will Chris cornell be the next Rod stewart

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Free from Audioslavery, Chris Cornell was able to create his 2nd solo CD, and the results are definitely a letdown for me. He seems to be going for more of a diverse singer-songwriter approach, but the song material is weak. The cover version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" was mildly interesting but only as a curiosity,You Know My Name" is still an awesome, awesome song,

Cornell's excellent vocal talent is placed in service of some songs that could easily be sung by Rod Stewart or Bryan Adams, people like that...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    tonadax wrote:
    Free from Audioslavery, Chris Cornell was able to create his 2nd solo CD, and the results are definitely a letdown for me. He seems to be going for more of a diverse singer-songwriter approach, but the song material is weak. The cover version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" was mildly interesting but only as a curiosity,You Know My Name" is still an awesome, awesome song,

Cornell's excellent vocal talent is placed in service of some songs that could easily be sung by Rod Stewart or Bryan Adams, people like that...

He already is.
    NERDS!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i think he already is and ya know what i dont care at alll.the man has made his mark on music, what more does he have left to prove nothing really. hes just another washed up legend of music
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    i think he already is and ya know what i dont care at alll.the man has made his mark on music, what more does he have left to prove nothing really. hes just another washed up legend of music

Yeah and its too bad, cause I looked up to him so much as...CORNELL. Now I feel like I never grew "with him". I still think he's something else, just not what I wanted I guess. I dont know, blasting 4th of July right now and seems like there is something missing these days. Just miss the Power Rock in him.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i definitely would not compare to rod stewart. lets not get carried away. sure his older stuff rocked harder, but guys he's just in a better place in his life now and writing more fullfilling songs. i really like the new album. its not soundgarden, but its still good. and it is NOT rod stewart.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Going off the topic a bit. I've just bought tickets to his Birmingham gig in September, and was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of set list he's been playing recently?
    I know in the first few shows of the tour (before the album came out), he was playing stuff like Outshined, Loud Love, Hunger Strike, Like A Stone etc.
    Just wondered if this was still the case. If so, I'll be a happy man!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    pirlo21 wrote:
    Going off the topic a bit. I've just bought tickets to his Birmingham gig in September, and was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of set list he's been playing recently?
    I know in the first few shows of the tour (before the album came out), he was playing stuff like Outshined, Loud Love, Hunger Strike, Like A Stone etc.
    Just wondered if this was still the case. If so, I'll be a happy man!

It still seems to be the same type of lists from what I've seen lately. The only complaint I've heard is his band sucks. That's what he gets trying to replace thayil, cameron, and shephard with a bunch of average studio musicians.
    NERDS!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Rod Stewart sounds like a singing turd being strangled.

Chris Cornell is so much better, even if you dont like his current music his vocal abilities are so much better than Stewarts.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    It still seems to be the same type of lists from what I've seen lately. The only complaint I've heard is his band sucks. That's what he gets trying to replace thayil, cameron, and shephard with a bunch of average studio musicians.

Cheers.
    Know what you mean about the band. But those guys are pretty irreplaceable.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great analogy....they seem to be following a similar path.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I eagerly await Cornell's version of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy."
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    DocChicago wrote:
    LOL............that ran through my mind too. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JackieboyJackieboy Posts: 78
    DocChicago wrote:

HAHAHA! :D Good one! Anyhow, I think the latest album was "okay", average/decent, nothing more. It had a few good tracks such as Arms Around Your Love, Ghosts, Finally Forever and Disappearing act. The rest sucked major horse dick. Hated his riffing in No such Thing and Poison Eye. Honestly I hope the guy teams up with Jerry Cantrell or something. He needs a good band, not some kind of backing band but a few talented guys to write his material together with. Or if he wants to continue to make solo records I strongly suggest that he makes a concept record like Euphoria Morning which sounded almost the same all the way through. EM was great! I hope he drops this commercial 40yo-mother music -.-
  • Yeah, the new album was not spectacular... but it wouldnt be for anyone who was expecting an audioslave or soundgarden album. You have to take it for what it is... and if you are a cornell fan instead of soundgarden or audioslave you will be more inclined to give it a chance. I agree too that his new touring band is nothing like soundgarden or audioslave, but I went to see Cornell and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Still an amazing singer... and love to hear the acoustic versions of some of my favorite songs from his past bands.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • Since RS did a covers album, maybe Cornell will too - certainly that has to be better than Carry On...right?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Even Rod wouldn't sing any of those crap songs that were on Cornell's latest solo album.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Since RS did a covers album, maybe Cornell will too - certainly that has to be better than Carry On...right?

