Robert plant/ Ian gillan

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Why is it that Plant gets the nod by so many as being a wonderful and gifted singer? and Ian gillan doesn´t get any recognition?

To me Plant has a much more screechy voice than Ian gillan could ever try having. Led Zep got the nod from the mainstream crowd of rock, deep purple however was never mainstream and never will be. This is why ian doesn't get the popular vote? also, Plant tried to go outside his range and could never really pull it off. Don't get me wrong I love plant and Zep...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dirtdirt Posts: 398
    You are right -- One listen to Made in Japan pretty much confirms how great a rock vocalist Gillan was. The guy was awesome! Macine Head is perfect. Every band member plays their ass off on that record!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    why do you have to like one or the other? they are both great vocalists both as members of their respective bands and as solo artists.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Gillian's voice, while top notch, was a little too operatic (for lack of a better word) for my tastes. It probably had to do with his background in theater - i'm pretty sure he did Jesus Christ Superstar before joining Purple. I prefer my rock singers to be a littler rawer and bluesier, and that's why I prefer Plant to Gillian.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    hendrix78 wrote:
    It probably had to do with his background in theater - i'm pretty sure he did Jesus Christ Superstar before joining Purple.

gillan was actually in purple when he sang the lead role in the album version of jesus christ superstar but he never played the role on stage.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    gillian by far better,he has/had perfect pitch....listen.
    burton cummings does as well
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    tonadax wrote:
    Led Zep got the nod from the mainstream crowd of rock, deep purple however was never mainstream and never will be. ...

if you think led zep was mainstream you don't know your dick from your ear. they didn't even release singles my brother!!!!!! get your facts right.
    the only reason led zep have such a "mainstream" following is because thye bring down the fucking house. savvy?
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    glasshouse wrote:
    if you think led zep was mainstream you don't know your dick from your ear. they didn't even release singles my brother!!!!!! get your facts right.
    the only reason led zep have such a "mainstream" following is because thye bring down the fucking house. savvy?

Stop being pedantic! The end result was that they were 'mainstream' - doesn't matter how they got there!
    Stop being pedantic! The end result was that they were 'mainstream' - doesn't matter how they got there!

there's a major difference between having a "mainstream" following and being mainstream. go listen to led zep 1 right through to in through the out door. not mainstream. never. not once. savvy?

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    there's a major difference between having a "mainstream" following and being mainstream. go listen to led zep 1 right through to in through the out door. not mainstream. never. not once. savvy?

OK captain Jack! Not mainstream by todays standards but still essentially a mainstream act, in the same way that Pearl Jam is, despite the fact they are not media whores. I think your definition of 'mainstream' is skewed.
    OK captain Jack! Not mainstream by todays standards but still essentially a mainstream act, in the same way that Pearl Jam is, despite the fact they are not media whores. I think your definition of 'mainstream' is skewed.

good point sailor.but, pearl jam's music is much more mainstream than zep ever was. it's all about the music, not about what everybody likes. zep did just what they wanted, how they wanted - and the fact that they pulled it off so convincingly made them so popular. i stand by my statement: led zep has never been mainstream.

glasshouse wrote:
    good point sailor.but, pearl jam's music is much more mainstream than zep ever was. it's all about the music, not about what everybody likes. zep did just what they wanted, how they wanted - and the fact that they pulled it off so convincingly made them so popular. i stand by my statement: led zep has never been mainstream.

I bet in their day they were considered the epitome of mainstream, back then people didn't have a problem getting their head round 30 minutes jam sessions and quirky time signatures. Arcade Fire are another prime example of a less commercial sounding band, who still have a massive audience. My definition of mainstream is a vastly popular band. Pearl Jam have their commercial sounding moments, but they have plenty of less mainstream worthy material, like Vitalogy!
    Pearl Jam have their commercial sounding moments, but they have plenty of less mainstream worthy material, like Vitalogy!

right on brother! i'm not dissing the greatest band of all time! vitalogy is freakin hardcore