'Ghosts' by Chris Cornell really is a great song

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Now, I'm by no means a Carry On fan at all, but I've got to give credit where credit is due. Like most people, I'm not very happy that Chris has gone "soft" (except for his live shows of course)... songs like Dandelion and Arms Around Your Love make me wish he was still writing songs like Slaves and Bulldozers and Ty Cobb.

But Ghosts kinda makes me get it. When I'm listening to it I can't help but feel happy for the guy, on a personal level, for moving away from his old state of mind. I'm glad that he's finally found happiness.

Musically, Carry On and some of the later Audioslave work is pretty weak. But the personal nature behind it gives it a lot more power, I think.

----

I know what you're looking for
You've looked in these eyes before
And all you saw was blue green water
Searching for a mirror
That would show the world not who you are
But who you wanna be
And you thought you'd found that one in me
But it's been a long time since I heard that name

He doesn't live here anymore
Don't know where he's residing
you can wait here if you want
But I don't think he's coming back

Sure you've found the right place
The same address you knew before
But that won't change what lies behind the door
And what lies underneath had to change from the inside out

Don't know where he's residing
I think it's better if you go
Cause I don't want him coming back

Yes I know the name sounds a little bit familiar
Like a melody to a dream
Yes I know he wore the same face, the same clothes
But that was so long ago

I know who you want to find
Somewhere is the memory of somebody I left behind
Well lets take it all in stride
Yeah it's that time to say goodbye
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The note he holds towards the end, on that "anymore", is pretty much all the justification the song needs.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • true, it is pretty much the highlight of Carry On, but I wish he woulda gone in more of a soulful direction throughout the record ala songs like Moonchild, When I'm Down and Wave Goodbye... Lets hope for a little more of that with the new album because I don't think we'll get the rockin CC we once knew.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • I like Dandelion... better than anything on his last solo record...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • I love "Ghosts". I'd say that song, along with the beautiful "Disappearing Act" which seems to be all about time and ageing and change, and the incredibly dark "Killing Birds", are the very best songs on "Carry On". I think a lot of people were misled into thinking CC had gone soft by the less rock-y arrangements...the subject matter and the melodies were as weird and wonderful as ever. :)
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    His voice is awesome on Ghosts, I love his use of falsetto, it all sound how effortless!
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "Ghosts" by Chris Cornell is better than "Ghost" by Pearl Jam and the majority of the Nine Inch Nails album "Ghosts" (in which the tracks are all called "Ghosts") but it is not as good as "Born as Ghosts" by Rage Against The Machine.

I think it's an alright song though. That acoustic guitar at 1:19-1:24 sounds great.
  • muppet wrote:
    "Ghosts" by Chris Cornell is better than "Ghost" by Pearl Jam and the majority of the Nine Inch Nails album "Ghosts" (in which the tracks are all called "Ghosts") but it is not as good as "Born as Ghosts" by Rage Against The Machine.

And it's better than 'Weighty Ghost' by Wintersleep.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison