my Nickelback story

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I was thinking earlier about different shows that I've been to. around 1999 or 2000, I saw Nickelback play. it was before they were famous and I really had not even heard of them at that point. they were playing at a club with 2 or 3 other bands for something like $5, so I went with some friends.

On this night, I got more drunk than I had ever been in my life. I was still throwing up 12 hours later. anyway, towards the end of Nickelback's show, I made my way to the front of the stage, reached up, and unplugged all of the horseface singer's pedals and equipment. I also grabbed the setlist which was taped to the stage, turned around, and calmly walked back into the crowd. if you've seen Forrest Gump, it was almost like that scene where the military guy goes and unplugs the PA equipment while Forrest is giving his speech. I looked back and a roadie or somebody had run forward and was frantically plugging everything back in. nobody said anything about it, not even the bouncers. they were probably thankful for my drunken asshole actions. at that point, I'd never heard of Nickelback and was too drunk to realize how bad they would go on to suck. so it's almost like God himself guided me to the front of the stage for some divine intervention. funny or asshole?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    funny and asshole....

funny that it was nicklecrap....

asshole if it had been a good band....like you said you didn't know they were a shit band at the time.....what if you had done that at one of pj early shows? :)

funny story though....:D
  • CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    funny
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • asshole.

who the hell are you to decide who sucks?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • asshole.

Dude.
    This is definately one of those "benefit of the doubt" situations.

DEFINATELY.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I think you are a hero, and you can plug/unplug all my holes anytime.
  • hilarious
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    asshole.

Ahhha...our first Nickelback fan:)

spring forth you!!

i kid i kid
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    asshole.

yeah, but I didn't do it because they sucked. I had no reason for doing it. I was incredibly drunk and would have probably attempted it even if it had been Led Zeppelin onstage. it's just funny looking back, knowing what I know now (that they suck), that it was Nickelback.
  • you all are seriously ridiculous

wait till some drunken asshole walks up to Pearl Jam's stage and unplugs their shit. We'll see how hilarious you think that is.

No matter how much i hate a band, i would never fuck with their shit. You just don't do that. All my friends are in bands and i guess i just understand what it means to fuck with a band's equiptment. You just don't do it.

Like the music or not, they have every right to do their job. No one shows up where you work and unplugs your computer or sets fire to your cement mixer.

Fuckers.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    yeah, but I didn't do it because they sucked. I had no reason for doing it. I was incredibly drunk and would have probably attempted it even if it had been Led Zeppelin onstage. it's just funny looking back, knowing what I know now (that they suck), that it was Nickelback.

Someday your girlfriend is going to get incredibly drunk and fuck some other dude. i am sure it will be really funny looking back but you're still going to be pissed about it aren't you?
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    That rules, Nickelback is a disgrace to music
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Someday your girlfriend is going to get incredibly drunk and fuck some other dude. i am sure it will be really funny looking back but you're still going to be pissed about it aren't you?

I don't have a girlfriend, I'm married. and she doesn't drink. but maybe she'll fuck you sober, you seem to have bucket loads of charming personality.

btw, it's not going to happen at a PJ show. those shows in big arenas have barriers and security people are usually up front. it wouldn't even happen at a Nickelback show now. this happened at a small club, when the band was unknown, and there were no such security boundaries.
  • Well how awesome for you.

i bet you feel special that you can't handle your liquor and you can be a fucking nuisance out in public.

neato. i'm impressed.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908

Funny.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I don't have a girlfriend, I'm married. and she doesn't drink. but maybe she'll fuck you sober, you seem to have bucket loads of charming personality.

Funnier.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927

LOL
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    you all are seriously ridiculous

wait till some drunken asshole walks up to Pearl Jam's stage and unplugs their shit. We'll see how hilarious you think that is.

No matter how much i hate a band, i would never fuck with their shit. You just don't do that. All my friends are in bands and i guess i just understand what it means to fuck with a band's equiptment. You just don't do it.

