I just got home from Alice in Chains show...HOLY COW

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I have seen many many bands live, including Pearl Jam 3 times, but I can honestly say that I've never seen any show like the one I just witnessed. If this band was as good live with Layne Staley as they are now, then they were the greatest live band of our generation. You can say what you want about them carrying on without Staley, and I know they've got some flack for it. but after watching this show, Staley may have been the face of the band but Cantrell and Inez are the heart and soul. the new singer sound a lot like Staley, but his mic is lower in the mix than Cantrell's, almost as a tribute to Staley. but you almost don't even notice the singer because Cantrell and Inez have a stage presence like I've rarely, if ever, seen. they seemed genuinely grateful to be playing live and at the end of the show, Cantrell, Inez, and Kinney took turns at the mic to thank the crowd. this band needs to get in the studio and carry on, and Soundgarden needs to get back together, and all will be made right.

here's the setlist (it's from memory, so a couple of the songs may be out of order):

Whale & Wasp
1. Again
2. Bleed the Freak
3. Grind
4. Sea of Sorrow
5. Them Bones
6. Dam That River

video tribute to Layne Staley
acoustic set:
7. Don't Follow
8. Got Me Wrong
9. Brother
10. Nutshell
11. Killer Is Me
12. No Excuses
13. Down in a Hole

back to electric:
14. Man in the Box
15. Junkhead
16. Sludge Factory
17. Rain When I Die
18. Angry Chair
19. Heaven Beside You
20. Rooster
21. Would?

if you get a chance to see them, trust me, it's worth every penny (though my tix happened to be free).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    ahhhhhhhhhh, stop, you're killing me...........I don't get to see them til Nov 26...........feels like light years away...........
  • sounds like a sweet set list.....I LOVE AIC..one of my fav bands and never have seen the original band play...but I'm sure they sounded good here...Did Cantrell do vocals alot ?
    Master of Zen
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I have seen many many bands live, including Pearl Jam 3 times, but I can honestly say that I've never seen any show like the one I just witnessed. If this band was as good live with Layne Staley as they are now, then they were the greatest live band of our generation. .

I saw AIC with Staley and with Duvall and they were 10 times better with Duvall. Staley was too much of a mess when I saw them live to even be coherent. I hate to say it, but in my experience it was true and with over 200 shows under my belt I would say that AIC with Layne was one of the 5 worst I have ever seen. I wish I had a chance to see them again so they could have possibly redeemed themselves, but it was not to be. The current tour is friggin awesome tho.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Did Cantrell do vocals alot ?

just like on the albums, he did his parts and Duvall did Staley's parts. but Cantrell always did probably 40% of the vocals anyway.
  • I am SO excited for this show on thursday! I have adored this band since i first found music, and I know this night will be memorable. wow..lol, this is really gonna blow everything out of the water. I can't wait!
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • You guys are making me super excited to go see them but I'm trying not to be because last time I got my hopes up and got excited about a concert it turned out to be awful. Everything went wrong and I expected so much out of it that it ruined it. It's easy to do that for Alice in Chains too cuz I have never seen them and they are one of my all time favorite bands. I have wanted to see them since i was 13 years old and i'm 25 now. I dont want this experience to be ruined for me so I need to not focus on it until the day of.

...but i still am really excited to see them :)
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." -'Release' PJ
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    just like on the albums, he did his parts and Duvall did Staley's parts. but Cantrell always did probably 40% of the vocals anyway.

Yeah true eh
    Master of Zen
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    I saw them in 92 in a club in St. Louis, then again in 93 at Lollapalooza and they were INCREDIBLE both times. Probably one of the best live acts I've ever seen. The energy in the small room that night was unbelievable - they started the set behind a big backlit screen and I remember the crowd going bananas, climbing on top of each other, moshing, etc. At Lollapalooza, it was towards the end of a brutally hot, dry day. Right before they came out, the fire dept backed up a truck and hosed down the crowd. It was cathartic and such a relief after the oppressive heat, then AiC came out and kicked twelve different kinds of ass with a killer set.

So... I'd like to see this tour but I'm still unconvinced. I know nothing can touch the great memories I have of seeing them back in my grunge heyday. :)
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Jill-oJill-o Posts: 33
    Wow...I'm going to see them tonight! This review makes me 10x more excited to see the show now! Thanks!

~Jill
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    awesome set list...cant wait for Nov 5 in Toronto...
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Jill-o wrote:
    Wow...I'm going to see them tonight! This review makes me 10x more excited to see the show now! Thanks!

