Born To Run

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited November 2006 in Other Music
WOW. As an 18 year old male, I've always really admired Bruce Springsteen more than I actually liked his music. I mean, it was always enjoyable to pop on his first Greatest Hits CD and listen to a bunch of the songs on there, but I never really got into his work as a whole.

So lately I've gotten this urge to listen to amazing songwriting and take a breath of fresh air away from the heavy stuff that I normally listen to. I figured Bruce Springsteen would be as good a source as any for music like that. So I asked my dad for his copy of the remastered, 30th anniversary edition of Born to Run, transferred it to the ol' MP3 player, and... WOW.

After listening through only a couple of times, I see what all the hype was about over this album. It's short, but it flows better than any album I've listened to and there is not one song that I would skip. It doesn't feel 'dated' as much as it just sounds different... the piano and saxophone is definitely a left turn from the normal music I listen to. I don't know if it's possible for anyone to not feel something after Jungleland ends. The power to Bruce's voice is definitely one of the keys to music like this... like I doubt Born to Run (the song) would have the same kind of effect if anyone else had sung it.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give a listen to Darkness on the Edge of Town eventually, but I have to let Born to Run sink in fully before I do that. :)

Thoughts?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    DOSW wrote:
    WOW. As an 18 year old male, I've always really admired Bruce Springsteen more than I actually liked his music. I mean, it was always enjoyable to pop on his first Greatest Hits CD and listen to a bunch of the songs on there, but I never really got into his work as a whole.

So lately I've gotten this urge to listen to amazing songwriting and take a breath of fresh air away from the heavy stuff that I normally listen to. I figured Bruce Springsteen would be as good a source as any for music like that. So I asked my dad for his copy of the remastered, 30th anniversary edition of Born to Run, transferred it to the ol' MP3 player, and... WOW.

After listening through only a couple of times, I see what all the hype was about over this album. It's short, but it flows better than any album I've listened to and there is not one song that I would skip. It doesn't feel 'dated' as much as it just sounds different... the piano and saxophone is definitely a left turn from the normal music I listen to. I don't know if it's possible for anyone to not feel something after Jungleland ends. The power to Bruce's voice is definitely one of the keys to music like this... like I doubt Born to Run (the song) would have the same kind of effect if anyone else had sung it.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to give a listen to Darkness on the Edge of Town eventually, but I have to let Born to Run sink in fully before I do that. :)

Thoughts?

while youre at it, get your Dads 30th Anniv BTR package and gets your eyes on the Hammersmith Odeon concert DVD - and see just how much Bruce was the captain of the early e street ship . its amazing.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    while youre at it, get your Dads 30th Anniv BTR package and gets your eyes on the Hammersmith Odeon concert DVD - and see just how much Bruce was the captain of the early e street ship . its amazing.

Done. I'll watch it later tonight. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i was just gonna say that!!!!!!!
    i love that dvd, awsome
    that hat he wears in it is kinda gay tho
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    If you can I'd also try to get my hands on his newest DVD from The Rising Tour. This will give you a good overview of many of his albums up to this point. It also has an awesome version of Spirit in the Night on it which is one of my favorite songs. As far as albums go I think Born in the USA would be a smart choice after Born to Run and then look at Greetings From Asbury Park (a little more folky) and The Rising. I hope you like the rest of what you hear.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • Dude... yeah... Jungleland. Fuck. That song's just off the hook.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • get everything. start at the beginning and work your way forward.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Yeah... like every album he's pumped out is amazing... Born to Run might be my favorite though... I'm On Fire, fucking love that song.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Dooown....in....jungle.....LAAAAAANNNDD. ooohohaaaaaaah huuaaww.....

one of his best ever.
    Thoughts?

I think you should also listen to Greetings From Asbury Park NJ and Tunnel of Love.

Yeah and get that DVD they're talking about. I keep meaning to. I got to SEE him play like that in '78 back when he was doing close to 4 hour shows. I really don't know how his knees have held up all these years.

