RIP Papa

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Denny Doherty, one-quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group the Mamas and the Papas, known for their soaring harmony on hits like "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday," died Friday at 66.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_en_mu/obit_doherty_6
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    that leaves 1 member right, michelle phillips?

66 is not very old, wonder if he died of pneumonia...

on the all news station last night, they pissed me off. I was on my way home from work and they announced, "a musician from a popular sixties band has died." For some reason, I was afraid it was one of the Monkees...so I had to wait to hear.

I never cared for cass elliott's voice though.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • That's some sad news. I met Denny Doherty in September of last year, and he was a very friendly guy. My fiance and her sis are big 60's rock fans, and I think they really gave him a nice surprise when they asked for a photo and autograph. He was genuinely friendly, and that pic and autograph (which he signed 'Thank you kindly, Melanie. Denny Doherty, The Mamas and the Papas') will hold a special place in our hearts, God speed Sir!!!
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    This is sad news. The Mamas and Papas are a real favorite of mine.
    I have always enjoyed their music especially the clever use of harmonies in their songs.

Rest easy Denny and thank you for the music.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • a haligonian who will be dearly missed.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    My brother had the paper out today and I only caught a glance. Envolved in some brillant songs. RIP my man
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Rip:(
    Can not be arsed with life no more.