PAUL WELLER: I just finished watching The Who at TRAH. Paul Weller???

JackisBackJackisBack Posts: 92
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Paul Weller is playing three nights at Irving Plaza next week...I'm not too familiar with his work. How hard should I try to get tix?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• knittedknitted Posts: 244
    paul weller is a goddamn full-on music icon. you should try. and hope he plays a jam song (although that's highly unlikely). and i mean THE jam, not P jam.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • gazgaz Posts: 233
    I'm a massive Weller fan and could'nt recommend him highly enough,his set mainly consists of his solo stuff but a lot of the time he plays songs from his Jam and Style council days.I saw him in Dublin in November and he was fucking awesome,he brings a lot of energy to his shows for a man of his years(47,I think!).When you buy a Weller ticket you also get the bonus of seeing one of the best drummers in the world in Steve White,who in my opinion is up there with the very best there is or has ever been,I'm a huge fan of his and would nearly go to the gig just to see him play.You should go,I would if I could!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    he is the man behind The Jam... you require no further information! :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I'm there!

Q:

1) SHould I buy some of his music before or I go

OR

2) Just go in blind

I went in blind and saw Lou Reed perform "Berlin" last month. I consider him a god these days!
  • JackisBack wrote:
    I'm there!

Q:

1) SHould I buy some of his music before or I go

OR

2) Just go in blind

I went in blind and saw Lou Reed perform "Berlin" last month. I consider him a god these days!
    Get Stanley Road and Catch-Flame!, that should give you an idea of what he's like. An absolute icon of British rock.
  • No, get Wild Wood and Amongst Butterflies.

G'damn brilliant he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQvfjqYUmzo
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    By the way everyone, he's doing a three night stand-one Jam, im not sure on the second, and the third is his entire career.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    He has an Antology of all his work(jam,style council and solo) out so you should check. has brought some brillant solo albums and singles out over the last few years. The first few years of the jam were very who sounding. "all mod cons" is their masterpiece. Going underground is a great song and you should know where the bassline out of "Start" is from. "A town called malice" is a good as any motown song
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    fada wrote:
    He has an Antology of all his work(jam,style council and solo) out so you should check. has brought some brillant solo albums and singles out over the last few years. The first few years of the jam were very who sounding. "all mod cons" is their masterpiece. Going underground is a great song and you should know where the bassline out of "Start" is from. "A town called malice" is a good as any motown song

Going Underground is my favorite song by them. Fucking brilliant
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I've been watching the Tour de France on Versus and they have a commercial (Take Back the Tour). I absolutely hate the commercial for a couple of reasons, but really liked the song. It is Paul Weller, Brand New Start. I am totally unfamiliar with him, but I bought the song and plan on listening to some more. I usually like "harder" songs. Any suggestions on what songs I might start with?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Ten years ago my study record was a Paul Weller compilation Modern Classics. It had Brand New Start on it. Could be a good place to start.

You can preview the songs on it with amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Weller-Modern-Classics-Greatest/dp/B00000FDNW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215809242&sr=8-1

Oh and here he is doing one of The Jam songs already mentioned. Town Called Malice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70VlkXN-ss&feature=related
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    Ten years ago my study record was a Paul Weller compilation Modern Classics. It had Brand New Start on it. Could be a good place to start.

You can preview the songs on it with amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Weller-Modern-Classics-Greatest/dp/B00000FDNW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215809242&sr=8-1

Oh and here he is doing one of The Jam songs already mentioned. Town Called Malice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70VlkXN-ss&feature=related

Thanks. By the way, what is a "study record?"
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Thanks. By the way, what is a "study record?"

:D

What I would put on while I was studying so it always reminds me of being at university

oh btw his nickname on this side of the pond is The Modfather :cool: :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Chime wrote:
    :D

What I would put on while I was studying so it always reminds me of being at university

ahhhhh, I get it. I was thinking that you had a music class, and you did a dissertation or something on that record. :)