Why do we hate it when our bands become successful?

2»

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    What do we here consider success?

peace
    earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    I think Korn is a great example of this. Their first few records were angry, raw, but fresh and different. Everything post Follow the Leader has been like what the fuck, really guys? We get it you were pissed off. You had issues, but c'mon. You rich rock stars now. Life at least appears to be a little better. Rather than growing as a band they kept staying within that tortured angry band mold, that sounds like a parody of their former selves.

Pearl Jam, or Ed has been labeled as angry, or depressed, particularly on the first few records. The difference is that begining with No Code, there has been a shift in Ed's writing (or growth) in that in almost all of his angry songs (habit, grievance, save you, comotose) the feeling is directed at or about something/one else, instead of retreading on whatever might have ailed him in the past.

I liked Korn, but haven`t been able to buy their past few records because its always the same tired stuff.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I'll post my take on this. For me do I care if a band is popular or not? No.

However, lets use a 'for instance' of A.F.I. When they were on Nitro Records they were a punk band. They built a huge punk following and then after 7 discs (counting EP releases) they signed to a major label.

Their musical style changed DRASTICALLY. So when I say the last 2 albums were garbage, it's not that I hate them now that they are popular... it's just their music changed to be popular.

I don't know if I totally agree - they have changed over time, and the change started to be seen in Black Sails in the Sunset, then more so in The Art of Drowning, and then even more in Sing the Sorrow, and on. I think their sound started to change when Jade Puget joined as he basically writes all their music, and joined before Black Sails in the Sunset. One thing to keep in mind was Havok had voice issues after Sing the Sorrow, which I think explains the difference in his voice in December Underground.

I do totally agree with you on the difference between creating something that happens to be popular, and creating differently simply to BE popular.

g under p, that is a really good question! I guess to me, success would mean that you can support yourself in your profession while maintaining integrity to creating your art. If I was in a band I'd be shooting for the time that I can live decently, pay my bills, and have the means to create, and even create a record that bombs occasionally without it putting me bankrupt.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008