Tool Sucks

pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Just read this review...its been out for awhile, but it just really pissed me off. I am, and always have been a huge Tool fan...but its always interesting to see anothers perspective...

By the way, 10,000 days may be the best album ever...(bold statement, I know, guess I am one of those blind fans who considers Maynard a god)

http://cp05.ionhosting.com/~joelh/toolreviews.htm
I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow, that guys a wanker. talk about a bad review! 10,000 days isn't tools best, but it is very good.

the pot may be one of the best tool songs ever...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    The 'review' is horseshit and smacks of someone trying to be controversial just to get noticed and is clearly no writer. However, I think his last paragraph is interesting, and much as I'd love to disagree, I can't see how I would.
    Now for one last statement, I want to bring light to exactly how Maynard is the definition of the Politburo. He goes out and condemns those for buying lattes and even cars. Yet, he has been bragging about how he purchased a bottle of French wine for $10,000 (maybe that is what 10,000 Days truly stands for). That is a luxury item that actually does nothing for the economy. At least by me purchasing a latte from Dunkin Donuts I am keeping an industry alive thus making more have employment. To further insult me, Maynard purchased his own vineyard to manufacture and sell is very bad and poor tasting wine. Again, you condemn the economic system you so profit after. And yet, he preaches this social equality and has done very much to show how he is an elitist. Since he does not follow the beliefs he wishes to oppress on the public, he has become a Politburo in the Soviet Union. If you want the expensive meat, Maynard will get it, but not you. It seems the pigs in Animal Farm are what Maynard stands for you. The rest of you can be those lowly animals that work for the greater good. Do yourself a favor Maynard, drop dead.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I hate tool's music, but calling Maynard a commie?
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Just read this review...its been out for awhile, but it just really pissed me off. I am, and always have been a huge Tool fan...but its always interesting to see anothers perspective...

By the way, 10,000 days may be the best album ever...(bold statement, I know, guess I am one of those blind fans who considers Maynard a god)

Well, imo you either like TOOL or you hate them. I guess there's no in between.

And I really like them!
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    parel jam wrote:

And I really like them!

Yes. there's in between...ME.
    I can't say that I'm a big fan, the music isn't bad, the show I saw was very good but I can't understand the meaning of a band like Tool. I don't have the realtion with their music like I'm having with those from Pearl Jam, Ezio, Soundgarden or even the Beatsteaks. All these Bands have a place in my musical heart, they wake up feelings, emotions or just fun time but Tool, even if the music isn't bad at all, are "steril"for me. I always think that all their stuff is a pose, that their anti-economist attitude is just fake !!
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i didnt read the whole review but ive held the opinion that "maynard is a tool" for years now. tool is a very talented band but i cant stand their last 2 albums. i also saw them tour for lateralus and it was one of the worst shows i ever saw. it was like watching a band rehearse with a projection screen. im sure elvis could put on a more lively show.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    I also saw them on the lateralusshow but I liked the show but didn't get infected by the tool virus!!
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    saw them live after sober was released, long time ago.
    good show
    the reviewer called him a greasy punk.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    whatever. listen to ISIS instead.
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    luxpjamer wrote:
    Yes. there's in between...ME.
    I can't say that I'm a big fan, the music isn't bad, the show I saw was very good but I can't understand the meaning of a band like Tool. I don't have the realtion with their music like I'm having with those from Pearl Jam, Ezio, Soundgarden or even the Beatsteaks. All these Bands have a place in my musical heart, they wake up feelings, emotions or just fun time but Tool, even if the music isn't bad at all, are "steril"for me. I always think that all their stuff is a pose, that their anti-economist attitude is just fake !!

Same for me. They're all extremely talented, but they put some much into the music that you almost can't listen to anything else, it's like you have to make Tool a religion. And it's a rather creepy way of life, all their "recommended readings" and beliefs about conspiracies and mysteries.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    parel jam wrote:

And I really like them!
    well, I'm a casual TOOL fan. I think they have some great songs, and I enjoy Aenima and 10,000 days. I've only heard Lateralus once, back in college, cause a friend had it. I still need to listen to undertow all the way through.

