Here it is... a BON JOVI thread

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Look, I know the opinion of Bon Jovi here. But I just gotta say it. They have some really really good songs. Their stuff from the 90's is fantastic. Keep the Faith and These Days are great albums with very few duds.

I'll admit that their "You Give Love A Bad Name" stuff is crap. I'll admit that their stuff post-2000 is mostly shameless, dumb pop shit. But in the 90's, they had some really good stuff. There's really some fantastic songwriting in there too.

I encourage you guys to listen to these songs... if you hear them and decide they suck, then so be it. But try to ease down on the criticism until you've heard them: :D

Dry County
Something for the Pain
Keep the Faith
Little Bit of Soul
Blame It on the Love of Rock & Roll (yes, I know... the title sounds atrocious, but the song is just plain fun in a throwback kind of way)
Right Side of Wrong
My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms

Alright, I'm ready.... bring on the flames! :D
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Any good Bon Jovi songs are ignored by the band.

Ones you mentioned, add Two Story Town & Next 100 Years.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Runaway still kicks ass. Especially the falsetto at the end.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    These Days is a very good album.....

the rest is not for me.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    First off, I support this thread. I have a soft spot for this band.

Second though, I find it interesting that people will defend a CD or two and then dismiss the rest. I don't see how they varied their formula all that much.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    transplant wrote:
    I don't see how they varied their formula all that much.

To me These Days just has a completely different feel to everything else they've done, its more raw, less poppy, more introspective and real......and has some really well written songs.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I'll defend Bon Jovi as often as necessary, especially the songs DOSW mentioned. I've been listening to Little Bit of Soul pretty much non-stop these last few days. And I'd throw These Days (the song) into the mix too, especially now that Richie is taking lead vocals.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    transplant wrote:
    First off, I support this thread. I have a soft spot for this band.

Second though, I find it interesting that people will defend a CD or two and then dismiss the rest. I don't see how they varied their formula all that much.

Well, New Jersey has some good songs on there (i.e. Ride Cowboy Ride) but it sounds pretty dated. I'm not a fan of the rest of their 80's stuff. To me, their post-2000 stuff is pretty lame most of the time, with a few exceptions of course. I really like that new Lost Highway song though... it's poppy, but it's a great feel-good tune.

And yeah, Little Bit of Soul is great. It has such a loose, bluesy, kind of Stonesy feel to it.

Think I gotta dig out Crush again next time I'm home. I remember Two Story Town was pretty good a couple years ago when I was a big fan.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Think I gotta dig out Crush again next time I'm home. I remember Two Story Town was pretty good a couple years ago when I was a big fan.

I always found Two Story Town to be a bit of a rip off of "What If God Was One Of Us". Maybe I'm crazy.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    There's also some really good solo stuff from Jon. Destination Anywhere, Little City, and August 7 are great. Even Janie Don't You Take Your Love to Town is good in a fun sort of way.

Not to mention Stranger in This Town from Richie Sambora, which is also a great song.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Saw them once in concert, they sounded good and had alot of energy but they were still really lame.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    One word...sellouts! And this is coming from an someone that used to be a huge fan.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • I agree, what happened to the Dylan like integrity of "Runaway"?
    One word...sellouts! And this is coming from an someone that used to be a huge fan.
    I agree, what happened to the Dylan like integrity of "Runaway"?

Many reasons I call them or should I say "him" that but the biggest is their ticket prices are f*ckin' outrageous. In my eyes they have not earned the right to charge more than an artist like Springstein. But I guess there are fools that will pay it. Not me though... :mad:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Yeah, I guess you're right. That shit is getting so outrageous.
    Many reasons I call them or should I say "him" that but the biggest is their ticket prices are f*ckin' outrageous. In my eyes they have not earned the right to charge more than an artist like Springstein. But I guess there are fools that will pay it. Not me though... :mad:
    Yeah, I guess you're right. That shit is getting so outrageous.

They are playing here in the 'Burgh on Wednesday nite so just for shits and giggles I checked for tickets. Found great seats...$150 total per. I basically got the same seats to see Ed in Santa Cruz for 1/2 the price. And I guarantee Ed's show will be much better!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!