I have loved Bruce for 30 years. With the exception of some of Born in the USA his music is quite timeless.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Yeah... like every album he's pumped out is amazing... Born to Run might be my favorite though... I'm On Fire, fucking love that song.
    im pretty sure thats on born in the USA
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • too bad he had to do that embarrassing dancing in the dark video. anyone ever see adam sandler impersonate that on snl a few years ago?? classic! :D
    it is a good song though. and born in the usa is a banger!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    im pretty sure thats on born in the USA

Hahaha... the funny thing is... I was looking at the Born in the USA cd tracklist as I was typing it, but thought Born to Run. Yeah, my bad.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Boss is the boss for a good reason. He makes some great music.

I'll echo the vote for giving Nebraska a shot.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    I also think Nebraska is his best, but definitely check out The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. Simply amazing.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I love Born to Run. :)

As a whole, it's my favorite Springsteen record. (And, I say record 'cuz that's how I originally had it!!) :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I agree, Born to Run is a damn near perfect album. The DVD that comes with the 30th anniversary edition is defintiely worth seeing. Backstreets is one of my favorites, especially the live version on the DVD. Bruce really sings the shit out of it. The Live in New York album from the Rising tour is pretty damn good too.
    get everything. start at the beginning and work your way forward.

That's what I'm planning to do. Even though I didn't really start at the very beginning, I'm going to try and listen to the rest in chronological order for the most part, but maybe skip ahead if I want to hear his newer stuff.

And I watched that DVD last night... two thumbs up! The sound quality was great, especially considering the probably terrible quality of the original source material. I think Rosalita was the highlight, and I've never even heard that song before. I also liked when he crawled into that crack on stage near the beginning of the concert... that was priceless. "Where's my hat... where did I put my hat?" :D
    ntt117 wrote:
    If you can I'd also try to get my hands on his newest DVD from The Rising Tour. This will give you a good overview of many of his albums up to this point. It also has an awesome version of Spirit in the Night on it which is one of my favorite songs.

I think I might have seen most of that before on TV. Never watched it in it's entirety though.
  • I just very recently got into Springsteen, and Born to Run is my favourite song of his. It just sound full of hope, like two kids ready to take on the world. Me and some friends were listening to it on the way to the airport leaving for Vegas in September, and it made me feel so amazing.
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    after you watch the Hammersmith Odeon concert from the B2R 30th package,

make sure you check out the short film ( 1:27 ) " WINGS FOR WHEELS - The Making Of Born To Run "

brilliant splicing of 30 year old footage with present day footage-- take a spin with Bruce driving around his Longbranch, NJ stomping grounds -
    It shows the mans perfectionist attributes as well as his genius storytelling & lyric writing .
    Check out the bit about his famous " Tele "( esquire neck, tele body ) seen on the cover of B2R ,
    Amazing that the entire B2R album was written / composed at the Piano .
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    after you watch the Hammersmith Odeon concert from the B2R 30th package,

make sure you check out the short film ( 1:27 ) " WINGS FOR WHEELS - The Making Of Born To Run "

brilliant splicing of 30 year old footage with present day footage-- take a spin with Bruce driving around his Longbranch, NJ stomping grounds -
    It shows the mans perfectionist attributes as well as his genius storytelling & lyric writing .
    Check out the bit about his famous " Tele "( esquire neck, tele body ) seen on the cover of B2R ,
    Amazing that the entire B2R album was written / composed at the Piano .

I watched some of that last night, and I kind of half-watched the whole thing when my dad first bought the package. It was funny watching the people in other cars do double-takes when they glanced over to the car next to them. :D

I definitely want to see the part about the Tele though. I don't think I've seen that yet.
  • piaget77 wrote:
    I also think Nebraska is his best, but definitely check out The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. Simply amazing.