Like the music or not, they have every right to do their job. No one shows up where you work and unplugs your computer or sets fire to your cement mixer.

Fuckers.
    Totally agree! Great post. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I just don't get the full on hatred towards them. As musicians, they do nothing for me, i find them incredibly boring, but no more or less than any other band that doesn't interest me. They are just a crappy band. There's plenty of them out there.

I wonder why people care enough to hate them that much. Bizzare.

As to MLC2006's question, i just think, well you were probably really young and you already said you were drunk, and i'm sure you wouldn't do it now. I see you post in the musicians forum too, and i know if you're there you understand the respect factor when it comes to other peoples gear.

Everyone does stupid things, we all do, but i just wouldn't be so proud of it. That's just my 2c.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Couldn't you have just been content to throw rocks at his horse face like everyone else?
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    In retrospect, that's pretty funny, considering it was Nickleback. Joe2TheRevenge does make a valid point, though.
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Why does the Stickleback lead singer always get called horseface? He's always reminded me of the cowardly lion in the Wizard Of Oz!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I was thinking earlier about different shows that I've been to. around 1999 or 2000, I saw Nickelback play. it was before they were famous and I really had not even heard of them at that point. they were playing at a club with 2 or 3 other bands for something like $5, so I went with some friends.

On this night, I got more drunk than I had ever been in my life. I was still throwing up 12 hours later. anyway, towards the end of Nickelback's show, I made my way to the front of the stage, reached up, and unplugged all of the horseface singer's pedals and equipment. I also grabbed the setlist which was taped to the stage, turned around, and calmly walked back into the crowd. if you've seen Forrest Gump, it was almost like that scene where the military guy goes and unplugs the PA equipment while Forrest is giving his speech. I looked back and a roadie or somebody had run forward and was frantically plugging everything back in. nobody said anything about it, not even the bouncers. they were probably thankful for my drunken asshole actions. at that point, I'd never heard of Nickelback and was too drunk to realize how bad they would go on to suck. so it's almost like God himself guided me to the front of the stage for some divine intervention. funny or asshole?

Perhaps one day someone will interfere with you when you are trying to do your job. It won't be as funny then!

and, what if your actions caused them to get a record deal....we have YOU to blame for their success!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    why the hell are people getting mad at him. who gives a shit, he just came to tell an old story that he thought was funny.like anyone here has never done something really stupid while they were drunk. big deal
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    MLC2006 wrote:

what a jerk.
  • Fender_Man wrote:
    Why does the Stickleback lead singer always get called horseface? He's always reminded me of the cowardly lion in the Wizard Of Oz!

thats because his face has striking similarities to that of a horse....
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    you all are seriously ridiculous

Fuckers.

Take it down a notch dude. We're in an internet chat forum

He told a story that some of us found funny. Don't believe anybody else stated they would do the same thing. Nor do I think he's planning on doing it again.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    MLC2006 wrote:

God Bless You!!! Now if someone could only unplug them from the radio.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Take it down a notch dude. We're in an internet chat forum

He told a story that some of us found funny. Don't believe anybody else stated they would do the same thing. Nor do I think he's planning on doing it again.
    Yup. People here need to lighten up big style. I thought it was pretty funny. The fact that it was Nickelback makes it hilarious. If it HAD been Led Zeppelin....well that would have been LEGENDARY!!!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • is not like he shot Horseface. stop whining
    funny
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Fender_Man wrote:
    he does look like a horse :)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I never thought of him as a horseface...until now, haha. It's kinda of a dick move even if you don't like the band but seeing how far they've made it (again, like them or not), the event didn't seem to phase them. Better it happen to them then than now, for their sake, I guess.

Also, whoever brought in the girlfriend thing....I have no idea how that related to the story whatsoever. Talk about a dick move...bringing that subject into this...

Can't we all just get along?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy