One of the most underrated rock bands...

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Would have to be Deep Purple, Next to Zeppelin and Sabbath, Deep Purple are underrated

Compared to the beatles and the stones, I would say that the who are very underrated at least with their older stuff

and of course, the pixies...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Love Deep Purple. Are they under-rated? Held up alongside Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath as forerunners in the creation of heavy metal.
    Plus, arguably the most famous guitar riff in rock history in 'Smoke On The Water'.

Legends in my opinion.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Machinehead is top ten albums of all time in my book. Heavily underrated.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I've gotta agree. I actually just got around to finally buying Machine Head a few months ago and it rocks. Which albums besides Machine Head feature the Gillian/Blackmore/Glover lineup?
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    The Kinks are the most underrated band in the history of the world.
    32 shows and counting...
  • I don't think any of these band's are underrated. Especially Sabbath, the Kinks and I even remember Machinehead were very big in the 90's. Led Zeppelin are certainly not underrated! How could these bands get any bigger without becoming like Bon Jovi. - I LOVE the Kinks!
  • donravendonraven Posts: 139
    Sloan
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • donraven wrote:
    Sloan

who?
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Deep Purple is a great band indeed. Underrated? Not really. Everybody knows the main riff to Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" -- it's even on commercials for the Dodge Avenger! King Crimson, Procol Harem, General Giant, Atomic Rooster and Raven are some of the more underrated bands from the "classic" era of rock. Hardly anyone ever talks about them -- except Tool fans who appreciate KC. Even the Yardbirds and Cream don't seem to be mentioned as much as the likes of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Pink Floyd.
    who?

This generation's version of The Beatles.
  • Odin wrote:
    This generation's version of The Beatles.

Oh. Sorry.

In what way?
    Oh. Sorry.

In what way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sz5dkW0Dg4

One of this generations best bands, they have sooooooo many good songs, its impossible really to give a proper introduction song to them.
    Theyve been around since the early 90s doing the retro style stuff before it became cool, kind of changing their style in recent years. Every CD theyve put out is quality
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • donraven wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sz5dkW0Dg4

One of this generations best bands, they have sooooooo many good songs, its impossible really to give a proper introduction song to them.
    Theyve been around since the early 90s doing the retro style stuff before it became cool, kind of changing their style in recent years. Every CD theyve put out is quality

I like it! I wouldn't compare them to The Beatles though, from what I have seen. (Not much admittedly). Are they American or English?
    Oh. Sorry.

In what way?

Their pop-rock style, their melodies, and the fact that all members in the band are songwriters. They are very versatile and put on a great live show, with members of the band even switching instruments for a few songs.
    I like it! I wouldn't compare them to The Beatles though, from what I have seen. (Not much admittedly). Are they American or English?

Canadian, from my town of Halifax :-)

I think the video is supposed to mock the British band documentaries
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016

They're from Canada.
  • fair enough. I have £100 in gift vouchers for HMV for my birthday but I didn't know what to spend it on. Now I know one CD I can buy.
  • donraven wrote:
    Canadian, from my town of Halifax :-)

I think the video is supposed to mock the British band documentaries

I knew that would come back and bite me in the ass. As I wrote it, I thought 'I'll bet they're not from either country'.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    tonadax wrote:
    Would have to be Deep Purple, Next to Zeppelin and Sabbath, Deep Purple are underrated

Compared to the beatles and the stones, I would say that the who are very underrated at least with their older stuff

I LOVE Deep Purple and i can't stress that enough.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    sorry
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    joy division, most people don´t know who they are

the kinks

mudhoney

alice in chains, was the most underrated band of the 90's

soudgarden, the 2nd most underrated band of the 90's, these guys were HEAVY beyond belief

Spirit, not only are they underrated, at this point and time, I don't think they are rated at all. They never hit it off with the public, but I think there may of been a few musicians at the time who were influenced by them

Genesis before Phil Collins is pretty underrated. They sounded great with Gabriel at the helm. The album Trespass is fantastic. Sadly, Phil Collins ruined them.
  • tonadax wrote:

What Spirit or the Jerry Garcia Band?