Favorite little-known Neil Young song(s)?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Mine would have to be Motion Pictures. Simply beautiful.... it's calm, soothing, but hauntingly empty at the same time. Lyrics are fantastic, and the chord progression is so simple that it makes me wonder why it's so good.

Great song. What's yours?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambulance blues sums up an entire era. brilliant song
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Not sure how unknown these are but:

Ambulance Blues
    Ordinary People
    Mellow My Mind
    Thrasher

Four great songs that maybe not as many people who are just casual radio fans would know.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    SHOTS

Southern Pacific

No More

Don't Let It Bring You Down
    Another nice litlte number is Greensleeves. He has only played it live (never on an album)twice to my knowledge in 74 and then again at bridge in 91.

It is an old traditional song but he changes and add's lyrics. Obviously his inspiration for the song heart of gold (those lyrics appear in the song)

It is not great but a very nice acoustic song.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    out of control
    from 'silver and gold' live dvd
    NOT the version on CSNY's album.
    amazing amazing amazing.
    New Mama
    Old Laughing Lady

The guy has tons of little gems that get lost over the years.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Stringman (from the unreleased Chrome Dreams originally, also on Unplugged)

Feel Your Love (CSNY/American Dream) - Neil did a great version of this on the 2003 solo euro tour.

I'm The Ocean - One of those great stream-of-conciousness Neil songs with a great groove.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • when your lonely heart breaks, especially the live version from the 97 live album...pure awesomeness!
    Drunken Butterfly
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Hippie Dream

Let's Roll
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Change Your Mind" from Sleeps with Angels or Cortez the Killer, which probably doesn't qualify as "little known."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'Ambulance Blues'

......or 'Borrowed Tune'
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    'Lookin For A Love' and 'Natural Beauty'.Not sure how little or how much they are known.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    i would go with "when your lonely heart breaks" also - but i'd have to say one of these upcoming releases may pass that one over witha superb rare gem!
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    intodeep wrote:

Thrasher

That would be my pick too....
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Carlos D wrote:
    'Lookin For A Love' and 'Natural Beauty'.Not sure how little or how much they are known.

Oh yeah, Natural Beauty is amazing. I'm always in the minority for saying this, but this is by far the best song on Harvest Moon.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • motion pictures (for carrie)
    little wing
    natural beauty
    campaigner
    revolution blues

just to name a few
    saw things so much clearer
  • ambulance blues sums up an entire era. brilliant song
    Definitely one of my favourite Neil Young songs.
  • Ambulance Blues & I'm the Ocean are probably my favorite NY songs period.

I am a big fan of "Oh Lonesome Me" from After the Gold Rush.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Razor Love

its from one of his newer acoustic albums......if you've never heard it, drop what your doing and go download it NOW!

awesome song to play while you're falling asleep......or driving in your car in the snow
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young