Bright Eyes

KellerKeller Posts: 177
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I'm realy digging the song "four winds" right about now, but i don't have any bright eyes albums.

Where should i start?

allmusic says "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep your ear to the Ground" is their best work but i never know with allmusic.
"Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    In my opinion, 'I'm Wide Awake It's Morning' is the best place to start. I know allmusic blasts it, but I think its absolutley brilliant, start to finish. Cassadagga is spectacular, THEN get lifted, IMO.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i would start with im wide awake then go for lifted then cassadaga. bright eyes are amazing.
  • I would start with the Conor Oberst solo album that just came out. AMAZING.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i'm wide awake it's morning
    digital ash (can't believe nobody has mentioned this!?)
    cassadaga
    fevers & mirrors
    lifted
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • I would start with the Conor Oberst solo album that just came out. AMAZING.

Second'd. It is fan-fucking-tastic!!!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    Second'd. It is fan-fucking-tastic!!!

Thirded on the solo album, especially if you like Four Winds. They are touring in support now (I'm making the trip north to NYC to see them in November)

New web site, new record label, great stuff http://www.conoroberst.com/
  • catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    i would vote for cassadaga. lifted is the best, but his vocals are... unique... and might be off-putting. cassadaga is his most accessible album and a good sample of the various styles he has tried. then work backwards... digital ash, im wide awakre, and lifted.

havent heard the solo album. my gf digs it though.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    In my opinion, 'I'm Wide Awake It's Morning' is the best place to start. I know allmusic blasts it, but I think its absolutley brilliant, start to finish. Cassadagga is spectacular, THEN get lifted, IMO.

I agree!!!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    The idiot who reviewed that should be fired(because he happesn to write a lot of horrible reviews, but this one inparticular...), he did a combined review for I'm Wide Awake and "Digital Ash..." because they were released on the same day. Digital Ash was given much lower reviews across the board than I'm Wide Awake, but the consensus on Wide Awake was really, really positive. Who let somebody write one review with one score for two separate LPs? That's the main problem with AMG, people use it as the internet bible for researaching music, when they have a terrible review like that it skews people's interest away from an album.

[/rant]

I second getting "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" first, it's easily his most focused and consistent album. "Lifted...." has some fantastic songs, but it's a sprawling mess compared to Wide Awake. Start with Wide Awake, then find Lifted...., after that you'll probably either want the rest of his albums or not to listen to him ever again.