I think you'll find Rod's done about 5 or 6 covers albums.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I think you're being a little too hard on Cornell's latest work, but to each their own.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    This is a fucking joke what im reading. Im so sick and tired of people complaining about him. If you dont like his new album Carry on, thats fine. If you prefer his badmotorfinger, superunknown stuff go listen to it. What you except him to make the same cd over and over again, like ac dc come on. He still has one of the best voices in rock if not the best. Listen to how he singing the old songs on this tour. Cornell kicks ass so does his new album. Rod fucking Stewart my ass he miles ahead of him vocally.
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Personally, I think the touring band is great. No, they aren't Soundgarden. No, they aren't Audioslave. No, they aren't Temple of the Dog. But as a whole, I think they do a very good job with the songs.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Just the fact that he was part of Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave and a solo artist, should tell people that even if you do not like his last solo album, to ridicule this guy and his talent is complete joke.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tonadax wrote:

ive been listening to the faces a lot lately. it's kinda mind-blowing how he went from one of the most down and dirty rock bands to disco.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    DocChicago wrote:

haha :D
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Rod kicks Cornells ass as a solo artist. Rod also rocked in The Jeff Beck Group and The Faces.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    tonadax wrote:

If I get a chance tonight should I ask Chris what he thinks? hehe :D
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    This is a fucking joke what im reading. Im so sick and tired of people complaining about him. If you dont like his new album Carry on, thats fine. If you prefer his badmotorfinger, superunknown stuff go listen to it. What you except him to make the same cd over and over again, like ac dc come on.

You know what I'm sick and tired of? CC fans who assume that people don't like Carry On because it's not Soundgarden. You know why we don't like Carry On? Because it's unintelligent, boring pop music that is light even for the American Idol audience. I loved Soundgarden, I loved Audioslave, and I enjoy Euphoria Morning as well.... three DIFFERENT projects that were all great. I love it when Chris branches out and tries new things. That's not the problem here. The problem is that, with a few exceptions, the quality of his new material is terrible.

But yeah, it's good that you like Carry On. Just stop telling people who don't that it's because they don't like music that's 'different.' You people that do it know who you are.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    You know what I'm sick and tired of? CC fans who assume that people don't like Carry On because it's not Soundgarden. You know why we don't like Carry On? Because it's unintelligent, boring pop music that is light even for the American Idol audience. I loved Soundgarden, I loved Audioslave, and I enjoy Euphoria Morning as well.... three DIFFERENT projects that were all great. I love it when Chris branches out and tries new things. That's not the problem here. The problem is that, with a few exceptions, the quality of his new material is terrible.

But yeah, it's good that you like Carry On. Just stop telling people who don't that it's because they don't like music that's 'different.' You people that do it know who you are.

Finally a voice of reason.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,844
    DOSW wrote:

Sshhh...you are reinforcing these people because they get off thinking they are one of the few who "gets" the new album. You know these people. The ones who think Ten and Vs. suck and No Code is the greatest album of all time.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    DOSW wrote:

I'm enjoying the hell out of Cornell doing his thing solo, on his own terms...

I even like "Carry On" for it's good moments...

He rocked my musical world in LA last week...the man gave it up. All of it...

But I love this post because it annoys the hell out me that people dig into others just because their care for music is different. I can understand perfectly well why someone, who thinks that Cornell may be the greatest thing since sushi, may hate "Carry On". That simpy shows that you have a brain and can make a decision on your own;not that you're sitting in your parents' basement crying and cuddling a vinyl copy of Ultramega OK, wondering where it all went so horribly wrong. Good for you. Keep it up.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace