Will REM ever produce a decent album again?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited July 2007 in Other Music
When Bill Berry left the band it seemed to give them license to move in a different, more introspective direction. The line-up of albums since then have gone from bad to worse.

UP^ was the first true Bill Berry-less record. It had the introspective feel and more complex songwriting that probably satisfied the writer, but left the listener wondering. Reveal, their next album was flat out boring. Not one song could lift my pulse above comatose.To be honest, I haven't had the patience to even listen to 'Around the Sun' yet. The reviews are even worse than what I've given UP and REVEAL...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    yes. it's getting released later this year.

i agree with your opinion on reveal but around the sun was amazing, you should have a listen.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i really loved around the sun as well. i think it's extremely underrated.
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Up is an R.E.M. classic. It is one of their five best albums, easy. For the last four albums REM have been slow to produce. In 1996 they put out New Adventures which is considered right up there with Murmur and Automatic. Then Bill left the band and Up was made. The next two records were not so good, however. Not only was Up the first album without Bill, they switched producers form Scott Litt to Pat McCarthy. I think I heard that many of the songs on Up were written while Bill was still in the band. With Reveal and Around the Sun, Scott McCaughey and Ken Stringfellow had a great influence on the band and the sound of the records.
    From what I have read about the Dublin reviews, the new songs are more like old ones and rock more, and the band played a lot of older songs. The new record is being produced with Jacknife Lee and I am pretty sure either McCaughey or Stringfellow was absent from the performances (not sure about this).
    While I find the last two albums discouraging, songs like Aftermath (Around the Sun) show that they are still able to make rock songs that are fun to listen to.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    whulmef wrote:
    Up is an R.E.M. classic. It is one of their five best albums, easy. For the last four albums REM have been slow to produce. In 1996 they put out New Adventures which is considered right up there with Murmur and Automatic. Then Bill left the band and Up was made. The next two records were not so good, however. Not only was Up the first album without Bill, they switched producers form Scott Litt to Pat McCarthy. I think I heard that many of the songs on Up were written while Bill was still in the band. With Reveal and Around the Sun, Scott McCaughey and Ken Stringfellow had a great influence on the band and the sound of the records.
    From what I have read about the Dublin reviews, the new songs are more like old ones and rock more, and the band played a lot of older songs. The new record is being produced with Jacknife Lee and I am pretty sure either McCaughey or Stringfellow was absent from the performances (not sure about this).
    While I find the last two albums discouraging, songs like Aftermath (Around the Sun) show that they are still able to make rock songs that are fun to listen to.
    yep with jacknife lee on the buttons & knobs you can guarantee it's gonna be produced like a motherfucker. i love what he did with bloc party's weekend album
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Does anyone know REM's frequency?

Kenneth can you help me?

that may be the lamest post I ever made...go see my special event post in AET, even better!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    r.e.m.(rear entry men)............they are done,well done(as in,Finito).

r.e.m. should be renamed to the "Michael Stipe Project"...........THEY SUCK!!!!!!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    come on now G-man my brother. R.E.M. do not suck. yes, their latest offerings have been quite horrendous, but up was one solid piece of work. and, most of the albums prior to up were sweetass caroline.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    REM Rocks!!!...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I can't speak on Around the Sun, but there are parts of Reveal I quite like and I actually love Up. The new stuff sounds amazing by the way, so maybe the new album will change your mind.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I think "Around The Sun" is possibly one of the most underrated albums of the past few years. "Leaving New York" is possibly one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I can't wait for the new album, I think they will show everyone that they can still rock with the best of them.
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    To each their own I guess. I would rather R.E.M. do there own thing every time out (as they've been doing) than trying to recycle an imitation of Automatic or Out of Time for easy bucks. Props to them for doing things on their own terms. The last 3 studio albums have been a challenging listen, but they more than reward those who listen more than once or twice.