I need to see a live show, and then hopefully the casual fan status will go up from there.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

if you think any tool album is the best album ever, then yes.

tool is ok. they are better than most metal bands, but every song they ever released sounds exactly the same... which would be ok if they didn't feel compelled to release 75 minute albums with 15 minute masturbatory musical interludes. i don't mind them, but they are so over-hyped as to be a joke... them and radiohead. they both annoy the shit out of me becos their fans think they can record the sound of piss in a bucket and it would be genius, and worse yet, the band themselves bought into their own hype and take themselves so fucking seriously it's pathetic.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    that guy needs to open up his ears.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    they are pretty good. they don't bother me, but I've heard them one the radio way too much. and its always the same f-ing song, "the pot". Its good but I've had enough. The song that goes, "na-na na-na naaa-naaa" is really good IMO. Whats that one called?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Infinity_NowInfinity_Now Posts: 188
    parel jam wrote:
    Well, imo you either like TOOL or you hate them. I guess there's no in between...

Therein the latter - you probably hate them because you don't have a sense of humor. Maynard was probably joking about buying that bottle of wine. Like he jokes about waffles, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyYbl-jZ1A
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    i also saw them tour for lateralus and it was one of the worst shows i ever saw. it was like watching a band rehearse with a projection screen.

LOL.
  • pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    if you think any tool album is the best album ever, then yes.

tool is ok. they are better than most metal bands, but every song they ever released sounds exactly the same... which would be ok if they didn't feel compelled to release 75 minute albums with 15 minute masturbatory musical interludes. i don't mind them, but they are so over-hyped as to be a joke... them and radiohead. they both annoy the shit out of me becos their fans think they can record the sound of piss in a bucket and it would be genius, and worse yet, the band themselves bought into their own hype and take themselves so fucking seriously it's pathetic.

Every song sounds the same??? Enlighten yourself and pick up a copy of Opiate or Undertow and compare them to Lateralus or 10,000 days...

As for the 15 minute masturbatory musical interludes you speak so confidently about...well, thats the fucking point. It's music...and the lyrics are only there as a compliment to that music. Some the most intense and electrifying parts of their albums are purely musical and not lyrical. If you cant handle actually listening to music, then maybe their stuff isn't for you...go pick up the new daughtry album

Tool doesn't make music with catchy lines...they don't make music for the mindless...they make music that is capable of speaking to you in the absence of lyrical manipulation, music that is capable of invoking thought and emotion.

And yes, their music is serious, so why shouldn't they be serious about something they put so much energy and effort into creating? Again, they really aren't trying to entertain, they are trying to speak, not necessarily through words, but through...(wait for it...be patient)...THEIR MUSIC!!! And those who fail to listen write reviews like this guy.

Go ahead and say Tool fans would defend sounds of bucket pissing...continue to miss the point...continue to feed upon the mindless thoughts of others...but please...PLEASE...don't continue listening to their music...becuase as our good friends would put it...IT'S NOT FOR YOU!!!
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 378
    tool fans waited five years for that piece of shit called 10,000 days. that album is crap except for the pot and vicarious. jambi?-nice one. wings for marie?- sounds like 3 baked fifteen year olds recorded that.every record has only 2 decent songs on it.know people that went to vancouver 06 and they said it sucked shit, even though you could get second tier seats three weeks after tickets went on sale.
  • pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    Haijay wrote:
    tool fans waited five years for that piece of shit called 10,000 days. that album is crap except for the pot and vicarious. jambi?-nice one. wings for marie?- sounds like 3 baked fifteen year olds recorded that.every record has only 2 decent songs on it.know people that went to vancouver 06 and they said it sucked shit, even though you could get second tier seats three weeks after tickets went on sale.

really nothing to say about this one...thanks for the laugh
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Tool Sucks
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    it's one thing not to like their album catalog but in all honesty their live show to me is one of the best concerst i've seen out of the 300 or 400 other concerts i have seen live, it's a show/artistical presentation not your typical show ......most of the people who have posted probably have not seen them live at least i can say i have and it was great......i don't own any of their albums/cd's at all someone invited me to the show and it blew me away.......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought 10,000 days was lacking.

I hardley ever go back to listen to it.

I am excited to see them again in june though maybe hearing some of the songs live will change my feelings about the album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Tool's last good record was Aenima. Laturalus was half good, if that.. and 10,000 days bored me to death. more like 10,000 hours. riffs i've heard before.. just with better drumming. i don't get how fans can stand by and just wait for a new album every 5 years. fuck that. i know for a fact that Adam Jones had many of those songs written for years.. what's the problem? oh, Maynard had to waste our time with that joke A Perfect Circle. sorry, these guys just annoy the hell out of me.

i have seen them live and the show was just okay.