~Jill
    Have fun. I was planning on going down to Winston-Salem to catch the show tonight but things fell through. I really wish I could be there.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    mikesbri wrote:
    awesome set list...cant wait for Nov 5 in Toronto...
    fifteen days. it's almost here.
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Saw them last night in Winston Salem and oh man, probably the best live show i've ever seen and i've seen Pearl Jam also. Don't pass up seeing AIC on this tour. Duvall is the perfect replacement for Staley.
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    adam42381 wrote:
    Have fun. I was planning on going down to Winston-Salem to catch the show tonight but things fell through. I really wish I could be there.

Man you should have went...they packed that place full...I couldn't even move my arms!
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    i'm seeing them on Thursday in Philly for the 3rd time this year.. cant wait..

saw them on the VH1 thing w/ Heart, and back in August in Bethlehem, Pa...

might even go Saturday in Atlantic City too
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    we did not get the Layne tribute in Ft. Lauderdale b/c everything was running late. but holy shit did they rip the fuck out of Dam that River, Rain When I Die, We Die Young, Junkhead, Bleed the Freak, and Sludge Factory.

glad you got to experience it.
    Live Free or Die!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I saw AIC with Staley and with Duvall and they were 10 times better with Duvall. Staley was too much of a mess when I saw them live to even be coherent. I hate to say it, but in my experience it was true and with over 200 shows under my belt I would say that AIC with Layne was one of the 5 worst I have ever seen. I wish I had a chance to see them again so they could have possibly redeemed themselves, but it was not to be. The current tour is friggin awesome tho.

which tour did you seem em on.. i can almost garuntee it was not in 1991 or even 1992.. Staley in 1991 live was amazing.. Duvall nor any singer really could not even touch him from that era
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    which tour did you seem em on.. i can almost garuntee it was not in 1991 or even 1992.. Staley in 1991 live was amazing.. Duvall nor any singer really could not even touch him from that era

Save your guarantees. Saw them in 1991 opening for Van Halen. He was terrible. He curled up in a ball at the front of the stage and did not move the whole set and you could not understand anything he was saying or singing.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Save your guarantees. Saw them in 1991 opening for Van Halen. He was terrible. He curled up in a ball at the front of the stage and did not move the whole set and you could not understand anything he was saying or singing.

ahhh well yeah if he was all fucked up on something then i could see him doing that.. i was amazed at the tour footage i seen of em from 91.. these were club gigs tho with aic fans.. i heard about that van halen tour when it rolled through canada... not a ton of aic support.. so could be why they weren't on aswell
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • lateraluslateralus Posts: 111
    I saw them in germany this summer. Great Show, my third best concert after Pearl Jam and GunsNroses. I'd like to see them again
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Damn, I want to see them if they come anywhere close to STL
    bharQ wrote:
    ahhh well yeah if he was all fucked up on something then i could see him doing that.. i was amazed at the tour footage i seen of em from 91.. these were club gigs tho with aic fans.. i heard about that van halen tour when it rolled through canada... not a ton of aic support.. so could be why they weren't on aswell

could be the case...
    I wish I could have seen them again just to give them a second chance, but it never happened.....
    Duvall does an outstanding job tho and is well worth the $$$.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    how long have the shows been? From the set list i saw that looks like a 2.5 hour show!!!...Awesome cant wait!!
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I was about to say the same thing....saw them on the same tour, and he sounded ok, but didn't move from the mic once....slid up and down it a few times, then sang two songs lying down on the stage. I could see his pupils from row 20.
    I still had a blast tho....I think my friend and I were the only two people in the entire crowd that had heard of them at that time.

I really really hope I get to see the new incarnation. That setlist slays.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    I'm seein em sat in Atlantic City, gonna try to get close to the stage also, im guessing that Jerry is on the right side correct? Hopefully this will be one of the best concerts I've seen since PJ in pitts.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Ill be there Nov 1st at the Nokia Theatre in NYC . I cant friggin wait.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
    a5pj wrote:
    I'm seein em sat in Atlantic City, gonna try to get close to the stage also, im guessing that Jerry is on the right side correct? Hopefully this will be one of the best concerts I've seen since PJ in pitts.

Yeah, Jerry is on the right when you face the stage.
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    I heard their play in Boston on Halloween...wish I could go!!!
    Gotta get treats with the kids...Boo to me:(
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    4 hours until they hit the stage here in DC :D
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    mikesbri wrote:
    how long have the shows been? From the set list i saw that looks like a 2.5 hour show!!!...Awesome cant wait!!

they started playing at 10:15pm and the last song was over at 12:35am, so yeah, close to 2.5 hours.