Options

the hold steady

prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
edited August 2007 in Other Music
went to see them last night at a small venue in stoke-on-trent (uk) they blew me away, one of the best live acts i have seen for a while, not PJ standard but who is, anyone else seen them on there recent tour
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    My husband adores them...but I just can't get into them. He says that their live shows would change my mind, but I can't bring myself to go to one...lol. :D
  • Options
    prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    Brain of J.Lo you should go with him i went with one of my friends who has'nt heard much of them but loved the live show. Dont know what its like in the states but its nice to see a band where its all about the music not attitude, a refreshing change to bands that play around my way
  • Options
    AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I saw them for the first time in May and wasn't that familiar with them, but they have great energy live, it was a really fun show. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again at Lolla now that I'm a bit more familiar with their catalogue.

Also, the keyboard player looks like Super Mario and that is awesome.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Options
    RaybeesRaybees Posts: 40
    That keyboardist is more Mario than Mario!

Saw them at T in the Park festival in Scotland last Sunday. They were late and only able to play a short acoustic set. It was still amazing though and the crowd went nuts for them. Heroes.
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Also, the keyboard player looks like Super Mario and that is awesome.
    Raybees wrote:
    That keyboardist is more Mario than Mario!

Ok, if my husband had shared this information with me, things might be a lot different now.

I'll check them out next time I get the chance. :D
  • Options
    RaybeesRaybees Posts: 40
    Now they've just been confirmed for the Connect Festival in Scotland in August which i'm going to. That means i get to see:

Jesus & Mary Chain
    Teenage fanclub
    Big Star
    The Hold Steady
    The Beastie Boys

In one weekend!
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • Options
    AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Raybees wrote:
    Now they've just been confirmed for the Connect Festival in Scotland in August which i'm going to. That means i get to see:

Jesus & Mary Chain
    Teenage fanclub
    Big Star
    The Hold Steady
    The Beastie Boys

In one weekend!

BIG STAR??? No way! I had no idea they were still kickin'. I'd love to see them sometime. Saw the Beasties earlier this year, and they were as good as ever, too. Sounds like a fun weekend, Raybees!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    The best $15 I have spent, recently :)

Great live band!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    My husband adores them...but I just can't get into them. He says that their live shows would change my mind, but I can't bring myself to go to one...lol. :D

They always sound to me like Bruce Springsteen is singing Soul Asylum tunes, and sometimes Paul Westerberg comes on guest vocals...
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    No way! I had no idea they were still kickin'.

Why does this sound so familiar? :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Ok, if my husband had shared this information with me, things might be a lot different now.

dude...the fact that you attempt to assert an informed opinion about this most excellent of all bands without taking the time to familiarize yourself with one of it's members hilarious facial hair is simply obscene. You should be ashamed.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/SmlHoldSteady1.jpg

Lucky for you, the Hold Steady are touring with Art Brut, and you'll be accompanying your husband, because it might involve a long drive, but he's going anyway. Then you'll have the whole ride back to think about all the time you've wasted not listening to the Hold Steady. ;)
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Thr Hold Steady made a shitload of new fans at Lollapalooza. They were clearly having a great time, and it was totally infectious. They rocked the place. I'm picking up their disc sometime this week.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    I saw them at Lollapalooza...not really my cup, but a good portion of the crowd was going bananas over them.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

the hold steady might be a guy thing, kinda like rush. my gf cannot stand them. just doesn't get it. i love them. they are so much fun and their lyrics totally remind me of those bored but carefree midwest days of running around town getting fucked up.

they truly are a blast live though.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    saw them at lolla, couldnt make it past 2 songs. Me and my friend agreed, decent music, singer sucked, a lot.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    they were here sunday with ted leo, birds of avalon, etc. i couldn't go. i like them but dude's voice is not my fave.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    great band. blew me away at Lolla. Craig Finn is one of the best frontman to come around in a long while.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Saturnal wrote:
    I saw them at Lollapalooza...not really my cup, but a good portion of the crowd was going bananas over them.

they are quickly building a very dedicated following like pearl jam. their message board is the only one i've ever seen where ti looks like there's a real community.

the singer's voice is kind of an acquired taste though. i did not get the hype the first time i heard boys and girls in america and thought he was so annoying. now im addicted.

ps. to whoever mentioned the band sounding like springsteen with soul asylum... check out the song 'chillout tent.' that's dave pirner on vocals ;)
  • Options
    Then you'll have the whole ride back to think about all the time you've wasted not listening to the Hold Steady. ;)

We'll see tonight. :D
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    the hold steady might be a guy thing, kinda like rush. my gf cannot stand them. just doesn't get it. i love them. they are so much fun and their lyrics totally remind me of those bored but carefree midwest days of running around town getting fucked up.

they truly are a blast live though.

I have the record-which is ok, decent
    I saw them at lolla

I really dont get it, the lead singer is a bit of a tool as well.
    thumbs down
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    a5pj wrote:
    saw them at lolla, couldnt make it past 2 songs. Me and my friend agreed, decent music, singer sucked, a lot.

EXACTLY!

Elvis Costello's bastard mutant child
  • Options
    edgarcampedgarcamp Posts: 100
    a5pj wrote:
    saw them at lolla, couldnt make it past 2 songs.

Same here.