Ramones or The Clash

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2007 in Other Music
It´s like the apples to oranges comparison. Kind of like comparing The Rolling Stones and the Beatles though. Many similarities, but too different to pick one

I am a pretty big Ramones fan, and if I had to choose one band over the other, I'd take the Ramones. Although the clash are sooooooo solid. The Ramones were great because each member had a distinct personality that became even bigger in the group. Joey and Dee Dee were the writers, Johnny had the Ramones' "sound" and Tommy was the brains that made the whole thing sale-able.

The Clash had more to say, and more talent, and more brains and more energy, but the Ramones were "IT"...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I respect the Ramones, but I absolutely despise their music. The Clash by a country mile for me.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Ramones. This shouldn't even be debatable.

RAMONES RAMONES RAMONES RAMONES RAMONES RAMONES.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• I like the Ramones, but I love the Clash. Especially if you consider Strummer's stuff with the Mescaleros (which isn't really relevant to this thread, but worth pointing out anyways;))
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    The Clash
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    The Clash - best punk band, EVER.

the ramones are an amazing band, but the clash carry the tourch for the punk scene. too bad strumner died before the hof induction, they were gonna tour and that's about the time I really got into them. D'oh.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I respect the Ramones, but I absolutely despise their music. The Clash by a country mile for me.

Change "absolutely despise" to "could care less about" and this is how I feel as well ...

much respect to the Ramones, but I'll take the Clash *every* time.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Clash
    Just me
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I vote for The Clash.....they offered us much more then music...they had their politics, their fashion, the double/triple albums & it was a true event when they toured.

The Ramones were great, but they always stuck to the same formula.....it obviously worked, but they never really threw any curveballs at us. They toured very regularly, so after awhile, it wasn't that special to see them.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't care for either at all but I'd go with the Clash if I had to. punk has so much more to offer than either of these two bands. The Clash at least had some good songs, however overrated they are.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    The Clash.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I respect the Ramones, but I absolutely despise their music. The Clash by a country mile for me.

Here, Here, Here, THE CLASH love that song "Straight To Hell" I remember singing loudly one drinking late @ night in Camden. Plus to my surprise I heard a Clash song on one of those Bond flicks.

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I vote for Black Flag
  • The Clash, and it's not even close.
    NERDS!
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    The Clash
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    the clash ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • ok i'm gonna be biased and say the Clash but 30 years on you still hear about the clash's music, but for the Ramones you only hear about the image. But things may be the opposite in the US.
  • Never cared for either. If you'd asked, The New York Dolls or The Sex Pistols, that would have been fun.
  • the clash for sure, my favorite band. Although I do love the Ramones too.
    Saturnal wrote:
    I vote for Black Flag
    I agree.

I am currently debating whether to get the Black Flag logo as a tattoo.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    damn....that's a tough one...I'd give the slight edge to The Clash though...with no disrespect to the Ramones whatsoever!
    "It's all happening"
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    The Clash.But in the UK at the onset of punk The Pistols albeit for a very brief period were IT!
    The Clash were simply a Punk band with more musical talent than the others, with a political motivation and ambition beyond sticking two fingers up at the establishment,twigged when Punk was no longer fresh and meaningful and became a fully fledged stadium Rock/Reggae/Ska band.
    Which ironically is the antithesis of the Punk ethos.Still love loads of there songs though especially Complete Control.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • The Clash for sure. They kept things fresh by changing their sound, but still maintained their message. Where the Ramones songs all start to sound the same after a while. To me, the Clash are one of the most important bands in rock/punk history. I think alot of punk bands could take a lesson from the Clash that you can change, and make good music, but still keep your message and maintain credibility.
    Walking is still honest
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Unfortunately, I haven't heard enough Ramones, and have been planning on checking em out, picking up a couple of their albums, but never got the chance.

i've also wanted to check out the black flag.

the sex pistols--- not a fan...

the clash are amazing. every song is completely different and always fun to listen to.
  • tonadax wrote:

The Clash had more to say, and more talent, and more brains and more energy, but the Ramones were "IT"...

How funny... that says it all to me.
    I prefer The Clash without a doubt.

i've also wanted to check out the black flag.
    if you like UK punk then you might want to check out 'The First Four Years', before Black Flag had Henry Rollins. it's a lot more like UK punk.

if you want the true Black Flg experience though, 'Damaged' is the way to go. One of the best, most brutal records ever made. It's like a very quick, but very hard, punch to the face.
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    The Clash.

:D
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    The Clash
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • ledfloydledfloyd Posts: 604
    no contest, it's the clash, far more diverse...
    "won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom...cause all i've ever had, redemption songs"
    --BOB MARLEY