Just heard Glósóli by Sigur Rós

BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Speechless. First song I have ever heard by them and I am in love. Truly unbelievable.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nice to know you've been converted.. amazing band, amazing song, and they have a new album out on Monday. :D I'm so excited I feel like sleeping off every day until it's out.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    yep, i dont get it at all. dragging out ever part of the song just seems boring to me.
  • yep, i dont get it at all. dragging out ever part of the song just seems boring to me.

they probably play as many notes as any other band. they just play them slower.

it's meant to be mellow. if you're into speed metal then go listen to that.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • AndySlash wrote:

Holy shit! Heima.... perfect music blended with perfect film-making.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    The new album is so good. They strike beauty once again.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • yep, i dont get it at all. dragging out ever part of the song just seems boring to me.

Sigur Ros is one of the best bands today & that is one of the greatest songs ever. It is truly a wonderful, euphoric, ethereal piece of 7-or so minute bliss - It is what heaven sounds like.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
    Sigur Ros is one of the best bands today & that is one of the greatest songs ever. It is truly a wonderful, euphoric, ethereal piece of 7-or so minute bliss - It is what heaven sounds like.

if thats what heaven sounds like, ill be looking forward to hell.
    they probably play as many notes as any other band. they just play them slower.

it's meant to be mellow. if you're into speed metal then go listen to that.

you can be mellow without dragging ever riff out for 2-5 minutes. every transition last for minutes. plenty of bands write mellow stuff that doesnt turtle along. they are monotonous not mellow.

i really dont see the praise. everytime people post something by them here i listen to it cause they get so much praise, but im starting to think people have gone crazy from lack of recent good music that they will bite at anything that is so-called different, i dont know......
  • Sawyer wrote:
    you really don't get music if you cannot appreciate what these guys do...sorry.

Oh, come on. Really? :rolleyes:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i really dont see the praise. everytime people post something by them here i listen to it cause they get so much praise, but im starting to think people have gone crazy from lack of recent good music that they will bite at anything that is so-called different, i dont know......
    WELL... almost half of my music collection is from the 21st century so I don't have a lack of good recent music (and anyone that does isn't looking hard enough) and I think Sigur Ros are excellent.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    sigur ros are amazing and i can't wait for the new album. Congrats on finally realizing their greatness Benzor. Sorry to all that don't "get it", you truly are missing out.

btw... anybody see their performance at Roo? I wasn't there and i'm wondering how well it turned out
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
    Sawyer wrote:
    you really don't get music if you cannot appreciate what these guys do...sorry.

ive been playing guitar for 10 years, i think i know at least something about music. thats why i dont get them. there are bands i dont like that i atleast respect, radiohead being one and steve vai, dream theater. but these guys i cant say too much positive other than ambien or lunesta has some serious competition.
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    Theyre playing London soon, I had my chance to get tickets but I procrastinated....and they sold out, and im on a downer about it :(
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ive been playing guitar for 10 years, i think i know at least something about music. thats why i dont get them. there are bands i dont like that i atleast respect, radiohead being one and steve vai, dream theater. but these guys i cant say too much positive other than ambien or lunesta has some serious competition.
    Someone disliking but respecting Dream Theater and not being able to do the same for Sigur Ros is completely insane to me.

Dream Theater are a truly, irredeemably dreadful band :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    really REALLY love GOBBLEDIGOOK!!! can't wait for the new album :D

heima is one the most beautiful & brilliant music films of all time, SEE IT!!!
    the part when the band is down in that cave playing that home made instrument made out of stones! holy fuck that is incredible :eek:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    really cool band. Just saw them at bonnaroo and they put on a great show. Granted I was on some shrooms it was some of the most hypnotic and mellow music i've ever heard.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • ive been playing guitar for 10 years, i think i know at least something about music. thats why i dont get them. there are bands i dont like that i atleast respect, radiohead being one and steve vai, dream theater. but these guys i cant say too much positive other than ambien or lunesta has some serious competition.

I have a degree in music & have been playing guitar for 15 years - Sigur Ros are amazing
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    The new album is so good. They strike beauty once again.
    you mean you have it already??? i want it now! PM me and ill give you my email... thanks! :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Absolutely fucking amazing songs so far after like 2 listens and a million listens of these songs:

Illgresi
    Festival
    Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

Holy hell.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Theyre playing London soon, I had my chance to get tickets but I procrastinated....and they sold out, and im on a downer about it :(

Yeah I wanted to go aswell but I already had a Radiohead ticket for that day.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Jeff BebeJeff Bebe Posts: 27
    Theyre playing London soon, I had my chance to get tickets but I procrastinated....and they sold out, and im on a downer about it

You could come to Iceland on june 28th, Sigur Rós and Björk having a free outdoor concert in Reykjavik
    It's okay! I'm easy to forget! I'm only the fucking lead singer! - Jeff Bebe, Almost Famous
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Well I bought Takk... and it was amazing. I'm going out tomorrow to get their other albums before the new one comes out. I'm so happy I discovered this amazing band....aband has not had an impact on me like this since I first heard Pearl Jam and Jeff Buckley.
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    sgossard3 wrote:
    you mean you have it already??? i want it now! PM me and ill give you my email... thanks! :D

you get a free digital download of the new cd along with a couple videos when you pre-order the cd :)
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
    Benzor wrote:
    Well I bought Takk... and it was amazing. I'm going out tomorrow to get their other albums before the new one comes out. I'm so happy I discovered this amazing band....aband has not had an impact on me like this since I first heard Pearl Jam and Jeff Buckley.

Don't worry about picking up Von... but Agaetis is amazing and ( ) is just breath-takingly fucking incredible.... listen to that at night when you're just spaced out, or just need something to relax to, and after you've done that enough, those songs sound amazing at any time.
  • I've listened to the audio stream of the new album several times now but still don't seem to be able to get through the second half without feeling incredibly, incredibly melancholic.. it's perhaps the most emotional stuff they've ever done, for me.

That's not to say it's not fucking incredible, beautiful, ethereal. Sigur Ros have struck gold again... and I'll be rushing out 9.00am Monday morning to pick it up on CD.