Henry Rollins Spoken word tour

Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Anyone going??

He's doing UK/ Ireland in January'08.

Anyone seen his spoken word show and care to share their experience??
Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
Lisbon '06 (x2)
Katowice '07
London '07 '09 (x2), '10
MSG NY '08 (x2)
Manchester '09 '12
Belfast '10
PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
Leeds '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    I've seen him in concert three times. He also did a speaking engagment at a local college several years back. If you have the time to go see him I would saw go for it. Rollins is Rollins but you will have gained something from him by going.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Getting my ticket in a few days :D
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • I can't go :( I will be in New York though so not all bad.

I saw him a couple of years ago at Download, he did a Sunday morning sermon and he is just so good to listen to. I always seem to be away when he tours though.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    Seen him a bunch of times, always interesting always funny.

One of the few rock stars who actually reply to emails you send them.

He is "the man"

Just listen to "Its Kiss" parts one and two from Talk is cheap (cant remember which volume though s'oz).
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    HEY!!! i'm watching a DVD of the henry rollins show now. it's the ep from series 1 with patton oswalt & damian marley.

i saw hank a couple of years ago and he just made me laugh. i have the highest respect for this man. i hope he comes back to oz soon.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I would recommend going to see him do spoken word, London in Jan will be my 3rd time. He is a really interesting guy. First time i went he mentioned Eddie when talking about the Ramones.
    London Nov 96, London May 00, Cardiff June 00, Las Vegas June 03, London April 06, Dublin Aug 06, Reading Aug 06, London June 07, New York x2 June 08, Manchester Aug 09, London August 09, London June 10, Manchester June 12, IOW June 12, EV London July 12, Milton Keynes June 14, EV London x2 June 17, London June 18, London July 18, EV London July 19, Hyde Park x 2 July 23 
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    If you can go you def should.Seen him loads of times in spoken word.He's amazing I have laughed cried and cringed during his shows.Be prepared for a long night though he's on stage for hours.Does anyone know why he stopped writting?His books are amazing but havn't seen anthing new from him for a while.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Would you recommend any of his books??
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14

absolutely. i have all of them bar the latest one. he is confronting. but if you're going to see him live then you already know that. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Yes.
    My favourites are
    Art to Choke Hearts and Pissing in the Gene Pool (originally two seperate books but now compiled into one book) and High Adventures in the Great Outdoors.
    Have also read Black Coffee Blues,One from None,See a Grown Man Cry and Bang!
    He used to own his own publishing company called 2:13:61 (his date of birth) and published books by Joe Cole,Don Bajema,Bill Shields and Nick Cave that are also well worth checking out.
    I'm not aware of a new book.His books are ususally sold at his spoken word shows.I was at one last week as he performed at the Edinburgh Festival and there were no new books avaliable to buy.
    I would def recommend you check some of these books out.If you need any more info send me a pm and I'll help if I can.
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I'm not aware of a new book.His books are ususally sold at his spoken word shows.I was at one last week as he performed at the Edinburgh Festival and there were no new books avaliable to buy.

i'm talking about a dull roar. the last one i bought was roomanitarian
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Seeing him in Portland in November, first time, hella stoked. How early should I be there for a prime spot?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Well I really like the album Nice.. so i might go check out this thing
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    His spoken word shows are a blast. He always has some interesting insights. I saw him a couple years ago, and am going in Toronto in October.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    i'm talking about a dull roar. the last one i bought was roomanitarian

I wasn't being fasctious!!!!Simply stating that I havn't seen a new book of his for a while,considering that the ones I do have had to be ordered from the U.S.as they had been difficult to find in Scotland!!But thanks for update on newer work!
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I wasn't being fasctious!!!!Simply stating that I havn't seen a new book of his for a while,considering that the ones I do have had to be ordered from the U.S.as they had been difficult to find in Scotland!!But thanks for update on newer work!

it's cool. admittedly i didn't even know the latest one was out until four days ago. i'd heard rumours. my apologies if i came across a little militant. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PandemicPandemic Posts: 54
    If you can go, you owe it to yourself to do so.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Got tickets for it alright.

Didn't want the front row tickets though. Picked a couple of rows back.
    Just in case!!
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
    it's cool. admittedly i didn't even know the latest one was out until four days ago. i'd heard rumours. my apologies if i came across a little militant. :)

No worries its cool.But good to share info about interest's esp books,music and film.Will check his web site for info on avaliability.Cheers ;)
    Seeing him in Portland in November, first time, hella stoked. How early should I be there for a prime spot?

Should be all seated so no matter where you are should be ok.There's not crowd participation as such and he cuts of hecklers respectfully but quickly.Very much a listen to and absord what he's saying kinda show.Lots of observations of life and how ludicrious it can be,lots of vitriol that really makes you think and the natural comedic value of life as well.It a great way to spend a night:).Enjoy.See his spoken word once you'll go see again.
    Got tickets for it alright.

Didn't want the front row tickets though. Picked a couple of rows back.
    Just in case!!

last time i saw henry i had front row tix. a couple of nights before that i was a few rows further back. cause let's face it, it was the closest i was ever gonna get to the man. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I went to see him live, once. He's a lot less self-righteous and polemical than you'd think.
    I went to see him live, once. He's a lot less self-righteous and polemical than you'd think.

well jeez fins, how self righteous did you think the man was?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say