• Into the Wild
    NERDS!
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Arguably country:

Tom Petty & heartbreakers
    Patty Griffin
    Tom Waits
    Ash Grunwald

and like everyone said wilco, ryan adams.
  • nekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekoneko sonvolt nekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekonekoneko
    the Minions
  • MarblesMarbles Posts: 49
    tybird wrote:
    Can't go wrong with Dwight Yoakam.
    Oh boy! <sigh>

How about looking up yallternative on some of the internet radio sites like shoutcast? There is some different country out there that is really cool. If you don't mind downer stuff, Hal Ketchum is really cool, and that man can hold a note bloody forever. He is considered TOO COUNTRY for country radio though. He really has talent though. DH hates country, and went to a HK concert with me, and was impressed with his voice. I took a cello player to a Terri Clark show, and she was impressed by the fiddle player, and the vocals.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    While listening to "americana" tag radio on Last FM I came across a band called The Dead String Brothers. The great thing is that you can listen to one of their albums in its entirety here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Deadstring+Brothers/Starving+Winter+Report

I'm a few songs in right now and it sounds pretty good.

Another one I came across is a band called American Gun. Haven't listened to them yet, but the description sounds promising. They also have a full album available at Last FM:

http://www.last.fm/music/American+Gun/Dark+Southern+Hearts

I'm pretty sure you don't need to create a Last FM account to listen, but I recommend doing so anyway. I can't get enough of this site.

Edit: Almost finished with the Deadstring Brothers; I've really enjoyed it. AND it turns out they just released a new album yesterday. Too bad I'm in no position to spend money on more music right now . . .