Mars Volta 9/22 in Chicago

cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Well, I was lucky enough to see these guys on 1 of only a few headlining shows in the midst of their tour opening up for the Chili Peppers and all I can say is WOW! They played at the Aragon, which is probably the worst general admission venue in Chicago. The sound really sucked but the show was great! Here's the setlist:

Fistfull of Dollars intro
Interstellar Overdrive Jam
Day of the Baphomets w/ Jam
Vermicide
Cygnus
The Widow
Frances the Mute
Tetragrammaton
Rapid Fire Tolbooth <
NEW SONG!!
Asilos Magdalena
Viscera Eyes
Roulette Dares

Aside from the poor sound quality, this was one of the better shows I have seen. I highly encourage people to go see these guys when they do a full headlining tour next year.

They just came out with Amputechture and they're already playing songs from their NEXT album! Rumor has it that they are already half done recording their 4th!
Obama/Biden '08!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I've been dying to see these guys again, but I can't pay the money to see them play a few songs with RHCP.

I heard Omar refer to their new recent album as their old album, so yes they are working on a 4th.

Can't wait til the tour again next year, but I still can't get over that Jon's gone : (
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    I've been dying to see these guys again, but I can't pay the money to see them play a few songs with RHCP.

I heard Omar refer to their new recent album as their old album, so yes they are working on a 4th.

Can't wait til the tour again next year, but I still can't get over that Jon's gone : (

I know what you mean, I passed on seeing them open for System last year. I couldn't believe that they even played this show in the middle of touring with RHCP.

I think it's bogus on Cedric and Omar's part to have kicked out Jon. I mean just listen to his work on the new album and try to call him lazy! What a bunch of crap :-( I would imagine those 2 are a real pain in the ass to work with.

Don't know how true it is but I heard rumors that Jon might be doing some work with Zach de la Rocha. That would be pretty sweet if it's true.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I seen them open for system and they were amazing but obviously the crowd sucked.. so i skipped RHCP for that reason.. way too mainstream of fans to even begin to get the mars volta.. anyways the local paper here interviewed them and it gives some nice insight into why they still play shows like this:

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=155281&x=articles&s=events
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    Well, I was lucky enough to see these guys on 1 of only a few headlining shows in the midst of their tour opening up for the Chili Peppers and all I can say is WOW! They played at the Aragon, which is probably the worst general admission venue in Chicago. The sound really sucked but the show was great! Here's the setlist:

Fistfull of Dollars intro
    Interstellar Overdrive Jam
    Day of the Baphomets w/ Jam
    Vermicide
    Cygnus
    The Widow
    Frances the Mute
    Tetragrammaton
    Rapid Fire Tolbooth <
    NEW SONG!!
    Asilos Magdalena
    Viscera Eyes
    Roulette Dares

Aside from the poor sound quality, this was one of the better shows I have seen. I highly encourage people to go see these guys when they do a full headlining tour next year.

They just came out with Amputechture and they're already playing songs from their NEXT album! Rumor has it that they are already half done recording their 4th!

Hey I was at the show and I was really stoked that they opened up with Interstellar Overdrive.....like PJ!! yeah the sound was pretty shitty...i was dead center in the balcony :(. I just came back from seeing them in Wisconsin...it was great....the sound was a lot better!!