Thinking of diving into the Black Crowes

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2007 in Other Music
For those of you who are big Black Crowes fans, where do you suggest I start? I usually prefer to start at the beginning of a band's career so I experience the evolution of it's sound when I buy later albums, but if the BC's debut isn't anything spectacular, then it's kinda pointless.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, should I start from the beginning or pick up an album from another point in their career first?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    southern harmony or amorica. those are their best 2 albums. though the first one, shake your moneymaker, has most of their most popular songs, so that might be a good start. their later albums, while good, are kinda inconsistent at times. though their last did have one of the best songs ever: soul singing.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Southern Harmony has been kicking my ass lately, so I nominate that.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Southern Harmony has been kicking my ass lately, so I nominate that.

I completely agree. Definitely their best and is one of the best records you can possibly buy.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Trailer wrote:
    I completely agree. Definitely their best and is one of the best records you can possibly buy.
    I bought it on the weekend.

Don't know WHY it took me so long.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I bought it on the weekend.

Don't know WHY it took me so long.

Well, it's never too late to go back to school. You got a lot of homework to catch up on :D "My Morning Song" is my personal fave.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    DOSW wrote:
    For those of you who are big Black Crowes fans, where do you suggest I start? I usually prefer to start at the beginning of a band's career so I experience the evolution of it's sound when I buy later albums, but if the BC's debut isn't anything spectacular, then it's kinda pointless.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, should I start from the beginning or pick up an album from another point in their career first?
    hmm...listen to because of time from kings of leon
  • Shake Your Money Maker is one of my absolute favorite albums ever, so that, coupled with the fact that it's their debut suggests that you should get that one first. Although, you really can't go wrong with Southern Harmony, really (or By Your Side for that matter).
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Southern Harmony and Amorica are musts.

Shake Your Money Maker is the album with the most singles that still get played on the radio.

Three Snakes And One Charm is a great disc, but it isnt very easily digested.

By Your Side was brought about by record company pressure. The label pushed for a SYMM like album. One famous quote by the producer is "You guys need to write like you were 17 again." There are some decent cuts in there, but as a whole it seems forced and doesn't fit with the evolution that occured between Southern Harmony and Amorica.

Lions is really inconsistent. The band was on the verge of splitting up at the time. Chris wasn't into it, the band membership was in flux, and it was just a bad vibe. For every Soul Singing or Greasy Grass River you get crap like Ozone Mama.

Lost Crowes is a great collection of two unreleased albums. The first, Tall, is a precusor to Amorica. Some alternate takes as well as some amazing songs that were shelved. Feathers and Tied Up And Swallowed are both amazing songs, that still get featured in live sets. Thunderstorm 6:54, Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz, and Dirty Hair Halo are also pretty cool tunes.

The second unreleased album in Lost Crowes, Band, would have been a follow up to Three Snakes. It's more accessable than Three Snakes, but is a more natural follow up than BYS. Another Roadside Tragedy, Paint An 8, Wyoming & Me, and Peace Anyway are all classic tunes.

PM me your address and I can send you some live recordings.
  • The Vacant wrote:
    live recordings.

A great live band. Check out some of the tapes if you can.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    if you start with the first album, you will see what they are all about... FANTASTIC all around album...Southern Harmony was a more soulful continuation...

I am going to see them this summer at NY Central Park Summerstage....
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The first album is not a bad starting point, and it has some great tunes, but Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is by far their best. It's one of the best rock records ever. Amorica is great but more experimental. Their later stuff is solid, but doesn't have the same fire their early work did. I agree that the Lost Crowes 2 disc set is awesome, but I wouldn't start there. Freak n Roll Into The Fog is a great live album as well.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dont know too much Black Crows, butI saw them live last summer and it was an outstanding show. After the show I tracked down their DVD, and that is a great watch too. There is this intrumental tune on there set to a montage of them traveling...sweet!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    then dive in deep

they are awesome... saw them live in 06 over here in England. Put on a really good show :)
  • eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    Gotta agree with most people here. Southern Harmony and Amorica are the ones for a beginner to go for. And yes Southern harmony is the greatest rock record made imo. And if ya fancy some more live discs of them pm me too. Its what their all about....
    " I demand to have more booze "
    Anyone heard the bootleg Foamfoot: Crowes from the Closet?
    http://www.frayed.org/crowes/related/foamfoot.html

It's one of my favorite discs!! You can find it online through various torrent sites. It's all covers but they blow them away... David Crosby even comes out to sing an amazing Long Time Gone!! It's not the whole Crowes, but Marc Ford definitely holds his own.
  • eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    Trailer wrote:

It's one of my favorite discs!! You can find it online through various torrent sites. It's all covers but they blow them away... David Crosby even comes out to sing an amazing Long Time Gone!! It's not the whole Crowes, but Marc Ford definitely holds his own.

