My Morning Jacket help...

COJammerCOJammer Posts: 19
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I want to get familiar with MMJ before Lolla and need some help as to where to start. I like to know/have heard songs I hear at concerts and I assume they will be playing alot of their new album. But beyond that, what albums/songs should I check out.
Thanks in advance and we'll see you all at Grant Park!

Can't wait!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• at dawn is their best album, then it still moves
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    you need to hear 'Z'
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • download a show or 2
    http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creator%3A%22My%20Morning%20Jacket%22&sort=-date

and then go get the 2 albums mentioned above and you should be good to go.
  • It Still Moves is a MAsterpiece.

to get familiar with Z, listen to WOrdless chorus, It Beats 4U, Dodante, Off the Record, Lay Low,Anytime
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    get okonokos, its one of the best lived albums i've heard in ages
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Archive.org is the way to go. The 12/31/06 show is from a broadcast. Great sound and a stellar performance. You can stream it or download it. I'd suggest checking out some live shows first, and then picking up some discs if you like what you hear.

As far as the studio stuff goes, be sure to track down O Is The One That Is Real. It's a non-album rocker that smokes. Their cover of the Band's It Makes No Difference is another amazing track. Although they don't seem to play that one as much any more.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    okonokos is a good way to get into them
    Z is also an amazing album
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Z is easily my favorite album by them and it's their most accessible. It Still Moves is also awesome. Okonokos is another great introduction since it's most of their best songs played live and really well I might add.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Okonokos!
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    at dawn is their best album and personally it's my favorite album ever made. an absolute masterpiece. anyway they will probably play a lot from z and it still moves. like many have said before me, okonokos would be a great start to get you familiar with them for the show.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I love MMJ. It Still Moves and Z are my favourites.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• jocelynjocelyn Posts: 67
    I bought Z first, saw MMJ open for 4 shows last summer and ended up with all the albums and a deep love for the band.

It Still Moves is really amazing and my personal fave. Okonos is great to get once you've heard some of the others, but a word of warning....

You know how Pearl Jam speeds up all their songs live? MMJ = total opposite depending on Jim's mood. Very odd and cool in a way.
    "I can only be as good as you'll let me."