I'm quickly being pulled into the Strokes

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I don't know why it only happened recently, because I've had their albums for a while, but I'm really starting to dig the Strokes. I've always 'kinda' liked them, but they were never really the kind of music I listen to. But there was a thread about two weeks ago about the song You Only Live Once, and it got me listening to that song more, and I realized how friggin' awesome that song is. That lead to me listening to other songs, and now I'm on a Strokes kick.

Is This It is still not catching on with me though. Still, songs like Reptilia, Juicebox, On the Other Side, Vision of Division, etc. are great on the other two albums. The only problem with the Strokes in general is that they're inconsistent as hell. They can go from an amazing song to a terrible song right after it.

Anyways I tend to gravitate towards the catchier, hookier songs of theirs. Any other suggestions of those kinds of songs that I might not have noticed yet? Oh, and Julian Casablancas has an AMAZING voice.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    DOSW wrote:
    I don't know why it only happened recently, because I've had their albums for a while, but I'm really starting to dig the Strokes. I've always 'kinda' liked them, but they were never really the kind of music I listen to. But there was a thread about two weeks ago about the song You Only Live Once, and it got me listening to that song more, and I realized how friggin' awesome that song is. That lead to me listening to other songs, and now I'm on a Strokes kick.

Is This It is still not catching on with me though. Still, songs like Reptilia, Juicebox, On the Other Side, Vision of Division, etc. are great on the other two albums. The only problem with the Strokes in general is that they're inconsistent as hell. They can go from an amazing song to a terrible song right after it.

Anyways I tend to gravitate towards the catchier, hookier songs of theirs. Any other suggestions of those kinds of songs that I might not have noticed yet? Oh, and Julian Casablancas has an AMAZING voice.

I'm right there with you on this. I had the Strokes first two albums and "liked" them but never really got into them and then I was going through my itunes library the other day and listened to that You Only Live Once song which totally blew me away! It is so catchy and makes me wanna dance every time I hear it! Now I can't get enough of the strokes. :)
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • I think one thing that's compelling about The Strokes is the the further we get away from 2003 or whatever it was that they first arrived, the more when you go back and listen to their music, the more they feel bigger than their niche. I think they'll more than sustain the test of time. Also, if they can stay together, I bet one of their new albums goes huge again as people realize they never really stopped liking them.
  • Thats what happened with me, I was just like they are okay and then the more I listened, the more I got hooked. I still do think that Is This It (although still a great album) is a bit overrated. First Impressions of Earth is actually my favorite record by them, cant wait to see them the next time they tour.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    DOSW wrote:

What took you so long- great band!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'm getting into them now too. Quality band, I always liked them, but was never overly impressed. Saw them at Oxegen 2 years ago and they were very good though.
    Anyways, a few days ago a friend asked me to join a Strokes cover band with him in college, just for something to do really. Had our first practice yesterday (sans drummer and singer). It's given me a new appreciation for them. fucking deadly so they are.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I'm getting into them now too. Quality band, I always liked them, but was never overly impressed. Saw them at Oxegen 2 years ago and they were very good though.
    Anyways, a few days ago a friend asked me to join a Strokes cover band with him in college, just for something to do really. Had our first practice yesterday (sans drummer and singer). It's given me a new appreciation for them. fucking deadly so they are.

A Strokes cover band? They have only released 3 albums.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Sounds painful man, I hope you end up OK.

;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    A Strokes cover band? They have only released 3 albums.
    Couple of 20-30minute sets for maybe 2 gigs. I think we'll manage. It's just a bit of fun anyway. Got me playing again, and Got me listening to a great band.
    Couple of 20-30minute sets for maybe 2 gigs. I think we'll manage. It's just a bit of fun anyway. Got me playing again, and Got me listening to a great band.

You guys gonna dress up like them too?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

You guys gonna dress up like them too?
    Probably. It's a college event. Music society/fashion society venture. Sort of a battle of the (tribute) bands. We learn the songs and then the fashionistas help dress us all up. Not that it would be all that hard :p
    Probably. It's a college event. Music society/fashion society venture. Sort of a battle of the (tribute) bands. We learn the songs and then the fashionistas help dress us all up. Not that it would be all that hard :p

That would be pretty cool, good luck with that.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Strokes rock...seen them 3 times (One time they were openers for Tom Petty....sad, wasn't their crowd, but I thought it was awesome)

"12:51" always makes me want to chug some beer.

Always loved the "Hard to Explain" video
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I made this thread back in September back when I first started getting into them. Needless to say I'm a HUGE fan now... they're in my current top 5 for sure.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    I'd put them in my #5 in a list of favorites. Room On Fire is actually my favorite (especially Under Control), and First Impressions is just really frustrating because it has both the best and worst of the band. It stinks because a lot of people just throw them aside with all the other "The" bands (killers, Hives, Vines, etc, etc) and not give them a chance. They're pretty much brilliant and I'm really pumped to see what direction they're going with the next album.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB