Rush - Most musically talented band of all time

BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Keep in my that this is my opinion so don't jump over me if you disagree. Instead I would like to hear what you guys think.

Rush's talent as far as lyrics, melodies, composition, creativity is unrivaled in my opinion. They are not my favorite band (although I would put them in my top 10) but I am always blown away by their talent, musical knowledge, and creativity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would definitely put them in a group of the top ten. Hard to say who would be number 1.

Great band,put on a great show!

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • Love Rush....started listening to them like when I was 14, a long time ago.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • TrauTrau Posts: 188
    No.
    In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    Frigid statue standing icy blue and numb
    Where are the frost giants Ive begged for protection?
    I'm freezing

Are you afraid, afraid to die
    Don't be afraid, afraid to try
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Trau wrote:
    No.

Great post. Care to share why or post who you think is more talented or are you just trying to up your post count?
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Such a great band. Have yet to hear a convincing argument on how they weren't one of the most importantant 70's bands
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Neil Pert is one of the greatest drummers to ever beat the skins!!!

I was lucky enough to see Rush a couple years ago for their anniversary tour. They were amazing!!! I'm real happy i got to see them live.
  • TrauTrau Posts: 188
    Benzor wrote:
    Great post. Care to share why or post who you think is more talented or are you just trying to up your post count?

Come on man, Alvin and the Chipmunks was a CARTOON. That's all it was; not some talented group. They were repackaged as Rush and the rest is misery.
    In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    Frigid statue standing icy blue and numb
    Where are the frost giants Ive begged for protection?
    I'm freezing

Are you afraid, afraid to die
    Don't be afraid, afraid to try
  • rush have always been one of my favourite bands. exit stage left was the 3rd ever 'heavy metal' album i bought. on vinyl!

wether they are the best ever musicains is a very subective subject, however it is certain that they are very accomplished at their instruments. i usually hate drum solos but neil peart's is always something to behold!

can't wait until may for their new album 'snakes and arrows'.
  • Musically, Rush is amazing. Geddy Lee's voice though, makes me cringe. I truly wish it didn't because they have some fantastic songs, but in general, I can't enjoy them.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Sad that those fools in the R&R hall of shame don't ever bring Rush up as their time is sure due.

One of, if not, the best bass players in the world.
    A very cool, funny, talented and often overlooked guitarist.
    One of, if not, the best drummers in the world.

I know the voice, length of tunes or just the fact that Rush is not for everybody's liking. But opinions will always be different on if they are good or not.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Benzor wrote:
    Keep in my that this is my opinion so don't jump over me if you disagree. Instead I would like to hear what you guys think.

Rush's talent as far as lyrics, melodies, composition, creativity is unrivaled in my opinion. They are not my favorite band (although I would put them in my top 10) but I am always blown away by their talent, musical knowledge, and creativity.
    lifeson is the weak link

and buddy rich is the greatest drummer of all time with piert and bonham tied for 2nd
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    even flow? wrote:
    Sad that those fools in the R&R hall of shame don't ever bring Rush up as their time is sure due.

One of, if not, the best bass players in the world.
    A very cool, funny, talented and often overlooked guitarist.
    One of, if not, the best drummers in the world.

I know the voice, length of tunes or just the fact that Rush is not for everybody's liking. But opinions will always be different on if they are good or not.
    Amen, Brother flow?, amen....those dopey Hall of Fame folks will probably put New Kids on the Block in the hall before Rush. :rolleyes:

Yes, a truly great band with some of the best talent going......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Rush are great, and i agree that they are in the top 10 most musically talented bands of all time, along with Tool.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Musically, Rush is amazing. Geddy Lee's voice though, makes me cringe. I truly wish it didn't because they have some fantastic songs, but in general, I can't enjoy them.
    I was about to say the exact same thing. I just can't get into them because of his voice. To each his/her own...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    boggles the mind that they are year in and year out ignored by the rock and roll hall of fame.

what gives.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I agree. They are tops in my book. I also agree that Neil Peart is the best drummer of all time. If any of you fans haven't seen their video "Show of Hands", rent it, buy it whatever. Incredible solos. The next best thing to seeing him live.

I also think the words to their songs are unlike any other rock band. Neil's philosophy as been a huge comfort as well as a learning experience for me over the past twenty years or so.

And Geddy is something special.

I agree also with what someone said about Lifeson being the weak link.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Their singer sounds like a woman and their music sounds like total shit, I dont care if they have a great drummer..........their music still sucks.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    For me no one tops Zeppelin. But, I still love Rush, and think they are definitely up there in terms of talent. Peart is like from another world.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    You know you are a cool band when Primus does covers of your tunes......:D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Rush isn't in the Hall of Fame yet? What a joke! They are way more deserving than some of the artists I've seen get in the past few years.

Dare I say Canada's greatest export? Of course Neil Pert is one of the top rock drummers, if not the best. That's a given. I believe he also writes the lyrics for most or all of their songs too. They have so many good ones. I think the biggest problem people have with Rush is Geddy Lee's voice. It took a while to win me over too.