***Official name your muses thread***

bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
edited February 2007 in Other Music
We always talk about bands that inspire us (I love you so much PJ), but we often overlook those females in music that inspire us. Our muses.

Being a male, I have to say that one of the things that make me go absolutely nuts over a girl is their musicianship. I simply fall in love.

My all time top muses are:

* Alanis Morissette
* Sarah McLachlan
* Norah Jones, and
* Stephanie Ashworth (bassist of Something For Kate)

So, who are your muses?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Neko Case
    Cock Fight.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Lisa Gerrard
    Natasha schneider
    Vienna Teng
    Tori Amos
    Kate Bush
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    so many to choose from. Billie Holiday will always be tops in my book. Lately it's been women like Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Karen O, Cat Power, Feist, A Girl Called Eddy, Jolie Holland. But it still includes the 2 Kim's (Gordon and Deal), Kristin Hersh, Aretha Franklin, , Diana Ross, Patti Smith, Wendy O. Williams, Kat Bjelland (sp), Katherine Hannah, etc., etc.
    Live Free or Die!
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Fiona Apple

Liz Phair

Nina Gordon (when she was in Veruca Salt)

Madonna (no, seriously, she's made some great music and I like how she's always been provocative, although I lost some respect for her when she kissed Britney)

I'll also second Diana Ross, and throw in The Ronettes.

Sleater-Kinney will always be a huge influence for me.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Duff_ManDuff_Man Posts: 150
    Kim Gordon (sonic youth), great artist in a great band

plus women who play guitar turn me on :)
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    Duff_Man wrote:
    Kim Gordon (sonic youth), great artist in a great band

plus women who play guitar turn me on :)

A girl playing a good guitar solo is sexier than a supermodel wearing a G-string
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Beth Gibbons. The greatest voice in the history of mankind. I really cant describe her voice in a way that will do it justice. I am in love with her.
  • taratara Posts: 293
    bee_boy wrote:
    A girl playing a good guitar solo is sexier than a supermodel wearing a G-string

now you know how we feel about, well, pretty much most singers, and ed in particular.
    here are my muses:

ed: i got home from the may 10/06 show and imediately sat down with my journal and started writting poetry, and some of it wasn't terrible, he made me want to write again, something that i hadn't done since july 2004.

lawrence ferlenghetti and allen ginsberg (no one said they had to be sexy): they help me with my style, and ginsberg pushes me to realize that everything is beautiful, and nothing is disgusting.

jerry cantrell, he can rock, sing, and he's hot

JIMMY!! i think that i have an orgasm every time the star spangled banner/purple haze/improve from woodstock comes on, which can be mildly inconvenient cause sometimes i'm on the subway

sometimes ben harper, when i'm in the mood for more mellow

and the girls from sleater kinney, who made me realize that girls can rock too
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Emmylou Harris
    Kim Gordon
    Juliana Hatfield
    The Ronnetes
    The Supremes
    Liz Phair (early stuff)
    PJ Harvey
    Bettie Servert
    Tory Amos

many many more

You go girls!
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • tara wrote:
    JIMMY!! i think that i have an orgasm every time the star spangled banner/purple haze/improve from woodstock comes on, which can be mildly inconvenient cause sometimes i'm on the subway
    :eek: don't misspell Jimi!!:D;)
    tara wrote:

*brushes dust off guitar* :D
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    tara wrote:

Let's say that when I get to that point I don't restrain... even if I'm in a public place...

***People look at Mariano in shock***
  • Diamanda Galas
    Sinead O' Connor
    Bjork
    Tori Amos
    Nina Gordon
    I'll cut you in.
  • Gillian Welch - hands down

&
    Lucinda Williams
    Cat Power
    Emmylou

& Mary McCarthy - who song's on the most recent Bonnie 'Prince' Billy album has a voice so beautiful it goes straight to the soul I didn't even know I had.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Ani Difranco
    Tori Amos

thats about it. my muses are always girls I actually know.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Sade

and in case your wondering, I'm DEAD serious
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• taratara Posts: 293
    :eek: don't misspell Jimi!!:D;)

you can't see it right now, but i'm redder than hell, i'm so embarassed, i must have been thinking of jimmy page, the mis-spelling doesn't mean i'm less of a fan though
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • ani difranco,

sleater kinney

kathleen hanna/ Bikini Kill/Le Tigre

Cat Power

Lisa Hannigan

amy millan

tori amos

anyone who is out there trying to speak their mind as they see it.
  • amy ray
    I can't believe all of this talk about muses and not one mention of

Throwing Muses

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    tara wrote:

lawrence ferlenghetti and allen ginsberg (no one said they had to be sexy): they help me with my style, and ginsberg pushes me to realize that everything is beautiful, and nothing is disgusting.
    That has really got me thinking. being a straight guy, I wouldn't consider Ferlinghetti or Ginsberg a muse, because I think there has to be a quasi-sexual attraction to some degree, but they are my greatest inspirations for my writing and my reason for loving Ginsberg is the exact same as yours. I don't think I've ever connected to another person's mind like I did with Ginsberg when I read Howl.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Mary McCarthy - who song's on the most recent Bonnie 'Prince' Billy album has a voice so beautiful it goes straight to the soul I didn't even know I had.

Yes.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I can't believe all of this talk about muses and not one mention of

Throwing Muses

True, I love Tanya Donnelly. Belly had some great tunes.