Ya got "Sweet Pickle Salad"????
    If not pm me, ya have to have it. Only 5 tunes i think, but still unreal. Yep foamfoot is the biz
    " I demand to have more booze "
  • Trailer wrote:

"Holds his own"? The guy blows the entire song list out of the water. No one plays like Ford. The best kept secret in the last 15 years for lead guitar playing.

Start at the beginning with SYMM and on to the Lost Crowes. This should help you see the evolution. I feel bad for rock music fans who missed this or continue to miss it.

I'll be happy to send someone a package of material, as long as they spread it here.

The Southern Harmony and Amorica records are great. More than great. 3 Snakes is like No Code.

The Crowes material that they did not release is every bit as good as any PJ unreleased material. Not to mention, Rich Robinson and Marc Ford are better chemists than Gossard and McCready.

Sorry, but it's true. I love Stone and Mike, but they aren't Rich and Marc.

Any live thing the Crowes released professionally does not do them justice. Trust me on that.
  • I had Southern Harmony on the computer right when I dipped into this thread. So great, still has so much power and energy after all this time.

It's a great time to get into them, never too late to discover someone whose music you can still appreciate live. I'm perturbed I missed out Central Park 'cause I had to work, but I'm glad I watch Letterman cause I got to see Chris and Rich work their magic and a gentle reminder to get the Crowes on to my own mp3.

I saw my first Crowes show in 93! Before my first PJ show even.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Get Sho'Nuff. Has their first 4 albums plus a live sampler. I got the best music deal ever. Only 20 bucks. It usually runs about35 but it seems like bestbuy has it quite often

After that get every thing that has come out since. Youll like their hits, then you'll find a few off the beaten path, then you will struggle to find a song you dislike. They are truly one of the few bands with so little disposable music.

Oh Yeah, get Brothers Of A Feather. Just him and Rich but its downright frightening to think of the two splitting up again when you listen to it.
  • You can also check them out playng with Jimmy Page on youtube. Pretty sweet.

I have seriously overdosed on Lost Crowes and BYS the last 12 months.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    I second the Sho Nuff suggestion!!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Dive in man. You won't regret it. And don't miss them when they come to your town.

Southern Harmony is a perfect record. Amorica is right there with it. That combination of Ballad in Urgency followed by Wiser Time = sonic bliss. I love this band.

And, whatever you do, find Live at the Greek with Jimmy Page. Holy shit.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • You guys are all spot on, LONG LIVE THE BLACK CROWES!!!!!!!!

Apparently their new album is in the can & due next spring, I can`t wait, they are the best touring band I know going right now, & I`m a PJ nut...........

Do yourself a favor like the other people said & just start with Sho `Nuff.......then get all the live stuff you can.........
    No one is ever gonna find ya, if you don`t get yourself lost...........
  • just got tix to the united palace in NYC ... place looks sick.

After a bunch of tries and refreshes, i got Row DD (which is the 4th row).
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I second the Sho Nuff suggestion!!

didnt they remaster the albums for this? is the difference noticeable? i usually cant tell, but i have to admit there are times i listen to moneymaker and the sound is so thin... maybe i should grab it.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Yes, the albums were remasted for Sho' Nuff and two bonus tracks were added to each album. Plus there is a fun little EP of tracks from the '95 Beacon run.
  • just got tix to the united palace in NYC ... place looks sick.

After a bunch of tries and refreshes, i got Row DD (which is the 4th row).

I'm GG with my first attempt. Not bad.
  • You guys got really goods tickets for NYC considering how quickly they went.

I got 8th row Rich's side for Cincinnati, 6th row Paul's side for Louisville and first row Rich's side for Asheville. Hoping to hear Paint an Eight, A Conspiracy, Sunflower, Ballad>Wiser Time, Good Friday, Horsehead, Evil Eye (Lost Crowes version), and a few Stones covers during this 3 show run.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Just saw the San Francisco Fillmore Theater performance on Music HD channel tonight. Just "wow". That's all I have to say.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • pipedreams wrote:
    You guys got really goods tickets for NYC considering how quickly they went.

I got 8th row Rich's side for Cincinnati, 6th row Paul's side for Louisville and first row Rich's side for Asheville. Hoping to hear Paint an Eight, A Conspiracy, Sunflower, Ballad>Wiser Time, Good Friday, Horsehead, Evil Eye (Lost Crowes version), and a few Stones covers during this 3 show run.

Nice work!