Options

the who

prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
edited September 2006 in Other Music
myself and 2 friends have just got tickets for the who at the garden new york. We are on flying over from the uk just wanted to ask what the venue is like. Cant wait going to see a legendary band in a legendary arena, what a would'nt give for mr vedder to join them for a number on stage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Have a GREAT time! I can't wait till the Philly show! TUESDAY!!!:D:D:D I know they'll do well, just need to practice patience..lol
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Have a GREAT time! I can't wait till the Philly show! TUESDAY!!!:D:D:D I know they'll do well, just need to practice patience..lol

patience is like bread, there ain't no mo'...... have a wonderful time!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    i hate to burst the bubble on the "legendary" MSG,but it's just your ordinary sports arena ... it's not even a really "nice" arena ... but it's fun to say you've seen shows there, for sure.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    for everyone going to the who, tonite, what else can i say? rock the f*** out. that means YOU PureandEasy, i have no doubt...

hey i rhymed ;)
  • Options
    Greetings to everyone going to the show tonight. I'm a little jealous, but oh well. Give my love to the boys ...
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I can't wait to see them one week from today at MSG!!!! :D:D
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Finally its here! And sooo glad it is! I can't wait to see them, who's goin? :D
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    Finally its here! And sooo glad it is! I can't wait to see them, who's goin? :D

well... where's the review? ;)
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    if anyone went tonight please let me know what i missed on another shitty birthday!
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    inmyrvm wrote:
    if anyone went tonight please let me know what i missed on another shitty birthday!

happy b-day! i am sorry it's been shitty!

here's a toast to you.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Tonight's show was fucking amazing. :) I still can't wipe the grin off my face. Pete Townsend is incredible live. It can't be said enough.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Tonight's show was fucking amazing. :) I still can't wipe the grin off my face. Pete Townsend is incredible live. It can't be said enough.

and you can't tell me enough! what tunes did they do?
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    what was the setlist? i saw some of the songs, and of course they played my favorite song of their's, the seeker!!!! i'm so mad i couldn't get anyone to go with me!
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Solat13 wrote:

Agreed.. a fucking amazing show and what a sight to see live again. A wonderful night even though the old bastards behind us wanted us to sit down during the new songs... told him I came here to stand and sing and enjoy every minute of the show not sit on my hands.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i had to drag this in here too,..

last time i went to see The Who ( actually the last concert i went to out there ) my buddy got arrested for rolling a joint in his car .
    Needless to say , kind of put a damper on the show .

This place has really gone downhill, fast, in the last few years.
    No beer sales, they keep building up the upper sections ( skyscraper proportions ) - whatever intimacey they once had out there has long been gone.

Filthy scumbags that Clear Channel Entertainment are- i think tommy hilfigers name is attached to the venue now , which once was Miller Genuine Draft sponsored.( when they sold beer )

Funny its called Jones Beach- you arent even allowed to throw down a blanket and lay on the sand anymore.

lots and lots of undercover cops , and people that ask you to sit down at the concert- they cant see. Oh yeah and finally - the 1 hour wait to get out of the parking lots .

enjoy the show

please Pearl Jam, stay far away from Jones Beach .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

if i was there.. i would have passed out during amazing journey and sparks. two of my faves off tommy...

;)
  • Options

Admin

• Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i had to drag this in here too,..

last time i went to see The Who ( actually the last concert i went to out there ) my buddy got arrested for rolling a joint in his car .
    Needless to say , kind of put a damper on the show .

This place has really gone downhill, fast, in the last few years.
    No beer sales, they keep building up the upper sections ( skyscraper proportions ) - whatever intimacey they once had out there has long been gone.

Filthy scumbags that Clear Channel Entertainment are- i think tommy hilfigers name is attached to the venue now , which once was Miller Genuine Draft sponsored.( when they sold beer )

Funny its called Jones Beach- you arent even allowed to throw down a blanket and lay on the sand anymore.

lots and lots of undercover cops , and people that ask you to sit down at the concert- they cant see. Oh yeah and finally - the 1 hour wait to get out of the parking lots .

enjoy the show

please Pearl Jam, stay far away from Jones Beach .
    totally agree jones beach sucks sucks sucks would never go back to any shows man i hate that venue and yes please pearl jam never play here again and i live 20 minutes from this suck ass place.....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Alright, so I saw The Who last night...and I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY! The setlist was amazing, looooved the material they played, the music off the new album is brilliant, and the energy, dear lord, it was unbelievable! The crowd was loud as hell, singing everything, dancing, etc. it was truly wonderful. Many of the songs they played I never would have dreamed of being able to experience live. Let alone ever seizing the opportunity in general!! Townsend was absolutely impeccable and just blew me away with his energy and his playing!! And Daltrey was definitely in a great mood and sang wonderfully, they really..my god it was just so incredible. The next time they come back is on my birthday and i'm contemplating whether to go or not..hehe! I probably will after the phenomenal performance they put on last night! But really, it was such a great night and the only thing that made me really wonder was the fact they played nothing from Quadrophenia which is my favorite Who album, but the show still held all its magic. I say to anyone that has the opportunity to do so, to GO!!!! It is absolutely worth the time and money and MORE! Beautiful show all around!

LONG LIVE THE WHO!!!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    I also need to mention it some more. The fans just truly blew me away. Especially with all the Jammers present! jeeez! I recognized many a face actually, and they really made the night complete. PJ fans and Who fans together as one as always, I swear beautiful crowd with wonderful attitudes towards the other fans as well. Soooo glad to see that! So much will always be owed to the fans. :)
  • Options
    Oh I love the who!!! I hope they come here!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • Options
    The Who on Letterman tommorrow night.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    The Who on Letterman tommorrow night.

wow!!! thanks for the info!!! I'll check it out
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i hate to burst the bubble on the "legendary" MSG,but it's just your ordinary sports arena ... it's not even a really "nice" arena ... but it's fun to say you've seen shows there, for sure.

:D

the garden is a dump. a toilet.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    good, i'll shove it up my dad's ass when it comes for not going!

• Options
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/baba_onasty_entertainment_dan_aquilante.htm

BABA O'NASTY

'WHO THE F - - - ARE YOU?'
    PETE ASKS FANS

By DAN AQUILANTE

September 18, 2006 -- THE WHO The Who play tonight and tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden.

AT The Who's Jones Beach warm-up concert last week for tonight and tomorrow's highly anticipated Madison Square Garden gigs, Pete Townshend was his own worst enemy.

At Wednesday's show, the second performance on the band's first world tour in more than 20 years, Townshend came off as a grumpy old man who doesn't like the fans who adore him. The sourpuss guitarist unhappily and unnecessarily pouted his way through the 21/2-hour gig with sarcastic between-song patter that attacked his bandmate Roger Daltrey, the fans and even his own new music.

After a seemingly flawless rendition of "Baba O'Riley" that concluded with Daltrey blowing a mean blues harp, Townshend judged the rendition worthy of a "Jewish wedding." Whatever that meant, it drew a burning glare from Daltrey, and the tension in the air made drummer Zak Starkey go rigid behind his drum kit.

Later, Townshend diluted his acid with just a hint of humor, calling Daltrey "a rock 'n' roll casualty" just before the band launched the Elvis homage called "Real Good Looking Boy" that references the King's "Can't Help Falling in Love."

Then there was the introduction to "Who Are You?" in which Townshend mused about what it means to be a rock star and, in the final breaths before launching the tune, spat unexpectedly at the crowd, "Who the f - - - are you?"

He didn't have to be that way with the sold-out Long Island house. He was playing and singing well, as evident in the charging opening quartet of "I Can't Explain," "The Seeker," "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and "Baba O'Riley," during which the house turned choir for Daltrey singing the famous lyric: "It's only teenage wasteland."

Behind wraparound shades and slightly slurred elocution, the real problem with Townshend was the weight of the giant chip on the shoulder that made him defensive and timid about the new song from the band's upcoming "Endless Wire" album, their first since 1982.

