Jesus Christ Pose

edited July 2006 in Other Music
enough said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Incredible song... There's something intensely angry about that Badmotorfinger record that didn't find its way onto superunknown or DOTU. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (all three are masterpieces), but it does make songs like JCP sound absolutely barbaric (in the best possible way). Matt's drums are unbelieveable.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    when i was first getting into Soundgarden(about two years ago now i think), this song blew my mind. i still love it.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Jesus Christ Pose

And you stare at me in your Jesus Christ pose

Arms held out like you've been carrying a load

And you swear to me you don't want to be my slave

But you're staring at me like I need to be saved

In your Jesus Christ pose

Arms held out

Thorns and shroud like it's the coming of the Lord

And I swear to you that I would never feed you pain

But you're staring at me like I'm driving the nails

And you stare at me

Arms held out like it's the coming of the Lord

And would it pay you more to walk on water

Than to wear a crown of thorns

It wouldn't pain me more to bury you rich

Than to bury you poor

10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    I have this old vhs tape from Soundgarden playing Lollapalooza back in '92 and is incredible how perfectly tight they nailed it live back then. After they finished the song Chris goes "fuck the gym... that's Matt Cameron's way of working out" or something like that. During Outshine, Eddie Vedder sings backing vocals while smoking a joint sitting on Matt's drum set and in the middle of Slaves and Bulldozers, Chris sings the chorus of Smells Like Teen Spirit... totally classic shit, I so wish to be 10 years older so I could had been there.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    The drums are wicked. This was supposed the be the only song that the whole band wrote. It's amazing.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    that song -- nay, the entire BADMOTORFINGER album -- still blows my mind to this very day.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    uninnocent wrote:
    that song -- nay, the entire BADMOTORFINGER album -- still blows my mind to this very day.

I'll second this motion.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Soundgarden are fucking amazing, I am so gutted I never got to see them live
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    The video + weed = :eek::eek::eek:
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    The video for this song is awesome. (Sorry Dunk, I know you would not approve of my use of that word ;))

The whole Badmotofinger album is heavy, intense and just brilliant. By far my favourite SG album.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    danny72688 wrote:
    The video + weed = :eek::eek::eek:

The video for Black Hole Sun would fuck you up more:D
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613

LOL that video is weird, even viewed without weed :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Love this song, it's pretty much as brutal as they come. Although I love Superunkrown, Badmotorfinger just has this primal energy that totally consumes you when you listen to it.

As ever, I have a wicked live version of this song, recorded in Seattle in '92, complete with an astonishing Cornell performance, even that high pitch wail at the end: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5C692B866038021C
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    Excellent song, one of SGs best
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...

As ever, I have a wicked live version of this song, recorded in Seattle in '92, complete with an astonishing Cornell performance, even that high pitch wail at the end: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5C692B866038021C

o__O

OMG the drums!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    One of Matt's finest moments.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Best SG song as far as I am concerned.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355

That the one with the swirly faces?
    Yes!! :eek::eek::eek:
    JCP still wins in my book.
  • jemmsjemms Posts: 664
    loooooooove it...
    riff + drumming + CC vocals = :D
    OFFICIAL AUSTRALIAN TOUR MEMBER #77

Ten Club (289xxx)

http://www.myspace.com/k_r_y_s_t_i_e

www.rarerecords.com.au =)
  • jemmsjemms Posts: 664
    mike_s_6 wrote:
    o__O

OMG the drums!

HOLY FCKN SHIT!!!! word, goes off...
    OFFICIAL AUSTRALIAN TOUR MEMBER #77

Ten Club (289xxx)

http://www.myspace.com/k_r_y_s_t_i_e

www.rarerecords.com.au =)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    there is something inhuman about this song. something... animal, primal, brutal. the drums are fucking mindblowing, the vocals are basically unbelievable and the guitars sound like the coming of the apocalypse.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    First live Soundgarden song I heard back in the day in a hot sweaty pit and it ROCKED!!!!
  • I'll second this motion.

Third.

BUMP.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Not my favorite off of Badmotorfinger, but it's still fucking amazing.

I still say The Shredder in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies should have been played by Kim Thayil.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    DOSW wrote:
    Not my favorite off of Badmotorfinger, but it's still fucking amazing.

I still say The Shredder in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies should have been played by Kim Thayil.

i just love how many people (myself included) don't think that it's the best song off bmf, but still admit that it's one badass motherfucking song. it's a testament to just how strong badmotorfinger really is. i'd say it's my fifth fave off the album, but it's still so damned good.

i love soundgarden.
  • pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    It fucking rules, period. Still have a JCP sticker on my lunch box I use for work, looking at it right now, matter of fact. Held together by tons of scotch tape, but still there... Badmotorfinger was the first SG album (er, cassette) I bought back in November of '91, blew me the fuck away then, still does to this day.. Still kicking myself for not going to Lolapolooza with them and PJ in '92...
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    The video for this song is awesome. (Sorry Dunk, I know you would not approve of my use of that word ;))

The whole Badmotofinger album is heavy, intense and just brilliant. By far my favourite SG album.

The video was banned from MTV at one point after just one play....is it still banned or has it made an appearance elsewhere?

When I saw SG they opened with this and it just set the stage for an amazing fucking show.
  • The video was banned from MTV at one point after just one play....is it still banned or has it made an appearance elsewhere?

When I saw SG they opened with this and it just set the stage for an amazing fucking show.

I've seen it on MTV2UK a couple times -- usually in an hour long 'Banned Videos' segment. Which raises the question: Is it really all that offensive, folks?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    I've seen it on MTV2UK a couple times -- usually in an hour long 'Banned Videos' segment. Which raises the question: Is it really all that offensive, folks?

For hardcore religious people, possibly. But nowadays, people are loose about it, so it doesn't offend much people now. Besides, the song does not really say bad things about religion. It addresses people who abuse the images, which, IMO, is a good thing.

I think the bone of the video is the crucified girl. And the crucified vegetables. I couldn't care less.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Awesome song,simple as.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07