

Opener - The Beatles (more mellow, get the crowd going)
    Middle - The Stones
    Closer - The Who (blow the roof off...literally)
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,699
    brain of c wrote:
    the beatles open with their 30 minute live act.......that's how long it was

the stones are in the the rocking chair

the who close and destroy the stage.
    Pretty much.

Obviously in the overall scheme of things the Beatles are the bigger band and would be incorrectly handed the headlining role, but they were never particularly dynamic in concert. The Who on the other hand was the standard bearer for live rock for the better part of 2 decades.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Poncier wrote:
    Obviously in the overall scheme of things the Beatles are the bigger band and would be incorrectly handed the headlining role, but they were never particularly dynamic in concert. The Who on the other hand was the standard bearer for live rock for the better part of 2 decades.

Yeah, but, to be fair, The Beatles stopped touring well before their time. I'm not saying their live show would be better, but out of sheer respect, they should close.

It would've been interesting to see how their live show evolved over the years had they continued on.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    drew0 wrote:
    In terms of a good performance and what I'd want,

Opener - The Beatles (more mellow, get the crowd going)
    Middle - The Stones
    Closer - The Who (blow the roof off...literally)

My thoughts exactly.