The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle is one of my favorite albums of all time, along with Born to Run. Check it out - nice diversity of songs, greak rockers and slow stuff. Kitty's Back is my favorite... (it's awesome live)
    coming up

MSG 1
    Ringo the next night in Boston
    Hartford
    Boston 1 & 2

hell's yeah...
    DOSW wrote:
    I definitely want to see the part about the Tele though. I don't think I've seen that yet.

he bought it in Belmar, for a hundred bucks ( i think )
    platessmall.jpg
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Born to Run is my favorite album of all time. The lyrics are stories and images I can understand. It is a GREAT favorite with every member of my family. If I can get my act together I would include "Candy's Room" on my myspace blog. There's a cool song for you. Sherry Darling is cute, too. Of course, can you forget the River:

is a dream a lie if it don't come true
    or is it something worse

oh he's so GOOD!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Bruce 1975 NYC

BruceNYC1975-1.jpg

Bruce Hammersmith Odeon - 1975

BruceLondonOdeon1975.jpg

E Street Band rehearsals NJ - 1975

EStreetBand1975NJ-1.jpg

Bruce & Bono 1975

Picturesfromdisc008.jpg

The Tele

Picturesfromdisc113.jpg

Bruce and Tele- VFC Rehearsals Wachovia Ctr Philly 2004

Picturesfromdisc006.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Born to Run is my favorite album of all time. The lyrics are stories and images I can understand. It is a GREAT favorite with every member of my family. If I can get my act together I would include "Candy's Room" on my myspace blog. There's a cool song for you. Sherry Darling is cute, too. Of course, can you forget the River:

is a dream a lie if it don't come true
    or is it something worse

oh he's so GOOD!

'candy's room' is my fave springsteen song.

and my question to bruce would be, 'what's worse than a lie?'
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    so much good bruce on youtube.

i know this isnt really Born To Run stuff-

but check this guitarwork out : ( theres that tele again )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pijURu9Qzrg
    platessmall.jpg
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    this thread is funny. i started listening to Springsteen (with Born To Run) when i was 18 also.. i'm 26 now. his first four albums are all essential:

Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ (w/ my favorite song Lost In The Flood)
    The Wild THe Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
    BTR
    Darkness (horrible production but incredible songs)

the River comes next but as a double album i feel it's very bloated and hit or miss. some of it is classic though

Nebraska is amazing.

USA is working class pop. some good stuff here but the synths are too much sometimes. production is dated.

Live 75-85 3 disc set. very very highly recommended

Tunnel of Love amazing. the divorce album.

Human Touch/Lucky Town. good songs but not my favorites

The Ghost of Tom Joad. very stark and depressing. not as good as Nebraska but a very well written album

Tracks. a 4 disc "Lost Dogs" boxset. first two discs are essential but the second two are hit/miss. beware of the cd 18 Tracks. it's an overview of this set. download the two songs not on Tracks, exclusive to this release "The Promise" (a sequel to Thunder Road) and "The Fever".

Live in NYC. recorded on the 99/00 Reunion Tour. some intresting stuff but get the DVD instead. more songs there.

The Rising. holds up well a few years later. lots of sha-la-las it seems though.

Devils & Dust. brilliant

We Shall Over Come. i love it.

if you dig a little (i mean a little) you can find some of Bruce's amazing unreleased stuff and there is a TON. most stuff pre Tunnel of Love is worth it, especially his solo acoustic stuff from the early 70s. get "If I Was The Priest", that's the song that impressed John Hammond enough to sign him to Columbia. it just drips w/ Catholic guilt, Bruce solo at a piano. stunning. hope this post helped or sparked some interest.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Born to Run is probably the single greatest rock record in history. That is that, afterwards get Darkness it's the logical extension of Born to run, both thematically and chronologically. while most of his 80s stuff is good Born in teh USA and some of teh river does sound a little dated now, but Born to Run is timeless, beautiful and about to played in my house.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Who likes 'The Fever'? I can't remember if it ended up on an album or not, but that track used to float around Houston radio all the time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Born to Run was my first Springsteen cd and I loved it.

Bruce is good shit
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...