No doubt songs such as "My Generation," "Won't Get Fooled Again," "Substitute" and "Behind Blue Eyes" got a hotter reception than the fresh "Black Widow," "Fragments" (said to be composed on computer) and the pope-bashing ode "Man in the Purple Dress," but any rocker who has been around for a second album, let alone 40 years, understands fans' devotion to the hits.

As for the quality of those new tunes, Townshend shouldn't have had a concern. They were pretty good, and given a tour's worth of live performance, the gems will certainly emerge from the set.

Both Daltrey and Starkey were very instrumental in making "Purple Dress" - a folky, barroom ballad - one of the more welcome of the newcomers. On that one, Starkey was outstanding, giving the piece an unusual military tattoo where the beats provided a melodic quality much like African talking-drums.

Hopefully, at the Garden shows Townshend will be just as savage when he winds up the windmill and strikes the strings, but maybe he'll also be kinder with the fans and will return some love rather than scowl his way through these shows, too.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/baba_onasty_entertainment_dan_aquilante.htm

BABA O'NASTY

'WHO THE F - - - ARE YOU?'
    PETE ASKS FANS

By DAN AQUILANTE

September 18, 2006 -- THE WHO The Who play tonight and tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden.

AT The Who's Jones Beach warm-up concert last week for tonight and tomorrow's highly anticipated Madison Square Garden gigs, Pete Townshend was his own worst enemy.

At Wednesday's show, the second performance on the band's first world tour in more than 20 years, Townshend came off as a grumpy old man who doesn't like the fans who adore him. The sourpuss guitarist unhappily and unnecessarily pouted his way through the 21/2-hour gig with sarcastic between-song patter that attacked his bandmate Roger Daltrey, the fans and even his own new music.

After a seemingly flawless rendition of "Baba O'Riley" that concluded with Daltrey blowing a mean blues harp, Townshend judged the rendition worthy of a "Jewish wedding." Whatever that meant, it drew a burning glare from Daltrey, and the tension in the air made drummer Zak Starkey go rigid behind his drum kit.

Later, Townshend diluted his acid with just a hint of humor, calling Daltrey "a rock 'n' roll casualty" just before the band launched the Elvis homage called "Real Good Looking Boy" that references the King's "Can't Help Falling in Love."

Then there was the introduction to "Who Are You?" in which Townshend mused about what it means to be a rock star and, in the final breaths before launching the tune, spat unexpectedly at the crowd, "Who the f - - - are you?"

He didn't have to be that way with the sold-out Long Island house. He was playing and singing well, as evident in the charging opening quartet of "I Can't Explain," "The Seeker," "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and "Baba O'Riley," during which the house turned choir for Daltrey singing the famous lyric: "It's only teenage wasteland."

Behind wraparound shades and slightly slurred elocution, the real problem with Townshend was the weight of the giant chip on the shoulder that made him defensive and timid about the new song from the band's upcoming "Endless Wire" album, their first since 1982.

No doubt songs such as "My Generation," "Won't Get Fooled Again," "Substitute" and "Behind Blue Eyes" got a hotter reception than the fresh "Black Widow," "Fragments" (said to be composed on computer) and the pope-bashing ode "Man in the Purple Dress," but any rocker who has been around for a second album, let alone 40 years, understands fans' devotion to the hits.

As for the quality of those new tunes, Townshend shouldn't have had a concern. They were pretty good, and given a tour's worth of live performance, the gems will certainly emerge from the set.

Both Daltrey and Starkey were very instrumental in making "Purple Dress" - a folky, barroom ballad - one of the more welcome of the newcomers. On that one, Starkey was outstanding, giving the piece an unusual military tattoo where the beats provided a melodic quality much like African talking-drums.

Hopefully, at the Garden shows Townshend will be just as savage when he winds up the windmill and strikes the strings, but maybe he'll also be kinder with the fans and will return some love rather than scowl his way through these shows, too.

thanks for sharing this ;)
  • Options
    Sounds like Mr. Townsend might have had just a weeeeee bit to drink that night.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972