Options

Thoughts On Neil Young's Mirrorball.

JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Give some feedback on Neil's 95 release with our boys! I have been listening to Young since 1970 and it is one of my faves of his!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think its frickn' awesome, my favourite song is definately I'm the Ocean. I think what really makes this album for me is the drumming, just can't get enough of jack. I'm going to go listen to it now.

peace
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    lurkerlurker Posts: 7
    The Life Wasted Reprise is very similar to the reprise on the mirrorball album...

It is very similar...
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Mirrorball is the album that indirectly got me into PJ. I definitely love it because its a gift to both PJ and Neil Young fans, the music is beautiful and is proof of PJs versatility and ability to rock with the greatest!!!
    Her?
  • Options
    brainofPjBbrainofPjB Posts: 57
    Mirrorball is one my favorite albums. "I'm the Ocean" is my favorite as well, but I'm a big fan of "Downtown" and "Throw Your Hatred Down." And true, the drumming is real good on here...it just drives you right through the album. I've always wished Pearl Jam would do some of these tunes at their shows. Maybe someday.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm a big fan of downtown as well. but the whole album confuses me. i don't know whether it's a neil young album or a pearl jam album.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    haven't listened to it in a while but i love it and merkinball
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    i love the raw sound on mirror ball ! for me, "living with war" is the first time i've heard that kind of sound since mirrorball. so many good tunes..."i'm the ocean", "peace & love", "throw your hatred down", "scenery", "big green country"...i even have a soft spot for "song x"...some people don't seem to like that one. some of these songs are some of my neil faves.

overall, i think mirrorball is absolutely fantastic! :)
  • Options
    also, thanks johnny vs. for starting this thread...made me get the old mirror ball out and give it a spin...i've been so caught up with all the new stuff coming out...mirror ball is, as always, an excellent way to start the day! :)
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I love the whole feel of that album. It sounds like a Monkeywrench radio session: raw, loud and real.
  • Options
    Cherry GhostCherry Ghost Posts: 108
    i'm a big fan of downtown as well. but the whole album confuses me. i don't know whether it's a neil young album or a pearl jam album.

It is a Neil Young album with PJ (sans Ed) backing him. Neil wrote all the songs in a creative burst.
    8/9/92 Jones Beach, 10/2/96 Hartford, 9/8/98 E. Rutherford, 9/1/00 Camden, 7/5/03 Camden, 7/9/03 MSG, 7/14/03 PNC, 10/1/04 Reading, 9/30/05 Borgata, 10/1/05 Borgata, 10/3/05 Philly, 5/27/06 Camden, 6/1/06 E. Rutherford, 6/3/06 E. Rutherford, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/24/08 MSG, 6/25/08 MSG, 8/7/08 EV@NJPAC, 10/30/09 Spectrum, 10/31/09 Spectrum, 5/18/10 Newark
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    such a great album from start to finish...
    'i'm the ocean' is a favourite though...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    JOHNNY VS. wrote:
    Give some feedback on Neil's 95 release with our boys! I have been listening to Young since 1970 and it is one of my faves of his!

One of Neil's best efforts.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    It is a Neil Young album with PJ (sans Ed) backing him. Neil wrote all the songs in a creative burst.

i know that, i'm not a complete idiot. i just can't get my head around it, is all. it'd be better if i didn't know who the band was.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    o man Mirrorball is a precious gemstone! i'm gonna play it now...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I'm The Ocean is great, the rest kind of lacks I guess
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback overall. The folks on this forum seem like a great bunch! Remember to turn fans onto 7 Worlds Collide by Neil Finn if they don't know it. Essential listening for P Jam fans. loose moose Wed and then PJ at ACC. In the words of Homer Simpson, WOO HOO!!!!!