Snakes & Arrows Live

BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Picked this up today. Any Rush fans should get this one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I pre-ordered it months ago....should have it in the mail soon along w/ a t-shirt
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I pre-ordered from Amazon and received today. Just in time for a six hour drive down to Cincinnati for work. Plenty of time to give S&A Live the run-through more than once! I think this is the best recording of any of their live releases -- uncompressed audio all the way. R30 is still my favorite set, but this one is a real treat!! Get it now!

I see they dedicated this one to their media publicist who passed away earlier this year...
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Benzor wrote:
    Picked this up today. Any Rush fans should get this one.

I had a friend pick this up today but I've yet to listen to it. I saw them on Sunday night 4/13 in Fort Lauderdale and another great show overall. Comparing it to the shows I saw last year though they were not at there best. It was there 1st show back in the states after leaving San Juan, Puerto Rico and some rust showed.

Not my favorite setlist although very similar to the S&A LIVE album. I'll be seeing them 7/19 near Washington DC and rust will be long gone by then.

I need to go and view my own video I took of the show, security was very lax. The mostly over 40 crowd pulled some of the best Wacky Tabacky I've ever come across. :)

Also, I got tons of compliments on my still vintage Grace Under Pressure World Tour t-shirt my first RUSH show of near 40 now.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    thanks for posting this. You just got me in the mood to listen to snakes and arrows. Far cry is an incredible song. (so is workin them angels, monkey biz, malnar and bravest face)

I will definately be buying this sometime this week or next week.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Got it in the mail yesterday. Good stuff so far.

Was anyone else a little sad that they broke the "4 studio albums and a live album" streak over the past few years with all of the live releases? Obviously more is better, but it was kinda fun to look back at their history and hear each live album as a microcosm of where they were at that moment in their careers. The live discs seemed to always follow pivotal albums/moments: 2112, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, T4E.
    BinFrog wrote:
    Got it in the mail yesterday. Good stuff so far.

Was anyone else a little sad that they broke the "4 studio albums and a live album" streak over the past few years with all of the live releases? Obviously more is better, but it was kinda fun to look back at their history and hear each live album as a microcosm of where they were at that moment in their careers. The live discs seemed to always follow pivotal albums/moments: 2112, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, T4E.

I wasn't necessarly sad but more surprised that they broke up the *4 studio + a live album* when I was sent an email update. From the show on Sunday it appears to be mostly the same set list. Great concert sound however RUSH to me IS more of sound and a visual band.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    I wasn't necessarly sad but more surprised that they broke up the *4 studio + a live album* when I was sent an email update. From the show on Sunday it appears to be mostly the same set list. Great concert sound however RUSH to me IS more of sound and a visual band.

Peace

is this one whole concert, or the similar to the different stages cd from 96?
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • yes good stuff.
    their 4oth aniversary dvd is pretty good.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Thanks, didn't even know about this. Finally, something new to listen to.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
    is this one whole concert, or the similar to the different stages cd from 96?

To me their formula for recording these Live albums is to record 2 shows then add or subtract different songs to further expand their official live song recordings.

S&A was also recorded over 2 shows in Holland and Sunday's show now that I've taken a closer listen is almost exactly like this Live album with a few subtractions here and there.

I was really looking forward to see if they would play *Earthshine* from VT which they played @ Bristow, VA last year. The only time of 3 shows I saw on the S&A Tour.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    To me their formula for recording these Live albums is to record 2 shows then add or subtract different songs to further expand their official live song recordings.

S&A was also recorded over 2 shows in Holland and Sunday's show now that I've taken a closer listen is almost exactly like this Live album with a few subtractions here and there.

I was really looking forward to see if they would play *Earthshine* from VT which they played @ Bristow, VA last year. The only time of 3 shows I saw on the S&A Tour.

Peace

Thanx. i thought it was taken from a bunch of their shows and the best ones were picked. i was hoping to hear a song from the show i went to. and earthshine is a great song. vapor trails is great.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Thanx. i thought it was taken from a bunch of their shows and the best ones were picked. i was hoping to hear a song from the show i went to. and earthshine is a great song. vapor trails is great.

VT was by far IMO a better album than S&A. However, I put down S&A cause I didn't like it as much as VT. Also keep in mind it had been at least 5 years since they had a new studio release and I was hungry for something new from the band to listen to.

Peace

• weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I'll be seeing them perform here in Austin next week and I hope I'm not disappointed. RUSH was my favorite band for many years prior to PJ and the rise of grunge. I saw them play many times in the 80's and early 90's but it's been a long, long while. Thought I ought to go since they were coming to Austin and since Neil Peart is the God of Drums (sorry Matt). I'll post a review here, the concert is on the 23rd of April. Thanks for the review of the CD.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    g under p wrote:
    VT was by far IMO a better album than S&A. However, I put down S&A cause I didn't like it as much as VT. Also keep in mind it had been at least 5 years since they had a new studio release and I was hungry for something new from the band to listen to.

Peace

vapor trails was a great album, the theme on it was very fluent, but still had alot of different songs. it was a very energetic/new age album.....but i think S&A is more crafted and refined. To say which one is better is very hard, but all i have to say is Far Cry is an absolute incredible song :D!
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    vapor trails was a great album, the theme on it was very fluent, but still had alot of different songs. it was a very energetic/new age album.....but i think S&A is more crafted and refined. To say which one is better is very hard, but all i have to say is Far Cry is an absolute incredible song :D!

I love VT, but the clipping/static issues on it kill me. It would be a top 3-4 album of mine if the sound quality was better.