M. Ward

AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Anybody a fan?
"What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• me

love post war and would have given my left arm to see the tour with him, jim james, and conoor oberist(the monsters of folk tour)
  • clayton12 wrote:
    me

love post war and would have given my left arm to see the tour with him, jim james, and conoor oberist(the monsters of folk tour)

i saw this tour..and taped it..in Providence. A+ stuff.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    toddiet123 wrote:
    i saw this tour..and taped it..in Providence. A+ stuff.
    they also recorded an Austin City Limits with all 3 performing. I think it was labeled as a Bright Eyes show, but he brought the others onstage for a M. Ward and a MMJ tune.

M. Ward is awesome. Huge fan.
  • huge fan. everybody should see him live. the albums are nice and all, but they dont showcase just how great of a guitar player he is.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    he is one of the best in the world right now. yeah, i said it. i dare anyone who challenges that to go see him in concert. i saw him in austin a few months back and blown away by his mastery. i know people read praise like this alot for whoever, but he is the real deal. not to mention most of his show there were 2 DRUMMERS. the girl especially was amazing. i loved his band as they looked like a bunch of regular folk, not artsy, image-conscious wannabes. his new album i thought would be his best, but it's not. still awesome, but i'd rate it as 2nd or 3rd fav behind transistor radio and transfiguration of vincent.
  • they also recorded an Austin City Limits with all 3 performing. I think it was labeled as a Bright Eyes show, but he brought the others onstage for a M. Ward and a MMJ tune.
    Saw that ACL...good stuff.

I'm seeing him for the first time next month, what can I expect? Does he dig into the back catalog?
    i loved his band as they looked like a bunch of regular folk, not artsy, image-conscious wannabes.
    Should mention that I'm going because a friend of a friend plays in his backing band - Mike Coykendall. He is, by all accounts, a regular dude ;) [shameless plug]Check out Mike's other band, the Old Joe Clarks... [/shameless plug]
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    he played a lot from his last 3 records in austin. can't remember if anything from end of amnesia was played, or from duet for guitars #2, as i'm not familiar with any of that album. oh and i think a cover or 2 was thrown in.
    Saw that ACL...good stuff.

I'm seeing him for the first time next month, what can I expect? Does he dig into the back catalog?

Should mention that I'm going because a friend of a friend plays in his backing band - Mike Coykendall. He is, by all accounts, a regular dude ;) [shameless plug]Check out Mike's other band, the Old Joe Clarks... [/shameless plug]

That's awesome. He's the other guitarist/vocalist right? That dude did an amazing job complimenting Matt - awesome harmonies, great guit playing. Reminded me of a prof I had in school. Oh and I got his cd when I bought Transfiguration at the show, but it has sat in my room with the other stacks of music yet to be listened to. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    This album Post War is sounding pretty fantastic right now...
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    good thread. i've started one on him before. m. ward is amazing.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    He rules. I just saw him open for (and play with) Norah Jones a couple of weeks ago. She came out with him and did four songs with him. Mike joined him for the fourth of those songs and the rest of the set. Norah Jones' guitarist sat in on the last two. Then M. Ward came out toward the end of Norah Jones' set and did four with her and her band, including a cover of Creedence's Green River.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    My friend turned me on to Post-War and I think it's pretty fantastic. Had tickets to see him perform with the Boston Pops, but they couldn't get the arrangements together and the show was postponed. Bad times...
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Is Jim James on this album somewhere>
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • marino13marino13 Posts: 31
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Is Jim James on this album somewhere>

He sings backup on "Magic Trick" and "Chinese Translation". Even better is a song called "Headed For a Fall". It is a b-side on the "To Go Home" single and features Jim and Neko Case on backup vocals, and Nels Cline from Wilco on guitar. Fantastic stuff.

http://sand-is-overrated.blogspot.com/2007/02/m-ward-nels-cline-jim-james-neko-case.html
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Did anyone hear him do that live in-studio on KEXP with Zooey Deschanel earlier this week? He's great, of course, but Zooey's actually got a pretty good voice.