Top 3 Greatest Hits Albums

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2007 in Other Music
What greatest hits gives you pretty much everything you need

The Who- The Ultimate Collection ´The song selection is superb, without a single weak track´

Bob Marley - Legend ´Timeless CD´

Pj- rearviewmirror
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    tonadax wrote:

The Who- The Ultimate Collection ´The song selection is superb, without a single weak track´

Pj- rearviewmirror

Umm, the Ultimate Collection has some real crap songs on it like Call Me Lightning and A Legal Matter. The didn't use enough Quadrophenia on it, but of the dozens of Who GH albums out there, that's robably the one.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    the Beatles blue album is pretty top notch.

that "Early Days" Zep compilation where they're wearing astronaut suits on the cover is the perfect disc to introduce someone to hard rock

Alice in Chains - Best of the Box: not that it's the best greatest hits package ever, but it holds a special place in my heart because I STOLE IT from Walmart like a dirtbag when I was 19! haha. fuck 'em. good compilation too. Oddly, Heaven Beside You isn't included
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I bought the Essential Alice in Chains CD recently. I've never really heard their stuff before and figured I'd give it a shot because I've been getting into Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and the whole Seattle scene. It was pretty bad!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Rearviewmirror
    Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer
    The Cars - Complete Greatest Hits

Not sure if these are greatest but I love the upside and downside idea and the other two are just very complete collections in my opinion, there are alot of other solid collections out there though.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    muppet wrote:
    I bought the Essential Alice in Chains CD recently. I've never really heard their stuff before and figured I'd give it a shot because I've been getting into Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and the whole Seattle scene. It was pretty bad!

that's a great aic compiulation... the only gripe is how in the hell do you make such a comprehensive aic comp and leave down in a hole off? that's nuts!

i also prefer 'remasters' for led zeppelin. i think it's an import here... but it's very similar to the early/lattter days comps only with better song selection.

not including rvm (which is a great comp for sure), id say:
    1. ccr- chronicle... has all their biggest songs)
    2. neil young- greatest hits... sure it's missing a lot of songs, but it plays so well
    3. tragically hip- yer favorites... very comprehensive and doesn't try to rewrite history like so many comps try to do
  • dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730
    tonadax wrote:

Pj- rearviewmirror
    whats the pretenders one called,superfantastic,also the big country one is great
  • RaybeesRaybees Posts: 40
    Tom Petty - Anthology, Through the Years
    Talking Heads - Best of, Once in a Lifetime
    Ramones - Anthology, Hey Ho Lets Go
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • Decade-Neil Young
    Red/Blue albums-Beatles
    Forty Licks-Rolling Stones
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    whitesnake's greatest hits.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • chittychitty Posts: 609
    Alice in Chains-GH
    PJ-Rearviewmirror
    Counting Crows-Ghosts.....
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Pearl Jam - "Rearviewmirror"
    The Smashing Pumpkins - "Rotten Apples"
    Alice in Chains - "The Essential Alice in Chains"
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Smashing Pumpkins - "Rotten Apples"
    Alice in Chains - "The Essential Alice in Chains"

Pumpkins doesnt even have thirty-three.............that alone ruined it from making my list
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Pumpkins doesnt even have thirty-three.............that alone ruined it from making my list

Every greatest hits album has missed at least something...PJ didn't have Tremor Christ
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    marley - Legend
    ccr - Chronicle
    beatles - 1
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Bob Marley's Legend is really the perfect hits package. non-stop great music and it all flows together pefectly.

CCR - Chronicles 1. Chronicles 2 is good to have, but every song on Chronicles 1 packs a punch.

Boston - Boston. They also had "Don't Look Back", but who cares? All of their most awesome feel-good jams are right there on their debut record.

I wouldn't include Pearl Jam's greatest hits, because in general their hits aren't my favs, and the band changed so much over the years, that the songs don't flow together well.
  • Kenny Olav wrote:
    Bob Marley's Legend is really the perfect hits package. non-stop great music and it all flows together pefectly.

CCR - Chronicles 1. Chronicles 2 is good to have, but every song on Chronicles 1 packs a punch.

Boston - Boston. They also had "Don't Look Back", but who cares? All of their most awesome feel-good jams are right there on their debut record.

I wouldn't include Pearl Jam's greatest hits, because in general their hits aren't my favs, and the band changed so much over the years, that the songs don't flow together well.
    Didn't you puke in Boston?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Pearl jam: rearview mirror
    The Who: the ultimate collection
    The essential Bob Dylan
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    1. ccr- chronicle... (has all their biggest songs)
    2. led zep - remasters
    3. deep purple - 30
    your light's reflected now
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Marley- Legend
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits
    CCR's chronicle
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Neil Young Greatest Hits - considering how huge the NY library is, it's a great set of songs for single CD

Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits - it could use Mr. Brownstone and maybe Estranged on there but it's a fantastic summary of the band's high points

Soundgarden A-Sides - a great representation of what the band was all about spanning the entire existence of SG, even Screaming Life/Fopp
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    2 Pac - "Greatest Hits"
    Ramones - "Ramones Mania"

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    Rush - Chronicles
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • muppet wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are now dead to me.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    "Greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls."

-Bruce McCulloch, Kids in the Hall
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits