Use Your Illusion

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2006 in Other Music
What does everyone think of these albums? Better than AFD? Any good at all?

I personally think they are very good overall, but songs range from laughably pathetic (Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Back Off Bitch) to absolutely incredible (Coma, Estranged). It's a shame that something with all-time-classic potential had to be marred by the crap that's on there. I enjoy it when Izzy or Duff sing... it's a good change of pace from Axl's screeching.

Thoughts?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    i have both of them on my hard drive at work. listen to them every week.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Get in the Rign is sooo laughably pathetic that it is awesome. I loove that song.

That said, this album suffers from the same problems as most double albums do. There's about one CDs worth of great stuff and another CD of filler/B-sides (I mean did they really need to include Don't Cry twice slightly different)
  • The first cassette I ever bought was Use Your Illusion II, and the first CD I bought was Use Your Illusion I. I think they are loaded with great songs, some of which are better than anything on Appetite. Appetite still wins though, because it flows better, and like you all are saying, UYI is kind of bloated.

Still great albums though. The Behind The Music special called it "an imperfect masterpiece", as opposed to Appetite being a perfect masterpiece I guess.
    Eric
  • this album suffers from the same problems as most double albums do. There's about one CDs worth of great stuff and another CD of filler/B-sides (I mean did they really need to include Don't Cry twice slightly different)

i agree. they could have(and should have) released one great album, even if it was 15 or 16 tracks long, it would have been much better. touring for 2 years straight and making 10 music videos for the albums didn't help. it just got blown out of proportion. november rain, estranged, and you could be mine are fucking classic, as well as the covers of live and let die and knockin' on heavens door. but ya, i loved these albums when they came out. guns were my first favorite band. appetite is killer, too. ;)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    they could have(and should have) released one great album, even if it was 15 or 16 tracks long,

Problem is I've never seen a list of 15 or 16 tracks from the Illusions that everyone can agree on. Some people think Perfect Crime and Right Next Door To Hell are great while I think Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged and Coma are the best. I do agree that My World and the second Don't Cry don't need to be on there though.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    DOSW wrote:
    What does everyone think of these albums? Better than AFD? Any good at all?

I personally think they are very good overall, but songs range from laughably pathetic (Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Back Off Bitch) to absolutely incredible (Coma, Estranged). It's a shame that something with all-time-classic potential had to be marred by the crap that's on there. I enjoy it when Izzy or Duff sing... it's a good change of pace from Axl's screeching.

Thoughts?

I like UYI 1 & 2 but there's a lot of shite on there. And Axl's voice is 50x more annoying on these albums. I don't get why he always has to blurt out some obscenity all the time to be "hardcore". His lyrics are shite too, he has some good ones, but in general I think he's a waste of space.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    I don't get why he always has to blurt out some obscenity all the time to be "hardcore". His lyrics are shite too, he has some good ones, but in general I think he's a waste of space.
    It's called metal, or more specifically hair-metal. That's what they do.
    It's called metal, or more specifically hair-metal. That's what they do.

It just annoys me when it overpowers excellent music. Or when he will sing a note for nearly 30 seconds at the end of a song...
  • holtz wrote:
    Problem is I've never seen a list of 15 or 16 tracks from the Illusions that everyone can agree on. Some people think Perfect Crime and Right Next Door To Hell are great while I think Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Estranged and Coma are the best. I do agree that My World and the second Don't Cry don't need to be on there though.

perfect crime is good. i don't care about right next door to hell. the 4 songs you chose are among the best. i would also throw in the garden, civil war, breakdown(prolly their most underrated song), november rain, dead horse, double talkin' jive, pretty tied up, you could be mine, don't cry, yesterdays, and bad apples. i like bad obsession, too. :D and then maybe the covers they did and a couple of the left over tracks could have been b-sides. oh ya, i just remembered 'you ain't the first'. i like that one too. but it could hae been a b-side, or thrown onto a lost dogs-like album years later. i just agree that double albums are too much. especially when you could use songs as b-sides or they could just play songs live to make concerts even more exciting.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    danny72688 wrote:
    Or when he will sing a note for nearly 30 seconds at the end of a song...
    Thats always been my biggest gripe with GnR...just end the damn song.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I can't help but like the alt lyrics don't cry on disc 2 better than the original. But as I look at both albums I think mine would be about even with tracks from both.

UYI
    1. live and let die
    2. you ain't the first
    3. back off bitch
    4. november rain
    5. the garden
    6. garden of eden
    7. don't damn me
    8. dead horse
    9. coma
    10. civil war
    11. 14 years
    12. yesterdays
    13. knockin on heavens door
    14. locomotive
    15. estranged
    16. you could be mine
    17. don't cry (alt lyrics)
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
    Poncier wrote:
    Thats always been my biggest gripe with GnR...just end the damn song.

Thank God I'm not alone. It fucks my song count up on my iPod because I can't bare to listen to it 'till the end.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Well, let's all make lists of what the best UYI 1-CD could be. Here's mine:

Dust N' Bones
    Live and Let Die
    You Ain't the First
    November Rain
    The Garden
    Don't Damn Me
    Dead Horse
    Coma
    Civil War
    14 Years
    Yesterdays
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    Breakdown
    Locomotive
    So Fine
    Estranged

They'd be on a different order on the CD, of course. But that's 16 tracks... definitely reasonable. It would be a damn long CD though... too bad I can't burn it myself.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    what's so civil about war anyway?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Nobody in Guns n' Roses past or present will ever top Appetite, end of story IMO.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Good double album...even though there are some crap songs I wouldn't wanna cut it to a single disc. I think being so used to listening to the tracks in the order they are, anything different just doesn't seem right. Its the same with The Wall for me.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    so we can only pick 16 songs eh? not in any order

Live in Let Die
    Don't Cry (Original)
    You Ain't the First
    Bad Obsession
    Double Talkin Jive
    November Rain
    The Garden
    Don't Damn Me
    Dead Horse
    Coma
    Civil War
    14 Years
    Yesterdays
    Breakdown
    Locomotive
    Estranged
    You Could Be Mine

ok so thats actually 17 but it was hard enough to cut it down this much
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    MCG wrote:
    Nobody in Guns n' Roses past or present will ever top Appetite, end of story IMO.

No shit!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • you guys are all idiots. the only shit song(s) on either disc is Shotgun Blues, my world, and maybe...bad apples. the rest is pure gold. axl is the man...gnr rule forever.

Best two albums ever made. period.
    Whats got the whole world faking?
    MCG wrote:

IMO other than Rocket Queen the best songs GNR ever did were on the Illusions.
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    upon further review I think I would pull off the 2 cover songs and add bad obsession and breakdown instead. See this could go on forever and everyone likes different songs from these albums, so I guess it's good they made 2. But even together they still don't top appetitie. and whoever said rocket queen and then all others hell yeah!! that's still to this day my fave guns song.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    great album, although i still perfer AFD, because appetite was a bad ass rock record with each song better than the other. However the Use Your Illusion albums had some great songs and some okay songs.. i guess it just depends on what style of music you perfer!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    holtz wrote:
    IMO other than Rocket Queen the best songs GNR ever did were on the Illusions.

what about welcome to the jungle or paradise city? Sure Use Your Illusion had some great songs but nothing on it could compare to the rock anthems on appetite for destruction!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    rollingstone.com was posting lists this week, trying to reduce well known double albuns to one disc only. here's what they did with Use your Illusion I & II.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/07/27/double-albums-that-could-be-single-discs-part-iv-guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-i-ii/

7/27/06, 11:50 am EST
    Double Albums That Could Be Single Discs, Part IV: Guns N’ Roses, “Use Your Illusion I + II”

All this week we’ve been editing down double albums that should have been single discs. Today’s project: Guns N’ Roses’ 1991 release Use Your Illusion, which was sold as two separate discs but was clearly one big album. (Oddly, this was debated at the time. The tipoff: calling the discs Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II.) Illusion was one of the longest albums ever put out by a major rock act: its total running time of about three hours even beat out famously excessive triple-disc efforts such as Sandinista! or All Things Must Pass.

But if Illusion had been shorter, could it have been the Great Lost Guns N’ Roses Album? Would the band have stayed together longer? Would the discarded tracks have been released as a passable Chinese Democracy a decade ago? We think so. Here’s our version of Use Your Illusion, the one that should have been:

1. Civil War
    2. Dust N’ Bones
    3. Bad Obsession
    4. Don’t Cry (Original)
    5. Right Next Door to Hell
    6. Bad Apples
    7. November Rain
    8. You Could Be Mine
    9. Yesterdays
    10. Pretty Tied Up
    11. Garden of Eden
    12. Estranged

(total running time: 65:37)

Geek note: Unlike our first three entries of this double album-editing project (The Beatles’ White Album, Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti, and Bruce Springsteen’s The River), we’re not dividing our Use Your Illusion playlist into sides, because vinyl albums had become pretty much vestigial by the early ’90s.
    -- Gavin Edwards
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    The last 90 seconds (?) of Rocket Queen are maybe the greatest music ever by anybody.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
    Rolling stone's version of UYI is lame IMO, other than Estranged they left off my favorites, Coma, BReakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me.
    The last 90 seconds (?) of Rocket Queen are maybe the greatest music ever by anybody.

I wanna take a gun to my head at the end of that song. It's sickening. ;) Love it otherwise.