Options

The new Radiohead songs fucking SUCK!

Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I'm the biggest Radiohead fan ever. I love all of their albums and b-sides, but I just can't get my head around these new songs at all. I feel totally opposite than how I felt when I first heard the live preview of the "Hail To The Thief" songs. There are 3 or 4 new ones that I haven't heard yet, including the "Arpeggi" song that everyone is creaming over...but the songs I have heard fucking BLOW. And the new version of "Nude" is a total disgrace. It's even worse than the '03 re-working of "Lift".

I think they've finally "lost it".

Am I alone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Yes, you're alone. You suck.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'm the biggest Radiohead fan ever. I love all of their albums and b-sides, but I just can't get my head around these new songs at all. I feel totally opposite than how I felt when I first heard the live preview of the "Hail To The Thief" songs. There are 3 or 4 new ones that I haven't heard yet, including the "Arpeggi" song that everyone is creaming over...but the songs I have heard fucking BLOW. And the new version of "Nude" is a total disgrace. It's even worse than the '03 re-working of "Lift".

I think they've finally "lost it".

Am I alone?

i heard "Arpeggi" and i dug it. i haven't heard anything else really. RH can't let us down, man. i'll reserve my judgement until i have heard more.
    Perhaps someday I'll crawl home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.

-Sylvia Plath
  • Options
    where are you guys hearing songs?
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    where are you guys hearing songs?

a bud of mine sent me a live verson of "Areggi". i think you can find it on youtube maybe. i'm not sure about the others.
    Perhaps someday I'll crawl home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.

-Sylvia Plath
  • Options

I asked for your opinion of the songs, not your opinion of me. Lame Radiohead worshippers need not repsond with personal attacks.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i have a recent toronto show and some other stuff here
    http://idisk.mac.com/vish1-Public
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,608
    JWBusher wrote:
    I asked for your opinion of the songs, not your opinion of me. Lame Radiohead worshippers need not repsond with personal attacks.

you also asked if you were alone in these opinions. Obviously you are.
  • Options
    yep.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Umm ... no they don't.

Arpeggi, in its various incarnations, and most definitely in the full band version being performed currently, is gorgeous. Bodysnatchers crawls in your head in an amazingly rocking way ... and how can you not love 15 Step?

I'm really looking forward to the album. I love these songs already and I can't wait to hear what they've done to them in the studio.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Everything I have heard so far I love, Arpeggi is great, Nude sounds great, 15 steps and Open Pick are decent enough for the album. Body snatchers is incredible.

Maybe you'll change your mind when you hear the finished product. I don't think Radiohead could ever put out a bad album, and I don't see them starting now
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    actually, what you said could be translated to "i've lost my mind, please yell at me".

"Make our day"
  • Options
    actually, what you said could be translated to "i've lost my mind, please yell at me".

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    JWBusher wrote:

1) I don't worship them.
    2) You're lame
    3) You asked if you're alone, and you are. Because...

You suck.
  • Options
    manny_81manny_81 Posts: 17
    saw them live in toronto
    and i really like the new songs
    So I bid farewell to the Eastern town I never more will see;
    But work I must so I eat this dust and breathe refinery.
    Oh I miss the green and the woods and streams and I don't like cowboy clothes;
    But I like being free and that makes me an idiot I suppose.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    No they don't.
    15 Step is an amazing, amazing song. In fact, it the work of a genius. Bloody brilliant. Does that guitar remind anyone else of Louie Louie, just a bit?

Bangers N' Mash is fun ... Kinda like Myxomatosis, only better.
    Bodysnatchers rocks too, but its not exactly melodic. That one will take a while to grow on me.

Open Pick reminds me a little of I Might Be Wrong ... Which isn't a bad thing.
  • Options
    Spooks is interesting, too ... Its about 1 minute of Pulp Fiction style surf guitar .... WTF, you ask? Exactly. See, Radiohead don't take themselves too seriously!
  • Options
    Spooks is interesting, too ... Its about 1 minute of Pulp Fiction style surf guitar .... WTF, you ask? Exactly. See, Radiohead don't take themselves too seriously!

Spooks! I was so happy that they played that at the Tower because it's just plain fun!!
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    Spooks! I was so happy that they played that at the Tower because it's just plain fun!!

Is there a musical style that Jonny and Ed cannot play? Seriously, these guys are phenomenal musicians.

One thing that drives me nuts is that I cannot actually see who is playing what on these new songs, and I'm dying to know. Apparently Jonny plays drums on Down is the New Up ...
  • Options
    remember a few months ago Jonny said he listened to nothing but Reggae for months? (maybe he said over a year, i dont remember)

crazy mofo.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I don't want to hear any of the new stuff until the album comes out. Don't you guys find that already knowing some of the songs can ruin the new album experience for you?
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    I don't want to hear any of the new stuff until the album comes out. Don't you guys find that already knowing some of the songs can ruin the new album experience for you?

nah, never understood this mindset. but everyone enjoys the music in their own ways, i suppose.

-Sylvia Plath
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    JWBusher wrote:

ha, funny how you like their other stuff but then bash the Radiohead fans out there...
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I heard some of the new songs at Montreal 2. From what I heard, the new songs sound like their going to be killer. It's kind of a broad statement to just say that they all suck. Hearing them live for the first time you may not always get a good idea of how they'll actually sound if the sound isn't the greatest in the venue.

Oh, and you suck! Ha Ha.
  • Options
    Heard mosta the new stuff at Hammersmith apollo, it's OK but wasn't mindblowing... maybe they'll rework it a bit before the record cometh out
  • Options
    I remember that many people also had a pretty lukewarm reaction to the Hail To The Thief songs when they were first played live, well before the album came out. Now, most people seem to like them.
    Radiohead rarely evokes a strong positive response right off the bat (at least, their newer stuff doesn't). Their songs sneak up on you.
  • Options
    I've only heard Bangers & Mash and i like it, I have to agree though, Radiohead are not an immediate band, their music takes time to work it's way under your skin, all their albums for me have taken their time to work their magic on me.
    Ok & The Bend had their instantly likable tracks but the one that took their time like Bullet proof & nice dream became some of my fav's.

I remember hearing Hail and thinking I as a Radiohead fan had been cheated out of a great album and was really disapointed, but over time i grew to like it. So I can see new songs being played live not being instant hits with everyone. It's a bit naive to think you'll like them immediately.

The thing that does nark me though is having to wait till 2007 for a new album, anyway hopefully thom's album will make up for it, I havn't heard any of it yet but some of you have said it's good so I look forward to it.
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I've heard some of their new songs and frankly I don't have an opinion about them. I wouldn't say they flat out suck but for some reason I'm not dying to hear their new material...wasn't even thrilled about getting Thom Yorke's solo album. I've got it now and think its ok...about as good as Radiohead b-sides from Amnesia or HTTT.
    Maybe its because there is too much of other music to listen to and when Radiohead finally release the album I'll be all over it but for now it's not rocking my world.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    I remember hearing Hail and thinking I as a Radiohead fan had been cheated out of a great album and was really disapointed, but over time i grew to like it. So I can see new songs being played live not being instant hits with everyone. It's a bit naive to think you'll like them immediately.

You're probably right, but I absolutely loved the "Hail" songs when I first heard the live previews. That's probably why I feel compelled to complain about the lack of quality with these new songs.
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I am a huge fan as well and I love both of them. I was at both Philly shows, and 4 Minute Warning is GORGEOUS!

I also like Bangers 'n Mash, 15 Step and Videotape.

For those who haven't heard them yet, check out the "multimedia" section of the radiohead msg board on ateaseweb.com.