Interpol

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited February 2008 in Other Music
...are absolutely brilliant. I've always really liked them, but recently I'm just getting more out of them for some reason. Their songs just kind of grip you and don't let go... it's the unique combo of restraint and power that makes it feel that way I think. Turn on the Bright Lights is my favorite, but Antics and Our Love to Admire are tied so far. I used to not really like Antics, but it's really grown on me. Evil is fantastic in particular.

Hope I see them live someday. What are some of your favorite songs? Mine are

OBSTACLE 1
Evil
Mammoth
The New
Public Pervert
Untitled from TotBL
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    turn on the bright lights is good, but the second album was a pretty big drop off and i never heard the third. the first song on antics is great though.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i thought they were predictable but good live when i saw them after their debut. i didn't like their second record as well but like their latest i've heard.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • I've got too many favorites to name, but go see them live! If the venue has good acoustics all the better!! Such a great band. I am partial to turn on the bright lights of course, but everything they put out is better than 90% of what else is out there.
    OBAMA BABY
  • I really like Turn on the Bright Lights. Antics and Our Love to Admire are just ok in my book. I caught their show at Lolla and wasn't all too impressed...you can tell they just didn't want to be there (and from the Spin cover article it doesn't sound like they do).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I really like Turn on the Bright Lights. Antics and Our Love to Admire are just ok in my book. I caught their show at Lolla and wasn't all too impressed...you can tell they just didn't want to be there (and from the Spin cover article it doesn't sound like they do).

that's what you get for choosing them over a real festival act like muse ;)

why didnt they want to be there? im still shocked that they were somehow a headliner. they are not THAT big.
  • i have recently got into them after hearing a song from the new album, i think that their music is good to chill out to or have in the background if your studying or something
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    I'd beg to wager that Interpol IS that popular, despite not having the radio and TV success of bands like Muse. Their first album is a masterpiece and the 2nd was a very good follow-up. But for how popular they still are, I understand they're def not everyone's bag. Some of my favorites include...

Not Even Jail
    Take You On A Cruise
    Pioneer
    PDA
    The New
    Stella
  • I love interpol, I've seen them 2x now and the last time I saw them was at the BG Civic Aud. in San Fran last year. The first time I heard anything at all from them was when I bought Antics, having only read about them in Rolling Stone. I loved it, bought TOTBL loved it. The new album isn't as solid as the previous 2, but there's some solid gems on there. This band is one that people either love or hate, I've yet to see someone say they're just ok. My favs are:

Pioneer to the Falls
    No I In Threesome
    Pace Is The Trick
    Stella Was A Diver
    Obsticle 1/2
    PDA
    Next Exit
    Narc
    Take You On A Cruise
    Not Even Jail

Oh and btw, I love how people are mentioning Muse on this thread because they're another one of my favs. I actually got to see them last year too at the same venue earlier in the year. If you haven't seen or gotten into them yet better late than never.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Funkdog wrote:
    I love interpol, I've seen them 2x now and the last time I saw them was at the BG Civic Aud. in San Fran last year. The first time I heard anything at all from them was when I bought Antics, having only read about them in Rolling Stone. I loved it, bought TOTBL loved it. The new album isn't as solid as the previous 2, but there's some solid gems on there.

I agree...the first 2 albums are amazing...the latest one has some really good stuff but feels like something is missing..still a pretty good album though. I saw them live and they were great.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I am a pretty big fan, TOTBL is one of my favorite albums of the decade, the other two are pretty good as well. Lately I have been listening to Editors alot more though, they put on a better show than Interpol as well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Oh man, The New kicks so much ass it's ridiculous. That detuned-sounding guitar part is badass!
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Have yet to get into them...we play the hell out of them at my station and gets tons of requests.

I still just think "blah" when I hear them.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • IDK.. I have Turn on the bright lights and our love to admire, Their instrumentals are really good... his voice is really good... its just that the songs really aren't winners at all... their so average... I think this band has amazing potential but their songs are so badly composed.
    IDK.. I have Turn on the bright lights and our love to admire, Their instrumentals are really good... his voice is really good... its just that the songs really aren't winners at all... their so average... I think this band has amazing potential but their songs are so badly composed.

Ugh, you're killing me. Their song structures aren't exactly complex but they're honed and used to perfection I think. But hell, to each their own.
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    They are wicked wild live, blows their studio shit away!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    definitely LOVE me some Interpol....TOTBL is easily their best work (probably one of the best debut albums EVER)

fav songs would have to be:

Obstacles #1
    The New
    NYC
    Leif Erikson
    NARC
    Slow Hands
    Pioneer To The Falls
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • that's what you get for choosing them over a real festival act like muse ;)

why didnt they want to be there? im still shocked that they were somehow a headliner. they are not THAT big.
    Haha, I don't think you want my opinion on Muse :)

Let's be honest though, at 5:30 my nuts got rocked by The Hold Steady...any band is going to be pitiful after that!

I was perfectly satisfied with leaving the park early during the headliners and kickin' back some Fat Tire in downtown Chicago.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    Oh shit, I think I have man-crush on Paul Banks...