the Kim Thayil appreciation thread.

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited July 2007 in Other Music
to hell with all this "I love Cornell", "I hate Cornell" bullshit. Thayil is the MAN.

1. we see what Cornell has accomplished without Thayil by his side.....not much

2. he became a guitar god by using a guitar that no other guitar god ever thought of using....a discontinued electric guitar that was made by a primarily acoustic guitar maker, and he probably found it in a pawnshop.

3. no one ever thought Cousin It in flannel and jeans would look cool...but now we know better.

4. his name is Kim.

anymore I missed? anybody else wanna spread the Kim Thayil love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ok i disagree about cornell not accomplishing much, but theres so many bullshit threads about that topic so i won't get into that.

kim thayil is a fucking brilliant guitar player. he had such a distinct sound. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM!? he like faded off into exhistance. no band he's in or anything? really
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i appreciate kim's beard.....that's bird's nest country right there.........nice :D
    does he still have it? anyone got any recent pics?
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i appreciate kim's beard.....that's bird's nest country right there.........nice :D
    Check the wiki article.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Hahaha

What A Beefcake

This Guy Can Friggin Shred

The last I heard of him was he played with AIC for the rehersal @ the Moore Theater before their 06 tour

I might make a Cameron in SG appreciation thread too while im at it

I actually agree with you for one MLC.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    one of the world's most underrated guitarists. he needs to get back in a band!
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    He is the fucker and Soundgarden was nothing if he wasn't around.
  • yep,

here to express appreciation for that hairy motherfucker.

hey, if no one has seen him for a while, maybe its coz he went bald and shaved his beard off and is now living life amongst us 'normies'

LOL!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    one of the world's most underrated guitarists. he needs to get back in a band!

I believe his thoughts on that subject are something along the lines of, I've already been in the best band I have no more to prove. I saw him quoted saying something along those lines once.

Awesome shredder.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Props to this thread - because I've often wondered what the hell happened to this guy - Great work on Soundgarden's albums
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Props for being able to be in a band with an ASSHOLE like Chris Cornell...
    Great beard too!
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Yeah! 5 Random Favorite Thayil solos:

Limo Wreck
    4th Of July
    Pretty Noose
    Black Hole Sun
    Holy Water
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Duder5k wrote:
    Yeah! 5 Random Favorite Thayil solos:

Limo Wreck
    4th Of July
    Pretty Noose
    Black Hole Sun
    Holy Water

Add Birth Ritual, JCP, Rusty Cage and Outshined to that list man he's a fucking hero.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Add Birth Ritual, JCP, Rusty Cage and Outshined to that list man he's a fucking hero.:)

Don't forget the Like Suicide solo... Always blows my mind.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Kim Thayil's a badass, definitely. Still, the astounding thing about SG was that they were always better than the sum of their parts. Kim had killer tone and his riffs (and how he played Cornell's riffs) were jaw-droppingly sweet. But I always thought his solos were just kind of psychadelic guitar wankery... they didn't really stand well by themselves. But still, they ALWAYS fit the song, and that's what's important, I guess.

What I'm trying to say is.... yeah, he rocks.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    His Like Suicide solo is an eargasm!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Didn't he beat up a soundgarden fan or something. Now thats rock n' roll!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    itsevobaby wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Thayil_%26_Warnick_01.jpg
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    he was on the SunnO)))/Boris album Altar...i think the last track.. i miss him
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Didn't he beat up a soundgarden fan or something. Now thats rock n' roll!

yes, I think they were on their honeymoon and saw him in the hotel lobby (they and Soundgarden were staying at the same hotel). they asked to take his picture and he assaulted them. I think that's how the story went, but it's been so long I hardly remember.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    yes, I think they were on their honeymoon and saw him in the hotel lobby (they and Soundgarden were staying at the same hotel). they asked to take his picture and he assaulted them. I think that's how the story went, but it's been so long I hardly remember.

"1996, Kim Thayil of Soundgarden is arrested for assault and released the same day in North Carolina ... the band had just wrapped up their day as main-stage headliners on the Lollapalooza festival stop at Rockingham Dragway ... from his own mouth: "It wasn't even a fan and it wasn't even at our show. It was in the lobby of our hotel in North Carolina. These people heard that we were staying in the hotel so they're sneaking out to look and they had been drinking so they were a little bit verbally abusive. I told one of them to go away with a twist of the wrist and that was it, just once. It wouldn't have been a big deal had I not been who I am--a guy in a rock band." ... thanks for the clarification, Kim..."
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!