Counting Crows

edited July 2006 in Other Music
Man, what an amazing band. I've had August and Everything After for awhile and I just picked up Recovering the Sattelites and This Desert Life. All three albums are the shit. Highly recommended.

Who else loves Counting Crows???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    I agree, Counting Crows are an amazing band. I dont have all three of their albums yet but i def. enjoy their music and hope to get them all soon
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I saw them live for the first time last night. Damn if I didn't have a great time. I wasn't really expecting to like them as much as I did. They hit hard off the August disc, which is definitely their best which made me happy.

John Hickman (Cracker) was there last night and Counting Crows put up a very nice version of Low.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I so now what you mean! I got August and Everything after through columbia House catalog when my Dad and I were longtime members. Phenominal Record. In my honest opinion, some of the best songs on that record should have been radio hits (IE: Anna Begins, Sullivan Street, Murder of one, Omaha). I was privilaged to see the band do a co headlining tour with the Wallflowers in 1997, and bought Recovering the Satelites the day after the show! Again, this is a phenominal record. I really enjoyed that live show too, it appears that it was rehearsal for an MTV special that aired that November. I love the song Recovering the satelites, and Goodnight Elizabeth (though very sad). Is Good night Elizabeth about a girl that broke up with him, or a girlfriend that died? the lyrics are so heartfelt and personal, I can't tell the difference, but have always been curious about the story behind it?
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I think they are highly underrated songwriters.
    I didn't get into them until about 2 years ago when I met a guy who is a Crows fanatic (much in the same way I'm a PJ nut), and he gave me a cd of CC covers he did.
    I haveto say, I think I love his versions (solo acoustic mixes - very passionate) almost more than CC's versions :p But I think the lyrics and music are beautiful and poetic.
    Anna, Omaha, Time and Time Again, Rain King, and Round Here are my faves. :)
  • there pretty good
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    honestly I used to love them and I still adore those initial three records but the fourth one (hard candy) is really disappointing. stick with the first three and the double live in NYC that was released after recovering the satellites and they'll remain one of your favorites
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • OthersiderOthersider Posts: 19
    I like them a lot.

My personal favorite song of theirs is "Einstein on the Beach", so I consider it a shame that it wasn't selected for one of their albums. I also read somewhere that Adam got tired of it after it became a radio hit, which suggests that they probably don't play it live.

Yup, I just checked setlist.com, who have a myriad of setlists, some dating back as far as '94. Doesn't appear on one of them. :(

Oh, well, they're still a good band, and I like their stuff lots.
  • transplant wrote:
    I saw them live for the first time last night. Damn if I didn't have a great time. I wasn't really expecting to like them as much as I did. They hit hard off the August disc, which is definitely their best which made me happy.

John Hickman (Cracker) was there last night and Counting Crows put up a very nice version of Low.

wow thought i read on the Friends of Live music board that they broke up last winter...thats good to know they are back together
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Long December is a really pretty song.

haven't heard much else other than the old hits but i hear good things...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I love Counting Crows, and am one of the few who thought Hard Candy was one of their best, especially Holiday in Spain and Black and Blue, both classic songs.

To each his own.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I love Counting Crows, and am one of the few who thought Hard Candy was one of their best, especially Holiday in Spain and Black and Blue, both classic songs.

To each his own.

do you like the band LIVE? man, the people there are all counting crowsfans bigtime.!! Pearl jam fans too
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Yes what a good band they are.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    mr. jones and me

we're gonna be

big stars
  • merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    there an amazing band adam duritz is an awesome singer n brilliant live just very very very boring. they were at leeds in the 90's anyway
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • brain of c wrote:
    mr. jones and me

we're gonna be

big stars

we don't see each other much

anymore
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I love Counting Crows, and am one of the few who thought Hard Candy was one of their best, especially Holiday in Spain and Black and Blue, both classic songs.

To each his own.
    they played both of them the other night. those 2 plus Big Yellow Taxi *shudders* may have been the only 3 outside their first couple discs.
  • transplant wrote:
    they played both of them the other night. those 2 plus Big Yellow Taxi *shudders* may have been the only 3 outside their first couple discs.

Miami is one of the best Crows songs ever!
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I love Counting Crows, and am one of the few who thought Hard Candy was one of their best, especially Holiday in Spain and Black and Blue, both classic songs.

To each his own.

i think 'up all night' is one of my favorite songs ever. i like hard candy.

im going to see them in one week with the goo goo dolls (not so keen on seeing them). i also saw them with cracker back in hs and had a fantastic time. im pretty excited.
  • i think 'up all night' is one of my favorite songs ever. i like hard candy.

im going to see them in one week with the goo goo dolls (not so keen on seeing them). i also saw them with cracker back in hs and had a fantastic time. im pretty excited.

Saw them in San Diego and Phoenix. Short set..only 13 songs but it was ok. Worth it.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    i think 'up all night' is one of my favorite songs ever. i like hard candy.

Yeah I really like them a lot. I have all their albums except the new live one which I will get soon. From what I have heard of it on the radio it sounds great, I love the version of Goodnight Elisabeth on there.

I would like to see them live but all my money is tied up in 3 Pearl Jam shows in SF!!!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • i really like counting crows

i hope i get to see them live someday
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I liked them when they first came out, but I saw them in concert with The Wallflowers a couple of years ago in St. Louis and Adam Duritz was complaining about how we weren't all standing up, like the crowd in Kansas City was the night before. They also did a half-assed version of 'Mr. Jones'. In short, I don't really care for them anymore.

Did you know that the bassist for Counting Crows wrote Rolling Stone a letter about how they weren't being fair in an article they wrote about President Bush? They published it, he said that he thought Bush was a great president and that Rolling Stone was doing their readers a "disservice" for only criticizing him.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

I actually won tickets to see them here in Seattle a couple weeks ago through a radio station, but the show was on a Thursday and I couldn't get the time off work :( So bummed I missed it. Enjoy the show!!
  • Been a fan of them for a lot of years. I don't know a lot of people around my way that are still into them. But I listen to them all the time. They are a great band. I love august & everything after the most...but all the albums are great..Recovering the Sat. & hard candy are amazing.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    honestly I used to love them and I still adore those initial three records but the fourth one (hard candy) is really disappointing. stick with the first three and the double live in NYC that was released after recovering the satellites and they'll remain one of your favorites

I agree with this totally. I've been a fan since the first album came out and the first 3 albums were GREAT. but I hated "Hard Candy" and everything they''ve done since. the version of "Round Here" on that live album is great.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I agree with this totally. I've been a fan since the first album came out and the first 3 albums were GREAT. but I hated "Hard Candy" and everything they''ve done since. the version of "Round Here" on that live album is great.

Yeah the first live album they put out is great. I just got the Live at Hammerstein album yesterday and am listening to it for the first time right now. I like it a lot as well.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i'd love to hear the first album done live note for note
    sullivan street etc
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    I like them alot. My best bud is a diehard fan. I saw them a few years back with LIVE opening. Great fucking show.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
    I like "Hard Candy" but probably not as much as their other albums. I think Hard Candy is a great symbol for a memory.
  • crows are amazing, cant wait to see them again, for those who dig em, CHECK OUT THEIR LIVE ALBUMS, SIMPLY AMAZING, AMAZING VERSIONS OF songs

: )
    "no more crowbars to my head"